Relations between students and teachers

It's wrong when the student is still in school. after all, the teacher is in a position of authority over the student and that can create murky situations in terms of consent, statutory rape, etc. after the student gets out of school...well, i think it's still a little iffy, but not quite as bad.

It's wrong when the student is still in school. after all, the teacher is in a position of authority over the student and that can create murky situations in terms of consent, statutory rape, etc. after the student gets out of school...well, i think it's still a little iffy, but not quite as bad.
It's not wrong. People should be able to have sex with whoever they want to. It's their right. And they should be able to be with whoever they want too.

It's not wrong. People should be able to have sex with whoever they want to. It's their right. And they should be able to be with whoever they want too.

That's definitely not true (in my opinion). It's one thing if the teacher is 22 years old, fresh out of college, and it's an 18 year old student. It's another if the teacher is in his 30s and the student is 14. You can't just have sex with whoever you want to. There are laws against such things, regardless if it's a student and a teacher.

I tend to agree with what Alias_Day was saying.

In almost all cases if a high school teacher was to date a student it would be illegal (regardless of the student/teach code of ethics). A teacher (or anyone for that matter) who would likely be at least 22 can't date someone under the age of 18 and do anything physical with them, by law...parents could give consent though. I've been in situations where teachers were having relationships with students and not only is it creepy, but not really fair. I understand that crushes will occur, those are natural...but by becoming romantically involved with one of your students you tend to give them advantages others don't.

An assistant band director at my high school (we had lots of issues with band directors...but had one of the best bands in the state, so I guess they were doing something right) got involved with a girl who was my age (this is while we were Sophomores). Not only did he act completely unprofessional around her, but she ended up getting "private lessons" from him when others couldn't, and ultimately got first chair, when she probably didn't deserve it. Word of the relationship got to the administration and he ended up being fired...so he only hurt himself.

While I personally still think it's a bit creepy, why not wait until after they've graduated and have become legal? My junior english teacher did that. He would flirt with female students all the time and would give them extra help (which bugged the heck out of me), but nothing relationship wise occurred. He is now dating a former student who is a couple years older than me. While he's double her age and was her former teacher, it's now legal...and however creepy it may seem, they do seem to really like each other.

If people want to date former teachers or former students, that's fine...whatever floats their boat. But I don't think any of that belongs at school. If the feelings they have for each other are that strong, then they'll still be there once the student graduates.

I agree hun! The difference between office romances and a teacher-student affair is the age factor. Some offices allow co-workers to date but only if they doesn't affect their work and that they're adults about it because well they are of age and ADULTS. A teacher is supposed to be mentor, an educator maybe even a friend to students and until they graduate those are only roles that they're supposed to be! As you said, if it is true love then they can wait until graduation or give their position up (teacher or student)

I remember during my jr. year a 35 year old teacher was pursuing a 14 year old student! OK, first a man that OLD shouldn't want a girl that young. That's right R. Kelly I'm talking about you! Anyway, from what I gather the 14 year-old merely flirted to get a better grade but the teacher crossed the line by sending her a sexually graphic e-mail. That's when the 14 year-old reported him and he got fired.

Here's a question for the 18 and older crowd, how smart, experienced and mature were you at age 14? I was naive and thought that I knew everything when I really didn't. And I know that I'm not the only one. NO ONE has together at that age! Hell, most people don't have together after they graduate college!

As liberal as I am, I do believe that there should be rules, limits and boundaries that everyone must follow.

That's definitely not true (in my opinion). It's one thing if the teacher is 22 years old, fresh out of college, and it's an 18 year old student. It's another if the teacher is in his 30s and the student is 14. You can't just have sex with whoever you want to. There are laws against such things, regardless if it's a student and a teacher.
Doesn't mean I agree with the laws.

I agree...you most definitely can not have sex wih anyone you want...that just can't work. Rules and laws are often in place for a reason. In England you can legally have sex at 16, And that law is there because although they think they are mature enough...most people under the age of 16 are not mentally mature enough to deal with sex and its consequences. It is not right for a guy of 30+ to want to sleep wth a girl of 14...there is something fundamentally wrong with that and its usually for sick and gross reasons. Teachers and other members of society in authoritarian positions do not have the right to sleep with their pupils or charges, especially those under the age of consent. It does becaome murkier when the teacher is young and the pupils are 18, because then that can happen any time any where, but you have to be professional.You chose to teach knowing therisks, so you can leave if it that important to you. The 14 yr old girl in my school who keeps coming on to me is being innappropriate and i may get her removed from my class because she's doing shameless things in theopen now and thats more dangerous to me than her.

