• mormon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pagan

• protestant

• Total voters
murkywater said:
i really do not understand how you think there is some guy up in the sky. and everyone thinks god is a GUY! maybe its a girl. i dunno. i wanna believe in greek gods.... they're so cool. can someone explain how you really think there is someone guiding everything..., :blink:
First of all, no one said God is in the sky, it's just a sort-of-like-a-myth-old-wive's-tale thing. :lol:
And it's just the common idea that God is a guy, because Jesus was a guy, and Jesus was sent to earth in God's image.

And I'm not trying to be a missionary or anything, I'm just explaining my religion, Catholicism.

Catholicism, and many other religions, is based on faith--believing without seeing. How do we know God exists? Religions tend to answer 6 basic questions: What is our destiny? What is right/wrong? (those are the only two I remember, cuz I just learned the lesson this week) Who gives us life, a mind, where do we go when we die, what's the purpose of living? Without God (or the god of any religion), these questions would remain unanswered.

And some people believe that Jesus did not exist. But the fact is, whether or not he is the Son of God, he did exist. If you're taking World History, you'll know that the ancient Romans were very good in keeping records of important events. Jesus is not only found in the Bible, but the Romans actually recorded his existence. And for a man to create a new religion that would last for 2000 years, tha largest religion of the world, to have created such a large movement in ancient Rome, could this have been a noormal man?

The miracles of Jesus--did he really walk on water, turn water into wine, feed hundreds of people with only pieces of bread and fish? Those wwho don't believe in God tend to think that Christians take the Bible literally, but we don't. The Bible is not a history book, it's a book of religious truth. We don't take the Bible and say, "Did this really happen?" Instead, we look for the meaning, the moral of the story. Jesus may not have healed the blind, but he cared for people, people with faith. Again, we do not look to the Bible for historical records--in fact, some parts of the Bible may be untrue or made up--but we are looking for the religious truth--how we should act in life, what God means to us. Adam and Eve may not have existed, but the religious truth is, Adam and Eve (who represents people in general) defied God, and so they (we) were punished. But God is loving and forgiving, and he gave them (us) many good things in life, a hope for the future.

Some people think that science and religion can't exist together. It can. Again, it's that saying again--The Bible is for religious truth. God most likely didn't create the world in six days. Many (maybe even most) Catholics believe in evolution, a theory that once opposed the church.

I hope this answers your question ^_^

And a little side note--the Roman and Greek gods are mythical creatures--they were made up to answers questions like how was the world created? The reason why the Romans, who originally strongly opposed Cathlocism, made Catholicism the established religion of the emipire is because God gave the people hope. He was loving, forgiving, caring, and gave the people something to believe in. The Roman gods were distant, warlike creatures, who didn't provide much but myths.

I was brought up Catholic but only just recently have I decided I don't believe in any religion at all, even though my parents are trying to force me into it. No thanks.

well you can't live forever and besides when you die you can go to heaven to live with God, which is WAY better than living on earth. so ppl who die go to a better place. and God has reasons for everything he does. you just have to have faith

murkywater said:
im definitely atheist. i really do not understand how you think there is some guy up in the sky. and everyone thinks god is a GUY! maybe its a girl. i dunno. i wanna believe in greek gods.... they're so cool. can someone explain how you really think there is someone guiding everything..., :blink:
i know what you mean....god could be a girl

Aliasgirl47 said:
well you can't live forever and besides when you die you can go to heaven to live with God, which is WAY better than living on earth. so ppl who die go to a better place. and God has reasons for everything he does. you just have to have faith
thats the chrisatian/catholic belief...that you go to heaven. some ppl think you get reincartnated (i sort of belive that), or that you're dead...forever

VaughnFan13 said:
murkywater said:
im definitely atheist. i really do not understand how you think there is some guy up in the sky. and everyone thinks god is a GUY! maybe its a girl. i dunno. i wanna believe in greek gods.... they're so cool. can someone explain how you really think there is someone guiding everything..., :blink:
i know what you mean....god could be a girl
Yeah! I like that idea!

Back