Politics Religion in Education

Kewii

April 27th
I have to do a presentation on religion in education and I would like to get a sample of people's opinions,
So if you dont mind helping me out, I have three questions.

1. Does Religion Belong in Education?

2. Should taking Religion be mandatory? Specifically for non-public schools

3. Should all religions be represented in education. For example: in Ontario we have the Roman Catholic School Board. Should every religion have this opportunity?

Why or Why not, for all three. As well as any other opinions you have are much appreciated

I don't belive the two should mix, and my problem with separate boards is that part of going to school is meeting new people of diverse backgrounds. When you go to a Catholic school, everyone is Christian, and often from the same cultural background. I think its a better experience for students to be exposed to their peers of different religions, races, and backgrounds.

No, I think religion is something completely separate from school work. I do think that teachers should teach the importance that religion has had on history, however, and cover topics such as The Crusades, The Inquisition, etc. I learned about the main religions (Chrisitanity, Buddhism, Islam, Jewish, Mormanism, etc) in school, but they never said that one was superior to the other. I think it's important for schools to teach general factual information and then let the students decide.

Absolutely not. Even if a child goes to a non-public school, they should still have the right to choose what classes they want to take. What if somebody was denied taking a fine arts class such as music or art because they had to learn about something they didn't believe in?

3. Should all religions be represented in education. For example: in Ontario we have the Roman Catholic School Board. Should every religion have this opportunity?
I don't think so. I think it's crossing the line between separation of church and state, at least in the US.

Oh and plus, I don't like when religious beliefs interfere with a good education, like if in a Christian school they don't teach evolution because they belive so firmly in the whole Adam&Eve deal.

I'm agnostic and I go to a private catholic school, so i'll happily answer these questions!
I think that world religion is a part of history. however a separate course, i don't think it belongs in education at all. maybe as an optional course, but deffinatly not required, which leads into the next question.
2. Should taking Religion be mandatory? Specifically for non-public schools.
No. I completely disagree with my schools requirement of 4 years of religion yet only 2 years of math. If you want to take a world religion class, fine, but don't force the philosophies of catholosism down my throat.
Ummm... i don't reallly understand that question sorry lol...

But anyways, as an agnostic going to a private catholic school, i am forced every day to pray in every class, go to religion class, and to lie my way through all of it, because i told my religion teacher i wasn't sure if god existed and he told me to shut up, and he also hated me, so i told him i had a life changing experience and now i believe in god. i have to bull s*** my way through everything now. it's depressing for me to lie every day in papers, projects, and all the other things i do.

since I went to school in Canada for a while and had to take religion(catholic school) I'll be glad to share my opinion.

1. Religion does not belong in education, but for those who want to study it, they could offer a class to them.

2. NO it really shouldn't and I wouldn't know in public schools but for little childeren it might cause problems.

3. To tell you the thruth I don't really understand the question either but that might just be because I'm dutch, lol.

no no no no no, because it is impossible to incorporate everyone's religion (or lack thereof) and it's not right to force one religion on anyone, especially kids whose minds are more accepting.

[
I think religion should be studied as a science, not as a way of life. If you keep it in this context it is purely educational and everyone can gain from the experience. The only problem would be people with preconceived religous bias coming in that are against the study of other religions. When I say studied as a science I mean studied impartially not pracitced. This would enable students to learn about other cultures and other peoples ways of life and have a better all around understanding of those that are different from themselves.QUOTE]. Should taking Religion be mandatory? Specifically for non-public schools[/QUOTE] If your parents send you to a Catholic school then it should be mandatory if that's what you mean by non public. Other wise how do you know what religion to make mandatory?
It would be impossible to to represent all religions as there are hundreds or probably even thousands of them, but I think it would be healthy to represent 5or6 of the most popular and focus on them. I think I misunderstood what you meant about representing the religions. If there represented as School boards? I guess that would be OK for small scale situations like private schools where you had the option but I would not like to be forced to go to a religous school. I wouldn't want it to be mandatory. Optional only.

OK thanx for the help so far.

Just to clear up the third question (hopefully)
I mean by it should every religion have its own seperate school board.
I hope that makes it clearer.

So Should there be a
Jewish School Board
Protestant School Board,
HIndu School Board
etc

i think world RE is fine because it incoorporates everyone and it is kinda part of social studies/history... but i don't think it should be required to take 4 years in one course of one specific religion (in my case catholisism) it is really hard to lie so much in order to get a good grade, and whenever i tell my religious friends that i dont believe in god, they look at me like i'm insane. i hate it, and i've had social issues at my school because of it.

I mean there's nothing wrong with learning it, but preaching it is another thing. Like when I sit down in Global History class and learn about Judaism and Christianity, and we've read passages from the bible, torah, and buddists texts as primary sources, there was nothing really wrong. Nothing was imposed on us, it was just very straighforward and educational. I find it quite useful to understand other religions. I mean, sometimes the conversation goes off on a tangent and we start discussing ethics and such...but the purpose isn't to make us do something, just to enrich our minds. I have a real problem when people start preaching the stuff and ostracize you decide to disagree.

Like tonight, the head choreographer lead a prayer before our highly competitive performance with the Juniors and Seniors. Before she started she told anyone if they don't want to they don't have too. But basically everyone did. I'm agnostic, and I joined in. It boosted the spirits of our group...and the fact of the matter is I didn't get the whole religious aspect out of it, but growing closer to my peers. I've been to mass with my soccer team, completely strange and foreign to me, but it's the experiences you have in life that enable you to grow. ^_^

However, I disagree in taking 4 years of religion. I doubt I would make it through, especially if any of the papers I would have to write were opinion based or research papers where we have to interpret primary sources. Quite a few oppositions...

