Rescue Me

this is awesome! it really is like someting that could happen in the show. woo hoo! a married couple? that is so cool!! are you gonna post more soon???? puh-leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?????!!

Hey guys ~ Sorry I haven't posted in a while! I've been pretty busy what with school starting up again :( Plus, I have a bit of a writing block... I've written some stuff, but I'm nearly positive that it SUCKS!!! I have the second half of the chapter finished, but connecting it is a problem. I'll keep trying and hopefully can post something soon! Thanks for the comments ~ I love you guys!

~Laura :cat:

No problem just keep trying to get it finished.
I'm actually trying to over come a writers block myself.
It's taking some time especially with the whole school thing back in the picture. :confused:

Great Job though :redhair: :angelic:

freelancer638 said:
Hey guys ~ Sorry I haven't posted in a while! I've been pretty busy what with school starting up again :( Plus, I have a bit of a writing block... I've written some stuff, but I'm nearly positive that it SUCKS!!! I have the second half of the chapter finished, but connecting it is a problem. I'll keep trying and hopefully can post something soon! Thanks for the comments ~ I love you guys!

If you want, you can PM me and I can tell you whether it's good or if it sucks. Trust me, I don't hold back.

~Me :angel2:

Well, Alias Elle, thanks for the offer, but the disk I had my fic on has somehow been wiped out. Which means, I have lost all of the stuff I had written so far... which also means I feel like crying! :( But thankfully, I had written down at least half of it on paper (without the revisions, however) and I remember the general gist of what I had going on... Since I don't feel like doing homework today, I think I'll rewrite it - who knows, maybe it will be a whole lot better now! I'm really super-sad about this one part, though, cuz I had it near perfection. *cries* Ok, everything will be fine.... breathe.... Alrighty I'm better now. Ok well I thought I'd just let you know how screwed I'm feeling right now. I'll write today and I hope to post within a couple days. And with any luck, I won't break down crying again!

I'm SO sorry to hear that -_- It's happened to me before, though when I rewrote it it turned out three times better! I hope you'll have the same luck :smiley:

Hey everybody!! I just finished Chapter 9! I guess that my little disk problem just inspired me to get it done and post it! I know that I've mentioned this cliffhanger/great angsty scene that I have coming up, but I keep coming up with other stuff to put before it (plus, I have to rewrite it now *stupid disk*). So I'm not sure when it will be coming...probably ch. 11? We'll see... anyway, here's ch. 9. Sorry it took so long to write, and I hope you like it!!!

Chapter 9

Jack POV
I rise quickly and rush from the concluded meeting. I understand that this intel is quite essential; however, having Sydney and Agent Vaughn posing as a married couple is like fanning the flame. I know that I’m not the only one who notices that they steal yearning glances, schedule extra unnecessary meetings, and have more physical contact than a handler and asset should. My disagreement with this mission is purely for their own good – I don’t want them doing something they’ll end up regretting…

“Dad, wait up!” Sydney calls down the hall for me and jogs to catch up. Placing a hand on my shoulder, she spins me around.

“If you’re here to assure me about the mission, don’t bother. Both of us know that there is something going on between you and Agent Vaughn that shouldn’t be…that’s against protocol. I recognize that and realize that this mission is creating a preventable temptation by having Vaughn and you pose as husband and wife – that is why I disagree with this.”

Sydney slightly distorts her face, attempting to suppress her resentment. “Dad, that’s not why I ran after you, but now that you’ve made your feelings absolutely clear, I must inform you that Vaughn and I are professionals. We understand and abide by the rules, at least when it comes to our relationship.” She shakes her head. “I don’t appreciate your blatant doubts toward me, especially in the presence of my superiors. The real reason I followed you is because I want to know how Sloane is taking Marshall’s disappearance. What have you told him?”

