Release Date Poll

When will Hero's Journey go Live?

• Total voters

Valendros

Cadet
When do YOU think Hero's Journey will release? Not Alpha, Not Beta, but full on, public release. Basically the day of the big release party by Simutronics (it better be in Vegas... I might actually goto that VegasCON).

Maybe we should do a betting pool, whoever gets closest to the real date gets something cool from everybody else. Maybe like the equivalent of whatever 10 dollars of RMT currency 6 months after the 'go live' date or something...

My bet is for May 25th 2009. By the way.

Just send my winnings to "Valendros" on the coolest named "RP onry" server.

My thought is 4th quarter Next year. Having heard some of the progress being made I have hopes of possibly seeing even a beta later this year early next. As far as Alpha goes I dunno how much of one they'll have since it seems mostly that the gm's kinda test a bit as they go.

With their engine pretty much completely done I'm sure more resources are being devoted to just the game. And within a few months hopefully will start with routine updates again.

But all speculation at this point, if you woulda asked me 2 years ago I probably woulda told ya 2007 or something along those lines. But either way I'll see it when I see it.

I voted Q1 2009. Two reasons:

1. The alpha testing and engine (read: core) testing are going on in-house and with the licensees. This means that once the content is built to where they want it, it's beta time.

2. While there will be some pressure towards a release in time for Christmas, Simu hasn't, for the most part, succumbed to any pressures. Complete, functioning game > slightly better release window. Remember, EQ1 was released in March. Maybe Simu will do the same and try to get spring breakers to try the game and get addicted.

Even just after 3 days of voting, you can clearly tell that MMORPG.com's forum members are much more pessimistic. Very interesting.

As they're still tight-lipped about things, I'm going to guess we're not even near beta. I'm betting they won't start letting info slip out until the end of this year as they start to iron out the details and become able to give definite answers. Plus they're a smaller company with a track record of wanting things done right before launch, so I'm expecting an even longer alpha/beta than your average MMORPG company. So, the end of 2009... and I'm being optimistic there.

Well they've said all along that beta will be very fast.

They have a lot of GMs and people using the system every day - they should have a lot of the bugs worked out just by their own staff. Mostly the beta will be for server load testing.

Personally, if I were a developer for the game, I'd spend my 8 hours developing the game and doing the systems I'm told to. And when I go home, getting together with my work buddies and playing it all night. If they don't do that, it's pretty silly since they have the ability to. It would be a lot of fun, and you get to find and fix bugs before they get even close to live.

It's also why I wish more GMs were paid employees without day jobs. They would certainly be playing on their off hours, rather than vise-versa.

It's very likely that you'll know well before beta comes out. If I were simu, when we were about 4 months away from launch (starting the process of burning the disks), I would start an immense ad campaign. A deluge of information will flow across sites such as Hero's Hall. A stand-alone character creator will be released (one that you can import options into the live game when you start... I'd rather not have to spend 10 hours making my character when the game launches). Information about each area, data about the races (numbers, not just histories), spells and abilities... NPCs... Missions...

People will salivate for at least 3-4 months before getting their hands on the 4 week low-level capped beta which will be brought right into the live game. and Viola. So as long as you check back here every 3 months or so, you should have sufficient Beta warning.

I posted this same poll on mmorpg and Player's Corner (The popular Gemstone forum)... I think we have the most hope for this game... So good job guys! But are we hopeless that we think this game will release? Or is it that we're just not as cynical as those other forums?

I'm guestimating that since they've broken the radio silence the game must be progressing towards a finished product. Nine months seems like a nice number for finishing up, and be ready for a Q4 2008 christmas release.

Course I'm probably being way too optimistic.

I wouldn’t call the new screens a break in the radio silence yet, since we got screen back last august then nothing till now. And before the august screens it was the previous April.

I’m not sure what to think at this point, the screens we just got now are of the lowlands. The lowlands that Stephanie was saying they were wrapping up on the last Dev blog she posted....back in August, 2006... (Stephanie, please come back to us!)

So that means either that they are back on the august 2006 timeline (2007 release) so 4 - 16 months... Or it means nothing and who knows...

Edit: Then again.. It looks like Stephanie has posted three times (four if you count the website update announcement) today on the official HJ boards... perhaps the winds are changing..

"Tiny and cute" is not what "I" want in a server LOL... not sure about the rest of you.

To be honest, this poll is a lot less pessimistic as I thought it would be.

But why would people be voting 'never'?

If you truly thought it will never come out, why do you come to the forums and read up on it?

It's not just screenshots. It's also some concept arts and newer circle movies, plus a promise of more updates in the next few months, plus a news post asking for more worldbuilders.

This could indicate they're getting there. No gaurantee, obviously, but it's hardly insignificant if you ask me.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the update. I love the new movies and such.

I'm just saying that I'm more in a "show me" state of mind now. Simu doesn't have a great track record of releasing anything in a timely manner, promises or not. The term simu-soon wasn't just pulled out of the air for nothing.

Out of the release, the movies are the most important to me, since the screen shots and art could be dismissed as 2 year old stuff. I suppose the movies could too, but they at least have the feeling of "new".

Really, the fact that someone in-house was making some sort of a presence means more to me then that small content release. Hopefully it wasn't a one time thing before everyone goes into reclusion again.

Went with 4th quarter 2010. I think beta will go on longer than they expect, like it does for almost every beta I've been in. You test things in-house and you find the big stuff, then all of a sudden you find a bunch of other things that dont work right when you have testers come in that dont do things like a developer would. The difference in seeing the game for the first time and thinking in many different ways. Wont come out this decade.

I almost, almost chose 'never'. But Pinn would eat me, so I went with 4th quarter 09, cause it sounds about right and it's good to be hopeful ^^

I expect HJ the day after DR gets Necromancers, cause then I'll know that the impossible is possible.

Alright. So if this game DOES come out in 2 years (after being actively worked on for >6 years)... How viable is it going to be as competition?

Other games will take the innovative features that are in HJ and take them for their own... A lot of games have let their players dress how they want (certainly not to the HJ's n-th degree)... Games have very complex facial feature options... WOW released a slotting system for some gear somewhat recently...

If this game isn't released soon, all the features that make it revolutionary will be completely stolen, and reworked to be better, on other games.

Would you rather it be released very soon with a relatively small world size and capped level, then have packs released over time thus keeping their innovative features innovative? Or would you want a large world released in a couple years with a higher capped level but most of the things that make this game so unique be done (and some be done better) in other games?

I wouldn't really say WoW's slotting system is like Wyr slotting except in the "this block fits here" sort of way.. Besides, if you look at it that way, HJ stole that idea too. Dressing how you want was around before HJ as well, and so was face morphing.

It's not about the idea itself being original, it how well it's implemented.

Back