Renewal

LadyKat

Cadet
Okay, I know this is probably just a wild rumor, but I have heard that ABC has not yet renewed Alias for the 2004-2005 season, but are "this close" to renewing The Practice and NYPD Blue. Does anyone know if they have or are planning on renewing Alias? Please let me know.

Okay, I know this is probably just a wild rumor, but I have heard that ABC has not yet renewed Alias for the 2004-2005 season, but are "this close" to renewing The Practice and NYPD Blue. Does anyone know if they have or are planning on renewing Alias?

they have an 8 season contract!

As far as I know they haven't renewed the show for a fourth season, yet. And just because JG has a new contract for a billion years with the network doesn't mean ABC has to renew the show.

HOWEVER, since we all know that ABC is seriously hurting in the drama show dept. I would seriously doubt even they are that stupid and not renew. Alias is essential for them during the 9 o'clock slot on Sunday. I think typically networks announce renewals and the upcoming schedule sometime April/May. For some shows (old tried and trues) they may announce earlier (ex. the Practice and NYPD Blue rumor you heard). I know that the WB has already renewed Charmed for an eighth? season but last year the crew of Angel didn't find out until like mid May if they'd have another season. So it's not quite time to panic just yet ^_^

karlee said:
they have an 8 season contract! ^_^

~karlee :super:
JG has an 8 season contract to remain with the show if it lasts that long, but it has nothing to do with it getting renewed. That's the network's decision. They can cancel it at any time. But it's pretty likely it'll be renewed for a fourth season, for a multitude of reasons. Don't start worrying yet.

Why is this in the spoiler section? :blink:

alright... im gonna explain something, and u may not understand it, but just know that Alias is no where near getting cancelled. Here's why:
Whether a show gets cancelled or not is not just based on viewers, but on how much money is spent on advertising the show versus how much money AND critic support a show recieves. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a chart that had the shows in order of how much ad money is spent and how much it brings in... Alias was 24 on the list of 156 shows. + the show has a very STRONG backing by the critics. I say dont worry about the show being cancelled... I think we are gonna be around for a while... plus I heard the ratings for Full Disclosure were pretty strong - Am I sensing a ratings revolution?

I heard they had a contract --but anyway, ALIAS is the only thing that ABC has--really--if ABC gets rid of ALIAS, they won't make it any further. . . (sorry to those of u who have another favorite ABC show, even though I'm sure you'll agree that ALIAS is #1!)

This is from VartanHo.com

Cox News Service

January 15, 2004

[Alias blurb]

By Steve Murray

Good news for fans worried about the fate of Jennifer Garner's series, a critical hit with respectable but not great ratings: "We love that show," (ABC Entertainment President Susan) Lyne said. "It's not going anywhere."

Looks like Alias is here to stay for awhile! Yay!

Alias is not going anywhere for a while. In fact, they are putting it up to be sold into broadcast syndication for 2005 at the NAPTE conference (where they sell current and new shows to stations, cable, etc.). This is good news. Plus 10-8 wraps up their season on 1-25 (no Alias and Golden Globes-JG is up for best actress in a drama). On Feb. 15 Extreme Makeover: Home Edition will be the new lead in for Alias and I have heard rumors that Karen Sisco is coming back and will have a new time slot. I hope that will become Alias' new lead in.

Sorry if that is too much info :smiley:

While I can't say for certain....I would venture a guess that ABC will renew Alias for a 4th season. I mean, come on! It's the best show on their entire network. I can't think of any other show that I would watch on ABC besides Alias. That, and the 4th season is that "magic" season where shows can go into syndication. ABC tends to make a bit more money if they can get it up to the magic ep count that allows them to syndicate the show. In short, I think they'll keep it! I'll keep my fingers crossed all the same though...

Seth

Okay, I just confused myself.
When you people say that ABC is going to put it up to be sold into broadcast syndication for 2005 at the NAPTE conference (where they sell current and new shows to stations, cable, etc.).

Does that mean ABC and another channel on cable will show Alias? Or does it mean that ABC wont show it any more, only the channel that got the syndicated show? (If they do the broadcasting syndication.)

Please someone answer my questions!! I really feel stupid. :thinking: :(

Oh, also I think they will keep it for the 4th season.

Reasons why Alias will not be cancelled (reiterating what some others have said):

- Alias has such a strong and loyal fanbase.
- Alias is a big moneymaker (and spender :lol:smiley: from advertising and merchandise. How many books, action figures, magazines do you see for other ABC shows?
- Not so great in the ratings, but better than many other ABC shows. Alias also does well in the demographics.
- ABC execs have said that Alias is one of their only dramas that "work"
- Critical acclaim. Just about every critic places Alias in its Top 10 and Alias has received 22 Emmy nominations in two years.
- The rising star power of Emmy-nominated Golden Globe-winngin Jennifer Garner.
- ABC would be just plain stupid to let go of Alias.

Back