I shake off her implication that I distrust her and try to quell my irritation, focusing on her question. “Sloane called me in about an hour ago. I informed him that I had teams reviewing the security tapes from the inside and outside of the airport. I mentioned that we were making significant progress, though in reality security section has not gotten anywhere in the investigation. I made those remarks to give Sloane hope that he will be found; otherwise, when Marshall returns to SD-6, it will be a complete surprise. I plan to continue fabricating evidence of our ‘progress’ until Marshall is ready to go back. Of course, Sloane wants to know who is behind this, as does the CIA. We’re looking into it right now, but I’m not sure how the search is proceeding at this point. And as for Marshall himself – he seems to be doing well.”

“I heard that Ariana Kane is after you – she thinks you killed Emily?” Sydney’s face softens a bit, but does not lose its intense concentration.

“Yes,” I reply shortly. “That woman is after me because of a simple hunch. She is not only putting my life in danger, she is also jeopardizing both you and Marshall. I have informed Devlin of the potential problem, but at this point, all Kane has is a feeling and speculation. I doubt she will give up after only a cursory examination, though. I may not have killed Emily, but I still have secrets – secrets that must not be uncovered.”

Sydney merely nods, staring down at the floor. She glances back up and looks at me passionately. “If anything happens, let me know… I have to go.”

I also nod as my daughter turns to leave. She sees Vaughn and smiles brightly, and I am reminded of the mistake-of-a-mission she is about to embark upon – in Cancun, no less. I shake my head, fighting the crimson flush of fury that is beginning to creep up my neck. How could Kendall be so stupid?
---
Vaughn POV
Wow, that meeting was…uncomfortable. I sit at my desk, absentmindedly trying to work while imagining the mission. Well, not as much the mission, per say, as my partner for the mission. Okay, so I was totally and completely fantasizing about me and Sydney on the beach in Cancun. What’s so wrong with that?

I sigh. Who am I trying to kid? There’s no way things could work out between us. It’s not just protocol, it’s also SD-6. The CIA wouldn’t kill us for being together, but SD-6 wouldn’t think twice about blowing both of us away, not for having a relationship, but because Syd’s a double agent. Propping my head up with one of my hands, I resume playing solitaire and seriously thinking about the mission.

“Hey.” I quickly dispose of the game and act as though I’m deep in thought. Casually glancing up, I am surprised to see Sydney smirking at me.

“Oh, uh, hey. What’s up? I thought you’d already left.”

She chuckles lightly, sitting on the edge of my desk. “You are soooo smooth, Agent Vaughn. I would’ve never noticed you were wasting time playing solitaire…” She shifts to look at me. “…except I’m a d*** good spy.” She chuckles again, smiling at me. “But nice try.”

I redden slightly and retort sarcastically. “Well, maybe I wasn’t trying to hide it. I can’t help it; I LOVE solitaire. You might even say I’m addicted. So maybe I was actually subconsciously crying out for help with my obsession, and it was a good thing your expert spy skills caught me in the act.”

She raises an eyebrow and looks at me with laughing eyes. Her lips curl into a smile and she somehow keeps herself from cracking up.

“Okay, okay I know that was the dumbest thing you’ve probably ever heard, but I had to come up with something. What can I say? I’m just not clever!” My face flushes an even deeper shade of scarlet. “So anyway, what’s up?”

Syd composes herself. “I just wanted to make sure we know where and when to meet. 7:30 at gate G. Be there, or be square.” She grins mischievously and gets up, walking away.

“Now THAT was original. Way to go, O Queen of wit.”

Sydney looks back briefly, still smiling, and turns the corner out of sight. And to think, just a couple days ago, this little meeting would have been about as awkward as you can get. Just goes to show you how things can change so quickly…
---
Will POV
“Hey, anybody home?” I call out, tossing my keys on the counter. Francie has to work late tonight, so she asked me to check on Syd. Apparently, she’s been acting strange lately.

“Yeah, back here.” She calls out sweetly. She has no idea, does she? She has no idea what she said to me last night… I make my way back to her room to find her packing, yet again. I lean casually against the doorframe.

“Where you going this time?” She looks up at me briefly with a dazzling smile.

“Cancun.” She pauses and straightens up, eager to see my reaction.

