I pulled this off of our old forums back at TCO. I originally posted this back in August of '02, well prior to the launch of SWG. Here it is in it's original form.
The idea being that your actions good or bad will follow you around and be percieved by others just by mouse-over. If you gank lowbies, others will know it as it translates as a "ruthless" or "heartless" rating. If you spend time buffing or healing then you get a coresponding "humanitarian" rating. At tleast that is the general idea.
This would serve to remove that certain level of anonymity that people have and which often lets them think that they can behave however they like and with no consequence. "You're bad deeds are written plainly upon your face."

The following is a further elaboration on an earlier post that I submitted. This is a work-up on establishing character Reputation by a player's actions within the SWG game world.

Reputation as a concept:

The Reputation concept has evolved from its original PvP points award as I first envisioned it. Originaly, it was a way for a PvP player to keep track of his exploits. Notches on his gun so to speak. It was later suggested by some that this should be system wide. In effect, PvP, PvE and non-combatant.
Now I see this as a way for players to keep track of their accomplishments, and to some extent gives proof of bragging rights.
Initially, Reputation is something that can be open for viewing by others or locked out by the player. But, as one's Reputation (and factional standings) increase and become more defined, concealing a strong Reputation becomes more difficult. In deed, past some determined point it should be difficult to conceal short of applied disguises or alteration of physical characteristics.
In the case of a Professional Reputation, there shouldn't be a need to conceal anything. After all, if you are a master craftsman, you should want people to recognize that fact.

Developing Reputation:

Developing one's reputation should be relatively stright forward. "By your actions be ye known." If you PvP and kill great numbers of your factional enemies, then so your Reputation reflects this. You are known as a great warrior in service of the Empire/Rebels/Trade Federation. Just insert your group affiliation. That is, as long as one adheres to the established rules of engagement.
If you are PvE or non-combatant then your Reputation will also reflect your chosen endeavors and accomplishments. Be you a smuggler, or architect, or animal trainer. Once again, insert your own particular profession. PvE Reputation would still be subject to one's factional standing and constraints. If you build a good weapon or droid, your Reputation goes up. Maybe you catch breaks on raw material prices. More business comes your way and customers can examine your Reputation and know you provide quality goods and services. If you make bad business deals or cheat on quality or quantity, this should eventually develope into your Rep.

Reputation as a two edged sword:

Reputation within the game should have its benefits, but also its drawbacks. Once again refering to PvP, if you are now known as a "great warrior" in service to (insert your affiliation) then you should be able to reap some benefits from this. Be it lower prices on purchases or more credits for your services. The Devs. would have to decide this to maintain game balances. Or leave it to the mercy of market forces.
The downside of this is, of course, obvious. Factional standing post's have allready addressed how bad faction can affect you. This will fit nicely with the Reputation concept. At any rate, the greater your Reputation is with say, The Rebels and its allies. The the worse it shall be with the Empire, allies and factional associations. This can also be used as a vehicle for developing missions. If you are a thorn in the Empire's side, then after you reach a given level of Reputation, the Empire marks you and should start hurling Bounty Hunter's and stormtroopers your way. Within reason and one would probably need a really high level of reputaion to get the Empire to actively hunt you. But think of the prestige, the bragging rights you'd have on your home turf.
On to griefing. If one is a "griefer" and likes to indescriminantly gank people, that will be your Reputation. And after a pre-determined point you earn your outcast status and end up on the "open season" list. Thus one's server peers can freely dispense street justice. By your actions be you known, thus griefers will reap what they have sown. A nice symmetry I think. GM's don't have to come down on you, the worse you make it on others, the worse others can and will make it on you.
Note that none of this would have to change allready established rules of engagement and factional developement. If you operate within the rules of engagement then you get reputation points in accordance with your actions. Ignore rules of engagement and you get griefer points added to your Rep. Griefer points should accumulate at a faster rate than regular Reputation points as this would discourage griefing faster.

Note: Still a lot of work to be done, but it is developing. Still not sure what to suggest about the covert status issue.

The original on the SWG post has been wiped, but there is a copy on our SWG Chat board, 2nd page.

I have never seen a concecpt (well) implemented yet. While I see it all over, the attempts. I think what is written so far, is a great foundation for a great system. Something I would really like to see developed.

It sounds like a good idea, and in truth, it probably is.. but it seems whenever a feature like this goes into a game, it just ends up one big flaming ball of hell fire.

WatchMaker said:
It sounds like a good idea, and in truth, it probably is.. but it seems whenever a feature like this goes into a game, it just ends up one big flaming ball of hell fire.

Lol, that's funny. Especially since you are right. As the saying goes, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Back