Required Reading for School

#1redwigfan said:
Next year in 9th grade we are going to read Romeo and Julliet and I'm kinda looking foward to it.  Ya I'm wierd.
[post="1266928"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You're not weird. There are far worse things you could be studying!

We were reading Anna Frank two years ago during out RE lessons...it was really boring then but that may have been because of the teacher...
We read Animal Farm in our school last year i thought it was a REALLY good book...some of the stuff in it is really clever. If you red it in school with a teacher you get to appreciate that kinda stuff...you wouldn't really notice some of it just like that...

demented_dreamer said:
We were reading Anna Frank two years ago during out RE lessons...it was really boring then but that may have been because of the teacher...
[post="1270893"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You should try it again, when you're not reading it just because your teacher is making you. I first saw the movie when I was very little, and I have been to her house. It is a really sad and fascinating story.

Here's what I had to read in high school:

Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind, Romeo and Juliet, Pride and Prejudice, The Tempest, Oedipus Rex, The Thin Red Line, Journey into the Whirlwind, Jane Eyre, Hamlet, Frankenstein, Heart of Darkness, In the Time of the Butterflies, Othello, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Bless Me Ultima, and The Great Gatsby

Plus we did units on poetry and short stories, but I can't remember them all. I'm probably forgetting some books anyway. I went to an all-girls' school so we read a lot of girly books, but I liked most of them.

In middle school everyone I knew had to read The Giver and To Kill a Mockingbird.

Other books or plays we've had to read/are reading are Skellig, Macbeth, Merchant of Venice, Flowers for Algernon and they're all probably some that i cant remember...Flowers for Algernon was sad..

9th grade:
To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Julliet, The Miracle Worker, Lord of the Flies, The Pearl

10th grade:
Farenheit 451, A Night to Remember, The Catcher in the Rye, something else i can't remember

11 grade:
The Great Gatsby, some people had to read The Awakening, a couple other smaller works for American Lit; then for World Lit we read a bunch of books by foreign authors, including Things Fall Apart, and alot of short stories

oh, and Angela's Ashes--stongly recommended

12 grade--i took Imaginative writing, so there was little reading
and in media Lit now, it's more about, well, the media

This semester I read Macbeth and Brave New World for English. Next year, if I get the same teacher, it will be Hamlet and Frankenstein.

this year i've had to read pygmalion, romeo and juliet, lord of the flies and an assortment of war poetry. nice lol. luckily i had my enlgish lit exam yesterday and so never have to read em ever again hah. didnt like most of em cept romeo and juliet is ok! shakespeares a dude..

Back