“Cancun?! What’s in Cancun?! Can I go?!”

She laughs. “Well, Vaughn and I have to retrieve a disk with some contact names on it. Stuff about Rambaldi.”

My good mood dissipates rapidly with the mention of her handler. I try to cover it up, but Syd’s a spy – she can spot a change in my frame of mind a mile away. “Rambaldi, huh?”

“Yup. You remember that flower I got in India? Well, we want to learn more about it, and all the people on this contact list are Rambaldi freaks, so we hope to find someone who can tell us more.” She resumes packing, expertly skirting my discomfort with knowing Vaughn is going, too. “Oh, hey, I have something for you. The results came back on your psych test. Here’s your S.O.P.” She hand me a sealed envelope. “Just follow that, and we’ll find out if you’re the CIA’s newest member.”

I take the envelope and turn it over a few times. “So, if you and Vaughn are going to be in Cancun, who am I meeting with?” I start to open it.

“Actually, I’m not sure… I guess you’ll get a surprise!”

I rip the flap and remove the letter, quickly scanning it. “Looks like the meeting’s tomorrow… Man, I hope I passed. Or rather, I hope I’m not a sociopath.” I chuckle, and Syd looks at me with her patented Bristow smile, dimples and all. She giggles quietly and shakes her head laughingly, continuing her packing.

“Hey, Syd?” I have something I need to ask her, but I’m afraid to know the answer. Actually, I’m pretty sure I already know, but I need to be positive.

“Yeah?” She recognizes my change in tone and immediately stops, standing up to face me.

“Um, do you remember what you said to me last night? When we got home and I helped you out of the car?” I shove my hands deep into my pockets nervously.

“I’m not sure… Wasn’t I talking about Vaughn?”

“Yeah, you were. About him and Alice. But do you remember what you said after that?”

She pauses to think. “Um… no… I don’t know, sorry.” She gives me a small smile. “What did I say?”

“Oh, nothing. It’s not important.” I laugh, trying unsuccessfully to make my disappointment slide off me. “You were pretty hammered. I’m just glad I was there to get you home all in one piece.”

“Yeah, I never thanked you for driving me home.” She moves forward, surrounding me in a hug. “Thanks, Will. You’re the best friend a girl could have.” Drawing her head back, she smiles broadly, and I know the truth. She doesn’t love me. Not that way.
---
Sydney POV
So, here I am. Sitting next to Vaughn. Acting as his adoring wife, the mother of his child. Telling lies to the inquisitive woman across the aisle who will not stop asking questions about me, us, our ‘son.’ I can’t take it anymore! I shift in my seat, peeking subtly at Vaughn, who is absorbed in the in-flight movie. The woman will not shut up! I politely smile and interrupt her. “Sorry, but I really would like to get some sleep. My husband and I have a big day tomorrow.”

“Oh, yes, of course. I’m sure you do. Pardon me.”

She sits back in her chair and begins to amuse herself by incessantly chattering to the man beside her, whom I assume is her husband.

Sighing, I lean against Vaughn’s shoulder and grab part of his blanket to cover myself. He tears himself away from the movie and wraps me up.

“There. Better?”

I smile gratefully and offer a despondent “Yeah.” Vaughn instantly knows there’s something wrong.

“Hey, what’s wrong, honey? Do you feel ok?” He brushes his hand against my forehead. Noticing that infernal woman is watching us, I play my part.

“I’m ok. It’s just…I miss him. Do you think Jonathan is alright?”

Vaughn murmurs a reply and I snuggle against him. I look out the window and see the stars, painfully reminding me of the real reason I’m so low.

*FLASHBACK*

As I walk through the crowded airport, seeing families with children, couples hand-in-hand, loving reunions, and tearful goodbyes, that familiar ache washes over me. Even after a year and a half, I still can’t let him go: my Danny. I blink back tears and push on to gate G. I arrive to find Vaughn isn’t here yet, so I sit and put on headphones, listening to the radio.

