Fantasy The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

:jawdrop: THANK YOU NAD!! *runs over to TORn* :lol:

eeeeeeeeeeeee whatcha wanna bet thats teh paths of the dead?! :woot:

and LMAO i love the legolas shooting/arrow in the bar :rotflmao:

lol I thought it was funny too. Arwen is NOT in the extended at Helm's Deep, she was, but they cut that out, it will be included in the extras but not in the film according to the many sources I have read, don't worry.

I'd bet money that is the POD Siri, I can't wait! :woot:

ROTK Spoilers!!!

Ok it isn't that I don't want to post this thing here so that you will be sure to read it, it is just the fact that this information is HUGE!!! Literally and metaphoically, there are some spoilers, it is really long, and PJ writes himself, so <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>PLEASE go and read this it will be worth your time and it is really good!</span>

image0.jpg

Pelannor Fields

image1.jpg

The Black Gate Opens (i think)

image2.jpg

Rohirrim race across the plains to Minas Tirith

image3.jpg

Armed Mumakil

image4.jpg

Gondorian Soldier prepare to defend the White City.

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

eeeeeeeeeeeeek nad thanks for the link! :woot: :thud:

hmm more pics

there are too many :lol:

but these are relaly good i promise :woot: too bad i cant read it :o_O: :lol:

9788_orig.jpg

9789_orig.jpg

9790_orig.jpg

9791_orig.jpg

9792_orig.jpg

9793_orig.jpg

97914_orig.jpg

9795_orig.jpg

9796_orig.jpg

9797_orig.jpg

9798_orig.jpg

9799_orig.jpg

9800_orig.jpg

9801_orig.jpg

9802_orig.jpg

9803_orig.jpg

9804_orig.jpg

9805_orig.jpg

9806_orig.jpg

9807_orig.jpg

annnnnnnd look how nice they were they gave us a translation! :lol:

THE FINAL BATTLE

The Return Of The King

Exclusively for CINEMA, LOTR director Peter Jackson and his stars write about the shooting of the third and final part and explain, why saying goodbye was so hard for them…

It is the third Christmas in a row that millions of people all over the world are looking forward to with especially shining eyes. On 17 December, “The Return Of The King”, the long-expected finale of the triology will at last be released. “I assure you that this film is the best”, promises Gandalf-actor Ian McKellen. Director Peter Jackson also seems to be lacking some of his Kiwi reservation: “It is the part of the saga I am most proud of.” The confidence that the stars and makers are using to increase the curiosity of the fans, does not come from nothing. Not only has the series already grossed several hundreds of million dollars, but also the producers succeeded to convince the skeptical fans of Tolkien all over the world.

Accordingly, there’s hardly any doubt that part three will crown the story of success (see also our review in the next issue, to be released 18 December 2003). In order to provide you an all-embracing impression, we have traveled around the globe in the past weeks in order to collect exclusive photos in London, Los Angeles, New York and New Zealand capital of Wellington, and to talk with Peter Jackson and his actors about the brilliant finale of the saga.

Cinema spoke with Sean Astin (Sam), Orlando Bloom (Legolas), Billy Boyd (Pippin), Peter Jackson (director), Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Dominic Monaghan (Merry), Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn) and Elijah Wood (Frodo).

Wood: Next year at Christmas, I will probably be at home, packing my suitcases and wonder why no one picks me up and drives me to a LOTR premiere. Let’s not fool ourselves: This end in instalments is bitter, even though most friendships will be more than the usual set-friendships and will continue long after.

Mortensen: I usually don’t tend to be sentimental, but when we finished the last pick ups in the summer, I was overwhelmed by the feeling of goodbye. Of course, there’s still the premieres in Wellington and Berlin to come, but we saw most members of the crew for the last time. There are actors who don’t care about such experiences. I do. In the end, we all become senile very early, and until then I will feed on the memories and will carry the smell of the New Zealand woods with me. I will never ride into battle as Aragorn, but what I felt in these moments, will give me power and strength for a very long time to come. About that, I am certain.

