RENT

i thought maureen and joanne did get back together in the end...

anyway, the point of it? to appreciate what you have and appreciate the people around you. it was about love and community. the AIDS issue only reinforces that, because in 1989, HIV was a death sentence. people didn't live for years on antiretrovirals. AZT had just come on the market. and it wasn't about their journey to avoid paying rent. that was just a small part of it. the message was much bigger than that.

i'll grant you that the scene at the end was a little unbelievable, but the rest of the movie was so good, i overlooked that flaw.

it was pretty good, but a lot better on stage. they cut two of the best songs which really upset me. but overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

m-c

Yeah I was sad that they cut "Christmas Bells" "Halloween" and the end of "Goodbye Love" but overall I loved seeing the original cast (Daphne and Fredi excepted.) Jesse L. Martin really moved me as Collins and Rosario Dawson was all kinds of hot as Mimi. I really liked the dream sequence in "Tango Maureen" and the montage during "Without You" had me sobbing like a body (esp. with the disappearing people in the Life Support meetings, Collins holding Angel in a hospital bed, and Roger catching Mimi buying drugs).

IF you cant tell from my sig and av i seriously loved the movie. I havent had time to go to the movies in months but i made time for Rent and i really would like to go again lol

Seriously obsessed with this movie. I went to see it the day it came out only because my sister wanted to see it and I have now seen it 3x. I've never seen it on Broadway and now I don't know if I want to unless it's the original cast or atleast the ones that are in the movie. It has also made me an Idina Menzel fan who I think has a gorgeous voice. I bought the Wicked soundtrack because of her and I'm in love with Defying Gravity. Anyway she is my favorite in Rent or atleast one of my top faves because I really did love everyone of em.

Halloween was filmed as well as the entire Goodbye Love. Most of Goodbye Love is still there. (Basically like 3-4 minutes were cut because Chris thought it was just too overwhemling) But this is all supposed to be on the dvd. Xmas Bells, Contact, and plenty of other songs didn't make it to the script...but I <3 the new spin on HYN. Who died when the begining of LVB was spoken?

The story centers around Mark's documentary, and Maureen is a facet of his life. Her relationship can also be juxtaposed to the other two on many levels. RENT without Maureen is soooo not RENT. (Though I must add that she is just a supporting character...a highly amusing one nevertheless...)

marlene.jpg

^from the lovely Ms. Menzel

Ooh Marlene you're so lucky you got see Idina. How was it? If it was still playing I would definitely be going to see it but I know I will for sure be going to see whatever she is in next.

Maureen though not a huge part of Rent, if she wasn't in it I probably wouldn't like it as much. I mean I absolutley love it but if she weren't in it I would like it a little less. Unless of course it was played by someone other that Idina then it wouldn't really matter to me.

Melissa i LOVE your sig and av. I was already and fan of Idina because of Wicked and she was one of the main reasons i saw (and fell in love with) Rent.

I CANNOT wait for the DVD to come out - even if it may be a while.

Thanks!! I feel like it took me forever to find those pics, I knew they were around because I've seen some of them in other banners and I just really wanted the one that is my av also. So the others were a bonus once I found that one. Unfortunetly I didn't find Idina until the movie so I've missed her in everything but I will catch her in whatever she does next. I am going to go see Wicked at some point because I've wanted to see it forever but I've been listening to the soundtrack and I don't know how I'll like it with other people singing the songs I love, mostly Defying Gravity (same goes with Rent). I mean I know I'll like it, it will just be weird but that's awesome that you have seen her. And I too can't wait for the Rent DVD.

I was going to go see Rent again this Friday but the stupid snow made the roads a pain *sigh* I hope to see it at least once more before it's out of theaters - then i'll count down until the DVD's.

RENT is officially my favorite movie ever! I have seen it twice so far, and I plan on seeing it at least 1 more time before it leaves theaters. Oh and Kit, youre not the only one who will be counting down til the DVD comes out... I can't wait to be able to watch it everyday!!!!!!

Still playing in one theater relatively near me. Such a shame. I wonder if a 4th time is necessary.

i LOVED this movie! i heard some bad reviews, so i waited for it to come out on dvd, but i saw it a couple weeks ago and i fell in love with it. i love the songs and i love that they used most of the original broadway cast instead of trying to cast a bunch of major actors.

Back