No because to encompass all of the religions represented in the US, you know in order to be fair and all, it would take the entire school day just to cover half of them. I think time would certainly be better spent making sure that 100% of today’s graduates can read above an 8th grade level, which sadly many cannot.

If you go to a private school all bets are off. If they so wished they could teach student the proper way to sacrifice virgins because they are well out of the jurisdiction of what the public and the government says they can and cannot teach.

Yes, if religion is going to be taught in school. Something in a world religions would be nice as ever major war the world has ever seen was caused by religious differences. Perhaps people would actually learn to be tolerant and less judgmental of one another.

If religion is not going to be taught in school, no mention of any religion principle or practice should ever be mentioned unless it served some purpose in a historical context.

Yes, in the proper form I believe it does. I took a Major World Religion's course (in my non-public school, but still...) and it was one of the most enlightening experiences I've had. No, we can not incorperate everyone's religion into education, but I think there is a great benefit to at least hitting on the major ones. Learning about these religions helps people understand why people do what they do for their beliefs, even if they still don't accept it.

Yes, if you go to a non-public school, that is what you signed up for...end of story.

Still, not quite clear on this question...so I'll just leave it alone :smiley:

1. Yes i htink religion should be in our education. I have had it since the foruth grade and you learn so much, even tho a lot of its repeated through elementry school and middle school but ur just getting smarter with the same knowledge....but once u are in HS you learn a whole new story and whole new meaning of religion and how it came to be and how everthying was created in our lives and why the things today are the way they are. Where all the bad things came from....your trust....your faith....the good things in our lives. And when u are learning bout this you have a very different aproach on life....your faith, beliefs, love and so much more are very strong. And at my school we do have it and you have to take it, because i go to a Catholic school, but in a way i wish they had a religion class with all different kinds of religions so you can see how other religions approach things and what they do. But that is really rare at my school b/c everyon is catholic except for like prolly 50 ppl at the most.

2. No i dont think religion should be madatory. But it is in my school which i dont have a problem with....but sumtimes its very boring but mostly very educational and very well taught and interesting. And i htink in public schools they should have it. With all the religions b/c not everyone is the same, for sure, but i really think they should try that out.

3. When u have your religion class you have your "basic" religion.....but there are times when others are mentioned and we study them for awhile or so. But i htink you should sty with your your religion b/c if u study so many different kinds of religion ppl could get mixed up and not know wut to believ anymore.

I think that it doesn't. At my school, religion isn't offered, and that's just fine.

Like I said, it's not even offered here. If you want to learn about religion, go to church.

Well, I guess that it would help people of different religions learn more about their religion specifically. But too many school boards would just seperate religions, plus, like SydneyFan said, there's too many religions to represent them all.

It doesn't "belong" in public education, but there's a lot to learn from different religions. There should at least be the option. I agree with Marlene and SydneyFan. As long as it's for educational study purposes and the beliefs aren't imposed on you.

Yes. What do you expect from a Catholic school, for religion to be optional? It kinda defeats the purpose. I'm tired of my classmates who bellyache about having to take religion when they're in a Catholic school. They're not being forced to be Catholic. They're choosing to go to a Catholic school (with the exception of those who are forced by their parents). People don't go to medical school to study astrology. Religion isn't taught in religious schools to enforce abstinence. It's meant to give a deeper understanding of religion, to look below the surface. Of all things, it should give you a more open mind of the world instead of give you a list of rules to follow. Typical classes are Old/New Testament, Church History, Sacraments, World Religions, Morality, Social Justice, and Catholic Lifestyles. I really enjoyed my Old/New Testament and World Religions classes because there was so much I didn't know about my own religion as well as others.

It would probably be impossible to have all religions represented, but they should have the opportunity.

And I've posted about this before, so some of you may be hearing a repeat. Not all religious schools are like people imagine them, with nuns walking around, priests teaching, and beliefs being shoved down your throat. I've been in a Catholic school since the 3rd grade, and high school especially is very inclusive of all beliefs. While our religious studies are based on the assumption that students are Christian, it's still for educational purposes. Spiritual growth is like an option for the Catholics who want to take their education further and practice their beliefs (there's a countless number of Christians who are "labeled" Christian but don't act like it). There are prayers, but you're not forced to participate in them. You just have to respect those who do, aka don't yell while worhipping. You have to attend Mass, but again, you don't have to believe, just respect. There aren't really limitations as one would expect. In my school, and I imagine most Catholic schools (Christian schools not included), evolution is taught. And in my school, there's a great diversity. It's made up of minorities--African Americans, Koreans, Filipinos, Hispanics, and a few Middle Easterns and Europeans. People come from a wide range of backgrounds. There's atheists and Muslims, including teachers. It's probably not as diverse as a public school, but that's for a simple reason--private schools aren't as large.

But ultimately, it depends on the individual school. Maggie, for example, goes to a school with closed-minded nuts. :( :P

Sarah Jan 31 2004 said:
I think that it doesn't. At my school, religion isn't offered, and that's just fine.

Like I said, it's not even offered here. If you want to learn about religion, go to church.
Not all churches offer Bible study. Your school doesn't offer religion, fine for you, but what about those who want it? What about the Christians who can't afford a private school? Church isn't a school--it's a place of worship, where the priest reads from the Bible. How about the interpretation, analyzation, and study of the Bible and other religions?

i'm a bit confused by your questions. are you asking if a certain religion should be taught as the "right" religion? if so, then absolutely not. church is the place for that, not school. especially since kids are required to attend school. if you are asking if many different religions should be taught from an objective standpoint, then i think that's fine, but i don't think it should be mandatory.

thanx for all of your opinions.

I may be using them as quotes in my presentation. But they'll be anonymous. If you have a problem with this please let me know.

Back