Boyd: Our goodbye was a little relieved by great presents. Everyone was given an affectionately composed video full of scenes and outtakes of his own roll. Also, we were allowed to chose a souvenir and take it with us.

Wood: I received the ring. The original ring. But I do not exhibit the ring – it’s covered in cloth and packed away in a little box which again was packed away in two larger boxes. And there, it’s well kept.
Bloom: I received Legolas’ bow and a set of sharp arrows. But when I wanted to fly to England, the souvenirs were collected by the New Zealand customs and I was told that they would be dispatched separately. Well, I am waiting still, and I guess that somewhere in this world a fan now owns original props.

McKellen: I requested the doorknobs of Saruman’s tower of Orthanc, beautifully made of fibre glass in the form of lizards. You could hardly recognize them in the film, but it was characteristic for the production: Even the tiniest detail was treated with the same accurateness as the most important total shots. But what astounded me even more: When I showed the doorknobs to a couple of fans, they immediately knew where they belonged. Hardly to believe, isn’t it? You could almost believe they’ve watched the film under the magnifying glass.

Mortensen: I was allowed to take my original, terribly worn steel sword. I’ve always used it despite the enormous weight, whenever the danger of the scenes allowed it.

Astin: I am the proud owner of Sam’s rucksack and, most of all, a pair of Hobbit-feet.

McKellen: I consider myself the luckiest of all LOTR actors because I got to play two roles, and this development comes to a fulminant conclusion in part three. I started out as Gandalf the Grey who has little energy and has to face his greatest fears first – and now I play a mighty role as a leader and fighter who gets mud in his face on the battlefield.

Bloom: ROTK is Aragorn’s story who learns to take a terribly large responsibility. Legolas? Hey, he’s firing off a pile of arrows and does the usual hero sh**. The TT scenes where I surf on a shield or mount a horse in full gallop, were so well received by the audience that Peter thought of a special sequence for Legolas which will top anything else. Promised!

Jackson: I am still in the editing, but I guess that we will be exceeding the three-hour-bounds. Before my inner eye, ROTK had always been the most exciting and moving part of the triology. I’ve never been prouder than on this part! Last but not least because I worked up my most terrible nightmares in the scenes with Shelob. She is designed after a so called tunnel web spider that had been tantalizing me in my childhood in New Zealand. Giant spiders in films are often very slow, because they are filmed in slow motion to magnify their dimensions. Not with us: Shelob is a damn fast beast and will not only make Frodo panic.

Mortensen: After the first films have been received very positively, and the giant battles this time outshine even Helm’s Deep, everyone is expecting a hit at the box offices, and I am sure ROTK will be. Still, I would not want to measure the worth of our work in Box-Office-categories, only. If I look at the snapshots of my colleagues that have been made four years ago, and compare them to pictures of today, I see a change in their eyes. These are looks of people who were put to an unbelievable test and passed it.

Wood: I have seen the final hour of the film – never in my life have I cried that hard while watching a movie. Even experts of the book will be amazed by the intensity and darkness of the story. The highest compliment I ever received as an actor was the fact that even peter had tears in his eyes when we were shooting the crucial scenes between Frodo and Sam on Mount Doom.

Jackson: The secret of our success? We’ve made the story authentic even though it operates with a lot of clichés. Good Hobbits, bad Orcs – that could easily land near Monty Python. But by taking the characters seriously, we made Tolkien’s world absolutely believable on screen, as if we were telling a true story – like the one of Alexander the Great or Napoleon.

Wood: Some people are mocking, when I tell them how sworn a community the team had been. But the other day, at a Radiohead concert, I met the actor Stuart Townsend who had been replaced by Viggo. It had been a hard decision for him, but that’s the business. However, Stuart said that he’s never felt bitter because he’s missed three world hits. But he did miss the family feeling he had already developed after months of training together. I felt that he will never experience anything like this again.

Astin: Maybe it sounds stupid: I realized that LOTR had been made for eternity when I played against Bill Clinton at a celebrity golf tournament and he actually knew who I was.

