Politics Religion in Education

scope said:
people dont like learning about eveolution(sp) because it goes against what they are taught in church.
[post="1000718"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Ironic that you would bring up evolution in education since the Scope's Monkey Trials were such a big part of it. (Sorry, random thought).

Anyways, I will first say that I have pretty much only known religion in education my whole life-but now I'm in a public college. And I said it before, I think students at public schools should be allowed to choose to take a Major World Religions class, I think the views you learn are invaluable. And just because something is thrown out there, doesn't mean it's being forced on you or that you have to accept it. Information is just information, and you'll never know when you use it.
The evolution debate (which I did a huge report on last year, I find it very interesting) is actually ironic to. Evolution is just a theory. You can't prove it. Religion is beliefs. You really can't prove that either-that's why it's called faith. So, if one says that religion shouldn't be taught in schools then they should also be arguing that the theory of evolution shouldn't be taught. It just seems to make sense that those two views would coincide, but does anyone see it that way?

See I wouldn't care if it was an option but I don't feel it necessary for it to be part of the academic classes. Some people don't believe in any religion. That's why it's not really necessary. Some people could be highly offended too.

Alias_Addict47 said:
See I wouldn't care if it was an option but I don't feel it necessary for it to be part of the academic classes. Some people don't believe in any religion. That's why it's not really necessary. Some people could be highly offended too.
[post="1001014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

...and some peole are highly offended that scientists imply that we decended from monkeys. Still my question stands, if allow evolution in schools you should also allow religion. You can't argue one, with out really arguing the other.

Princess Jeanie said:
...and some peole are highly offended that scientists imply that we decended from monkeys.  Still my question stands, if allow evolution in schools you should also allow religion.  You can't argue one, with out really arguing the other.
[post="1001151"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Evolution is really not faith nor a religion. Scientists have very good reason/proof to say that humans developed from some type of ape. Quite frankly, there is a huge difference between monkies and apes. There are proves that these old kinds of people existed. Fossils, drawings, and there have been experiments that says "life comes from pre-existng life" so basically religion is a faith, while evolution is more of a proven science. It may not be definite but there are proof.
--Mandy :angelic:

mystery_chick said:
Evolution is really not faith nor a religion. Scientists have very good reason/proof to say that humans developed from some type of ape. Quite frankly, there is a huge difference between monkies and apes. There are proves that these old kinds of people existed. Fossils, drawings, and there have been experiments that says "life comes from pre-existng life" so basically religion is a faith, while evolution is more of a proven science. It may not be definite but there are proof.
--Mandy :angelic:
[post="1002051"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Okay, sorry I mispoke, Evolution is about apes, not monkeys--but the fact is evolution offends people too. That's why from time to time it's been banned from schools. The fact that evolutionary theory encourages atheism, offends a great number of people. There have been many other ideas presented for teaching evolution without denying the existance of a God. Evolution is a theory...which means there are still so many holes. You can believe it or not, and either way you can't be proven wrong. In many ways religion is much the same, there are very strong arguements for and against. My point in dragging this out is that we can accept one in schools because we call it "science" and we can't the other because it's "religion".

A scientist can make a pretty damn compelling case for evoultion using hard facts.
A religious perseon can almost make a case for creationism using phrases out of a story book.

AliasHombre said:
A scientist can make a pretty damn compelling case for evoultion using hard facts.
A religious perseon can almost make a case for creationism using phrases out of a story book.
[post="1002276"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Thanks man, I appreciate the way you reduce the Bible to a mere storybook. :rolleyes: But, the point is, this isn't Evolutionism vs. Creationism. There's straight Evolution and straight Creationism, but between there is so many different mixes. There's Divine Plan Evolutionism (Theistic Evolution), Intelligent Design (ID) and Creation Science and many others that all have valid points and proofs.

Princess Jeanie said:
Thanks man, I appreciate the way you reduce the Bible to a mere storybook.  :rolleyes:  But, the point is, this isn't Evolutionism vs. Creationism.  There's straight Evolution and straight Creationism, but between there is so many different mixes.  There's Divine Plan Evolutionism (Theistic Evolution), Intelligent Design (ID) and Creation Science and many others that all have valid points and proofs.
[post="1002367"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Then what is it if its not a story book? Thats all it does, it tells a story, and if you believe it, you call yourself christian.

I'm athiest and I somewhat believe that we decended from apes but I really really don't think that actually. It sounds so stupid :lol: ^_^ Evolution is different though because it is scentifically based and not meant to offend people who are heavy in religion. On the hand where people teach actual religion is different. Many different religions and so many different ways to believe in one. Many will be more offended by real actual religion teaching than the facts of evolution (really no facts.) God is faith, evolution is scientific ;)

AliasHombre said:
Then what is it if its not a story book?  Thats all it does, it tells a story, and if you believe it, you call yourself christian.
[post="1003403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yeah, the Old Testament is stories (many which even Christians don't believe are "true" per se, but that have truths in them) and old Jewish laws. The New Testament though, Christians see as historical reaccountings of the life of Jesus and all that surround it. It isn't just a "storybook".

maybe public school should offer a class teaching religion side of creation and only those who want to take it should take it and then they should have a class evolution side of creation and then they cant complain.

Princess Jeanie said:
Yeah, the Old Testament is stories (many which even Christians don't believe are "true" per se, but that have truths in them) and old Jewish laws.  The New Testament though, Christians see as historical reaccountings of the life of Jesus and all that surround it.  It isn't just a "storybook".
[post="1003642"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Exactly a story, which you believe is true.

AliasHombre said:
Exactly a story, which you believe is true.
[post="1003852"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Okay, fine...we're arguing symantics. We'll call it a storybook, that's fine...BUT on the same note-it accepted by many please respect that.

Back