where i live the age of consent is actually 16, so legality doesn't get into it as much in the high school.
for me anyway, if one of my teachers wanted to date me, i feel it should be my decision, and i feel i could make the right decision. i wouldn't get into a relationship i didn't want just because he/she was a teacher. but i do know that some people can be taken advantage of in that way.

m-c

I agree...you most definitely can not have sex wih anyone you want...that just can't work. Rules and laws are often in place for a reason. In England you can legally have sex at 16, And that law is there because although they think they are mature enough...most people under the age of 16 are not mentally mature enough to deal with sex and its consequences. It is not right for a guy of 30+ to want to sleep wth a girl of 14...there is something fundamentally wrong with that and its usually for sick and gross reasons. Teachers and other members of society in authoritarian positions do not have the right to sleep with their pupils or charges, especially those under the age of consent. It does becaome murkier when the teacher is young and the pupils are 18, because then that can happen any time any where, but you have to be professional.You chose to teach knowing therisks, so you can leave if it that important to you. The 14 yr old girl in my school who keeps coming on to me is being innappropriate and i may get her removed from my class because she's doing shameless things in theopen now and thats more dangerous to me than her.

I completely agree.

Get this..my former high school girls basketball coach was arrested for having a relationship with a girl on the team. My coach is a female! and she's married! how disgusting.. she called off the realtionship a year after she was married, cause she wanted to have kids. if u don't believe me, here's a link.

tampabay live

Am I seeing things or are she and her husband HOLDING HANDS? Sorry, but if I was him, I'd never forgive my wife if she went off and, not only cheating on me, but also having sex with a 15-year old girl. 50 TIMES.

Teacher at my school have "reletionship" with the student but not in a sexual way. They respect us as adults but they don't have sex with us. I wouldn't put it pass a few of the teachers at my school and the sad thing I know who they are too...but like i said i wouldn't put it past them!

Mel

I think that if a teacher and a student both like each other then they should wait till the student is graduated. I mean if you love someone enough you could wait a little longer.

School is supposed to be a place to get an education. NOT have teachers and students hooking up each other. A 14 year old student and a 30 year old teacher having sex together is wrong. No one at 14 is mature enough to know weither they truely love someone or not. Nor have sex with someone 16 years older than them.

Plus it's that whole awkard issue. How would you feel if you knew that girl sitting behind you was dating a teacher? It would definately make me feel wierd and a little awkward. There's also the teacher favoring that student or passing them because they're dating.

Personally I'm glad that there are laws restricting this. Like I said if you love someone enough you can wait for them.

I think that if a teacher and a student both like each other then they should wait till the student is graduated. I mean if you love someone enough you could wait a little longer.

School is supposed to be a place to get an education. NOT have teachers and students hooking up each other. A 14 year old student and a 30 year old teacher having sex together is wrong. No one at 14 is mature enough to know weither they truely love someone or not. Nor have sex with someone 16 years older than them.

Plus it's that whole awkard issue. How would you feel if you knew that girl sitting behind you was dating a teacher? It would definately make me feel wierd and a little awkward. There's also the teacher favoring that student or passing them because they're dating.

Personally I'm glad that there are laws restricting this. Like I said if you love someone enough you can wait for them.

I agree 100% but there is always someone who slips past through the laws. If ppl want to face the facts or live in denile. It happens at almost every school. I wouldn't be shock if someone told me today that such of such teacher is having sex with that girl over there. I be like no surprise to me...and the sad thing you know the school office knows about it and they won't do felgercarb about it because it will hit papers and make the school look bad...well at least at my school anyway!

Mel

I agree 100% but there is always someone who slips past through the laws. If ppl want to face the facts or live in denile. It happens at almost every school. I wouldn't be shock if someone told me today that such of such teacher is having sex with that girl over there. I be like no surprise to me...and the sad thing you know the school office knows about it and they won't do felgercarb about it because it will hit papers and make the school look bad...well at least at my school anyway!

Wouldnt surprise me either. And it would make any school look bad. Parents would be freaking out wondering wether or not their children were off having sex with a teacher or if they were safe.

Its just that a relationship between a teacher and a pupil is not a good thing especially if it comes out in the open. Not to mention that certain parents would be really mad and annoyed with it and i dunno a teacher should teach students and falling in love with their students isnt part of that. I think there should be a line because of the student age etc and not to mention that sexual harassment etc etc is a thin line.

I like the examples giving by sugababyboo esp with how quickly things can turn around.

Back