Mortensen: Call it luck, or call it fate. I for my part will always be sure that I never did anything to get the role of Aragorn. It was a present, and it has changed my life forever. For that, I am sincerely thankful.

Jackson: Viggo is known to chose his projects very carefully and basically arrived on spec. While I was already shooting, we had a very delicate talk where he asked me all kinds of questions about Aragorn’s motives that I couldn’t answer even nearly as detailed as he expected. I tried in vain to lie, until suddenly that embarrassing silence arose. I was sure at that moment that I had spoiled the talk and started to mentally go through a list of names who I could cast as Aragorn. But Viggo just looked at me and said, “O.K. so we see each other on Tuesday at work.” Gosh, I was relieved!

McKellen: It’s crazy how life can lead you onto the right tracks. Today, more
people on the street address me as Gandalf thank with my real name. Back then I had already decided to turn down the role, because the prospect of such a long production scared me and at first could not be coordinated with “X-Men”. But believe it or not: I felt that I would regret it if I turned down the role.

Monaghan: How we would have dealt with it if one of the core would have turned out to be an ***hole? I don’t think that this would have been possible. The first one and a half years during the main shooting we basicly were stuck together so closely that no one could have tried to get off the hook without committing suicide or being fired. Of course, there were cliques, island trantrums and smaller conflicts – privately, we are no Hobbits. But the togetherness was never endangered, never. I guess Peter has a diploma for psychology and casted us socially acceptable.

Jackson: I don’t think much of a dictatorial style, but I prefer to be surrounded by people who on their particular field have better ideas than me.

McKellen: I cannot remember one single moment of the past years when Peter had screamed. You have to imagine the set much more like a magnified version of his garden, and there he’s off with impish joy, making the most expensive home video of all time, even though we actors needed getting used to him generally demanding an extreme variety of angles.

Jackson: Out of all characters of the saga, I identify mostly with Bilby Baggins.

Wood: Peter used to be bare-footed on set, and I must confess that it calmed me a lot that all this stress and chaos was supervised by a real, live Hobbit. And I think that eccentrics are absolutely trustworthy.

Bloom: During the shooting in New Zealand we were so isolated that there was no chance for any airs and graces. The media may pick someone from the ensemble, that’s normal. But fame is conceptional and did not make it onto the set. I personally have to be a bit more careful in public only since “Pirates of the Caribbean” – in LOTR, of course, I was perfectly disguised with the blond wig and the pointy ears.

Astin (laughing): Unbelievable that someone as ugly as Orlando makes it onto magazine covers! He must have a clever agent!

Nad said:
The Saruman Situation
Xoanon @ 4:13 pm EST

You may have noticed that my esteemed colleague Maegwen and others have been posting on the front page more often that before. They all do wonderful work and I’d be lost in space without them. The reason I’ve been away from my computer is due to a few pressing situations that need to get taken care of before Christmas. Car shopping with my father is never an easy task. He wants to look at every dealership in Montreal before he signs on the dotted line, but I love him for his tenacity. Seb, Khoba and I are working on the Montreal Trilogy Screening with Alliance Atlantis and New Line, lets just say a bucket of worms has been opened and we’ve been hard pressed to seal it shut again. And the last issue is something near and dear to us all….Saruman getting axed from ROTK.

This last issue is what has really kept me away from my inbox lately…over 1000 emails are pouring in to me daily these past few weeks. November and December have always been busy months on TORN but this is week’s news has really got the net buzzing. So why am I stressed over it? Well mainly because all the emails have the same tone to them, the same general sense of anger and tension that can be really draining to read about until the late hours of the night. So I’d prefer to stay away for a while and let it die down.

The problem is it’s not going away, and there really is nothing we can do about it, really.

For me, this whole Saruman situation started as a rumor fed to me via instant messenger. ‘Hey, I heard 2 major characters are going to be cut from ROTK’, said the anonymous stranger whom I never met. I asked where he’d heard this before, he tells me Moriarty and the AICN folks are talking about it in their chatroom. He claims they are waiting for the actors to be told before they break the story. I thought ‘dubious news, at best’, and decided not to pursue it. Imagine the flack I’d get if I posted about this, and it turned out to be false? Well unfortunately it didn’t…and now we all know that the seven-minute scene with Saruman and Grima Wormtongue has been removed from ROTK.