Who can say for certain
Maybe you’re still here
I feel you all around me
Your memories so clear

Deep in the stillness
I can hear you speak
You’re still an inspiration
Can it be
That you are mine
Forever loved
And you are watching over me from up above

Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for awhile to know you’re there
A breath away’s not far
To where you are

I mournfully look out the window, absurdly searching, searching for him; I think I still feel his presence, see his smile. A tear escapes and I brush it away quickly. Looking up at the stars, I wonder if Danny’s up there, an angel watching over me. The song is right: he’s still an inspiration, though I’m sad to admit he’s not as much so now than he was a year and a half ago. He’s still with me, I still love and cherish him, but things are different. Now I dream of other things, of other people.

Are you gently sleeping
Here inside my dream
And isn’t faith believing
All power can’t be seen

As my heart holds you
Just one beat away
I cherish all you gave me everyday

The song finishes, and more tears find their way down my cheeks. I get up to go to the bathroom and bump into someone.

“Sorry, excuse me.” I look down, trying to conceal my red eyes and runny nose. Big broad hands close on my shoulders and I become alert and tense. My head snaps up and I find Vaughn staring at me with concern.

He whispers, “Syd, are you ok?” and sits me back down, taking a seat beside me. I hug him fiercely and whisper back through my sniffles.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine…Nevermind…” He looks at me skeptically as our seats are called. Grabbing my bags, he ushers me to the plane, throwing anxious looks my way every few seconds. I reassure him that I’m ok, and we take our seats.

*END FLASHBACK*

A fresh tear trickles from my eye and plops onto Vaughn’s hand. Feeling it, he looks at me and, saying nothing, wraps his arm around me, pulling me closer. I let his warmth and security envelop me and I close my eyes, drifting into a slumber full of bittersweet dreams.

To Where You Are, by Josh Groban

There it is! If you haven't heard that song, I really recommend you find it and listen to it - he's an amazing singer, and hot, to boot!! ;) I hope you liked the chappy. Please give feedback! I live off it! :D

Sorry again that it took so long to get out!!

P.S. Thanks for all the comments, patience, and understanding! I love you guys ~ You ROCK!!

Whoa!!!! Toatlly awesome. Usually I'm not a big fan of POV baised fics but yours totally rocks!!!!!!!!!! :woot: :woot: Keep up the good work and I can't wait for the next chapter. (y) (y)

Krazed :ninja:

Thanks for the replies, guys!! Alias Elle, isn't that song great? God, I love Josh Groban - he's only 20something and he's got the most amazing voice I've ever heard!!

I'm so glad you all like the chapter. That darn disk problem had me really pissed. I'm just glad I could remember some of it! Actually, this chapter is quite a bit different than what I had originally, but I kinda like it better this way! Keep up the comments, and if you think of any suggestions, please post 'em!!! :D

Oh, and Krazed, your av and that little ninja smilie are awesome!! :P

Hehe you guys make me smile :D I can't believe how good it feels to know that people like my writing!! Yippeee!!! :D :D

Anyway, I haven't been able to write much for the past couple days *stupid homework* Maybe I'll get some done tomorrow during school....

I'm kind of mad at myself. Do you guys remember my mentioning that scene I really liked and how I couldn't come up with a bridge to link it to what I've got? Well, I keep coming up with more and more stuff that comes in between - I feel like it's taking forever to get to that part!! I just hope I'm not getting your hopes up just to have them come crashing down with my writing not doing the scene justice. :confused: Ahhh you don't have any idea how much trouble I'm having with this Cancun stuff!!! I think I want it to be semi-fluffy, but I discovered that I SUCK at writing fluff!! Grrr.. :angry: Okay, I think I'm done venting now.. hehe

So, yeah, I thought I'd just let you know what's going on. I was just searching through my fic for something, and I reread some of the feedback - you make me feel awesome!! :blush: Well, I'll stop talking now because I'm acting dumb... Bye Bye!!

That's alright. At least you've got your story planned out. I just wrote as stuff came into my mind. We forgive you.

More please!

~Me :angel2:

Back