Politics Religion and Government

I know that this is a controversial topic, but I peronally think that having all signs of relgion erased from our goverment is ridiculous. after all, the creators of this country were relgious, and they did pretty good at governing.

The government should DEFINITELY not be religious. Just look at Iran, they have a religion based government and women aren't allowed very many rights. If the government were religious, it would not be fair to everyone, there are too many religions in the United States and not all religions would get their say.

after all, the creators of this country were relgious, and they did pretty good at governing.

Yes, they were religious, but they also made religion and state seperate and wrote that into the constitution. Religion can't have any influence on laws.

Sarkney_fan020 said:
The government should DEFINITELY not be religious. Just look at Iran, they have a religion based government and women aren't allowed very many rights. If the government were religious, it would not be fair to everyone, there are too many religions in the United States and not all religions would get their say.
Yes, they were religious, but they also made religion and state seperate and wrote that into the constitution. Religion can't have any influence on laws.
[post="1269369"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I agree completely.

Whose to say Christianity is the 'religion of choice'? There are thousands of religions with contradicting opinions...how could we fairly represent everyone fairly with a religious based government, that is really on Christian based?

Religion and governement should be completely 100% separate.

I agree that our government should not be religion based and our religions should not be ruled by the government. Our country was founded on the principales found in the Bible. Laws were made based on the ten commandments. It is a fact that can not be changed. But we have people that wish that would go away, so they are wasting our tax dollars trying to change things. When you are changing the pledge of aligence and removing the ten commandments from places that they have always been then you are disrespecting our founding fathers and the principals that this country is based on. I don't understand why some people feel the need to change what is already there. It is not hurting anyone.

You hear people talk about the separation of church and state, but they don't remember why our founding fathers insituted it. In England, the King or Queen was the head of the Church. And at that time, the King or Queen was the head of government. What they said was law. Any changes that occured in the church came from the throne. Our founding fathers instituted separation of church and state to keep the government out of church. That was one of the main reasons, the pilgrims came to America.

A big fat NO.

But that doesn't mean it won't. For example, the US has had mostly Protestant presidents (correct?), and the public is mostly one religion (can't remember, I'm brain-dead), which means that these religion's ideas will be brought into the government anyway

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>NO</span>

After all, don't Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jedi, followers of the Church of Mammals (those two aren't serious, but they should still count), and, importantly, ATHIESTS all have their wishes respected?

I don't understand why some people feel the need to change what is already there. It is not hurting anyone.
But it is hurting people.

The horrific gun crime rates in the US, and the attitude towards homosexuals are two examples that spring to mind.

after all, the creators of this country were relgious, and they did pretty good at governing.
Yeah, sure you were fine if you were an upper or middle class WHITE CHRISTIAN. But that doesn't exactly represent everybody, does it now? It's just that in the past people who were 'different' didn't speak out because they were so repressed.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody in the world has the right to force their religious beliefs onto other people. Just because YOU believe something is right (because it is written in your holy book or something) doesn't mean you have the right to make other people live by your religion. After all, not every religion can be 'right'.

Absolutely not. Just because governments and law are based on religion from way back, that does not mean that religion should contiue to control the law; that's why laws change. It is also true that just as no one political party will ever fully represent everyone, no religion can, so it is unfair to rule a country with religion. Both the law and many religions are agents of social control, but the government should respect that there are other religions, and should not be entirely founded on one. Then where do you stand in the eyes of the law if you do not belong to that religion?

Oh, SarkneySpy, I'm not sure if you intended to, but you put the word 'religion' twice under the title...;)

Jai :rain:

well, it doesn't really matter what we think here in America, because the constitution says no (in pretty plain terms). First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

Natalia said:
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>NO</span>

After all, don't Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jedi, followers of the Church of Mammals (those two aren't serious, but they should still count), and, importantly, ATHIESTS all have their wishes respected?

But it is hurting people.

The horrific gun crime rates in the US, and the attitude towards homosexuals are two examples that spring to mind.
Yeah, sure you were fine if you were an upper or middle class WHITE CHRISTIAN. But that doesn't exactly represent everybody, does it now? It's just that in the past people who were 'different' didn't speak out because they were so repressed.
[post="1269756"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Great points, I agree completely.

I think its unfair to say that it is only Christians who don't get there should be separation of church and state. Can you name any Christain autocracies, I can't think of any. There is no one religion that dislikes it more than another. On one hand you have countries like Iran where religion is part of government and Turkey which is totally secular.

Religion is something you practice privately. It should not intrude on any else.

noggi16 said:
I think its unfair to say that it is only Christians who don't get there should be separation of church and state. Can you name any Christain autocracies, I can't think of any. There is no one religion that dislikes it more than another. On one hand you have countries like Iran where religion is part of government and Turkey which is totally secular.

Religion is something you practice privately. It should not intrude on any else.
[post="1271453"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
some would argue that the US is moving in that direction. the Religious Right, while a minority in this country, makes up a very vocal portion of the Republican majority, who have control over all the branches of the federal government.

Despite the majority views on this topic, I don't think its possible to have this separation. After all, the 10 commandments in front of certain government buildings has caused disputes for many years and yet, it still hasn't been resolved. Just the same as the word "God" in the pledge of allegiance. Or when the president is sworn into office through the bible. These aspects wil still remain even though their is a separation between state and church for most things.

Moonlite Star said:
Despite the majority views on this topic, I don't think its possible to have this separation. After all, the 10 commandments in front of certain government buildings has caused disputes for many years and yet, it still hasn't been resolved. Just the same as the word "God" in the pledge of allegiance. Or when the president is sworn into office through the bible. These aspects wil still remain even though their is a separation between state and church for most things.
[post="1271888"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
That doesn't make it okay.

A lot of other countries in this world get by just fine without it. Things need to change to keep up with the times. A strongly Christian way of running a country where a lot of people aren't Christian just isn't on - escpecially as the US likes to think they promote freedom of speech and all of that (yeah right).

Back