Let’s put aside the rumors that Christopher Lee didn’t know until he read about it on AICN. Lets put aside the rumors that Peter Jackson informed Christopher Lee via email. Lets just look at the facts. The scene was cut because it destroyed the flow of the film. It was not added to the extended edition of The Two Towers because at the time of creating the EE for TTT they thought the scene would remain. So it turns out that we shall only see that scene in the ROTK:EE release, due out in another year from now.

This is what has caused the uproar, fans want to see the entire sequence in the theatres. Fans want to see the story arc complete, and the fall of Saruman (literally and figuratively).

An entire brigade of people flocked to an online petition site to sign up and voice their opinions, which is good to know. The last thing we want to see is a fan malaise effect, much like the stunned Matrix or Star Wars folks. We want LOTR fans involved…taking action, getting things done. The problem is that filmmaking is not a democracy. No matter how long a list, loud a voice, or detailed a complaint; it will not change the fact that this seven-minute scene will be cut. There is just nothing we can do about it.

Do we, as TORN, like the idea? Hell NO, I don’t see any one of the PTB’s or forum admins or writers who like it. Do we want the scene added to the film? CERTAINLY, ever since the entire spikey wheel photo was first released to the public back in 1999 I’ve been waiting for Saruman’s death scene…that is 4 years of patience!

But we as TORN also know when to let artistic vision take precedence over fan-based hype. As a large group we cannot rally around a cause that we think is none of our business to dictate, and is also rather moot. We know we’ll get the chance to see it on the DVD. We are also pretty sure that the Extended Version will be placed in theatres sometime in 2004 or 2005.

It has been a long-standing policy that we don’t post links to petitions on TORN. We like to have fun posting polls, but never a petition. The legality of an online petition is suspect at best. It is really something we don’t want to get into. We love fan-community building, not persuasion-by-numbers.

Petitions are made to raise awareness of a cause that a majority of people do not know about. The cause is usually something that affects a minority of people to some degree or another.

This is not the case here.

Here we have a large group of people trying to voice their numbers (numbers that Peter Jackson and his team know full well are HUGE) to have something changed to suit their own needs. We don’t think this shines a respectable light on LOTR fans. Quite frankly it makes us all look like a whiny bunch of babies.

Peter Jackson, an un-questionable LOTR fan, knows this isn’t fair. He’s not happy with the choice he has to make. But it must be done. We as fans of the films can voice our outcry with either posts on message boards or healthy discussions in chatrooms or with friends. The signing of a petition will not help the situation, and giving us a hard time for not linking to it won’t either.

There are a great number of horrible things happening in this world that we can pour our energy into, the editing of a motion picture is not one of them.
Here ya go Viv!

11-07-03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some MAJOR RoTK News
Demosthenes @ 4:25 pm EST
Harry Knowles from AICN got word about some major developments in the editing of RoTK from Peter Jackson himself. AICN's server seems to be having trouble coping with the load right now, so I've taken the liberty of cutting down Harry's verboseness and reproducing Jackson's statement below:
Harry writes:

"Hey folks, Harry here... Sometimes working on an epic ain't easy. Specially when you have so much passion involved, not only by the filmmakers, but the fans themselves.

About two weeks ago I heard that the Saruman/Grima work had been edited out of RETURN OF THE KING. My immediate reaction was... "OUCH!" I mean, Christopher Lee has owned in each of the 2 Lord of the Rings movies we've seen thus far, but also... His presence has been iconic and classy in a way that defies description.

I figured that this news would best be left to Peter to address in interviews once the film began screening, as I was sure it was a decision he did not relish making.

Here's what Peter wrote me....

[The] Saruman thing you describe is a muddle of half-truths.

We have decided to save the Saruman sequence for the DVD. It's a great little scene. 7 mins long. Chris is wonderful, as usual. Brad is in about 6 shots. It was a film maker decision - nothing to do with the studio.

The problem is that the sequence was originally shot for The Two Towers, as it is in the book. Since The Two Towers couldn't sustain a 7 min "wrap" after Helm's Deep, we thought it would be a good idea to save it for the beginning of the Return of the King. The trouble is, when we viewed various ROTK cuts over the last few weeks, it feels like the first scenes are wrapping last year's movie, instead of starting the new one. We felt it got ROTK off to an uncertain beginning, since Saruman plays no role in the events of ROTK (we don't have the Scouring later, as the book does), yet we dwell in Isengard for quite a long time before our new story kicks off.

We reluctantly made the decision to save this sequence for the DVD. The choice was made on the basis that most people will assume that Saruman was vanquished by the Helm's Deep events, and Ent attack. We can now crack straight into setting up the narrative tension of ROTK, which features Sauron as the villian.

It was a very similar situation to last year when we decided to take a nice Boromir/Denethor flashback out of The Two Towers, and put it in the DVD. It was causing us pacing problems in the theatrical version, but with the Extended Cut just coming out now, fans can see this great little scene. Thank God for DVD, since it does mean that a version of the movie, which has different pacing requirements, can be released later. The Saruman sequence will definately be a highlight of the Extended ROTK DVD.

We have a lot of great DVD material this time around. As we crafted the movie, we reduced it from an over 4 hour running time, down to 3.12 (without credits - about 8 mins long). This was done by us. There were no studio cutting notes. We now have a movie with a pace that fells ok for it's theatrical release. One more week to go. We are nearly there. Will we still be standing? It's going to be a close run thing.

Cheers,

Peter J

A week to go? The news about New Line making the cuts themselves had instantly struck me wrong, because I knew that New Line wasn't supposed to take possession of the film till November 1st.

However, I had found out that 11 days before that time, Peter had added, I believe it was 12 visual effects shots for the Minas Tirith battles, and I had heard it was going to put them past their deadline a bit... Well, now it'll be 2 weeks past that date, which means that Next Friday... New Line will finally take over possession of the print, then about a 2 months of work will be squeezed into a month - as prints are created for world consumption.

Wonder how wet these things will be by the time they hit theaters?
Anyway, that's the truth about Saruman and his scenes in RETURN OF THE KING, straight from Derek's mouth! A hard decision, one of many in the making of an epic."

Demosthenes here. This is very interesting, for sure. Sounds like we all get to play a giant game of "let's pretend" with that particular scene until the DVD is released sometime next year. Personally, I'm not particularly fussed - I enjoyed EE release of Fellowship far more, and I expect I will feel the same for Towers.

Most of the outcomes of the confrontation at Isengard are plot trivialities with no great plot implications - except the Palantir. We've seen images of Aragorn holding it, and the implication is that Pippin does use it at Meduseld. I'll be keen to see how effectively Walsh, Boyens and Jackson rework that.

I cannot possibly wait any longer i cant wait to see Aragorn dressed all kingly.......i guess i have to concede to Aragorn and Arwen...i was kinda rooting for Aragorn and Eowyn but that "circle picture" they looked pretty cute in it.

DylanArcher said:
I cannot possibly wait any longer i cant wait to see Aragorn dressed all kingly.......i guess i have to concede to Aragorn and Arwen...i was kinda rooting for Aragorn and Eowyn but that "circle picture" they looked pretty cute in it.
oh but you'll luv who Eowyn hooks up with! ( i read the books) It ends ok, I would have felt bad if she was left alone but she isn't :rolleyes:

Oh yeah i know who she ends up with! I think hes a pretty swell guy kinda sad...but hes no Aragorn. I havent read any of the books i think its about time i should.

:jawdrop: :thud: :stretcher: :doctor:

EEEKS!!! That was a close one, SIRI!!!! Warn me before you post something like that! lol Thank you though.

It is rumored that May 25th will be the release date for the theatrical edition of ROTK!