Politics Revenge attacks in Sydney race war

ams4alias

Cadet
GANGS of youths embarked on a series of "hit and run" revenge attacks across Sydney's beachside suburbs last night after a day of racial violence that saw mobs rampage through Cronulla, in the city's south, bashing anyone of Middle Eastern appearance.

Scores of cars in the eastern suburb of Maroubra had their windscreens smashed and tyres slashed in what police fear is the first sign of retaliation by members of Sydney's Muslim community.

Local MP Michael Daley said the suburb was hit by youths wielding baseball bats and sticks after "a cavalcade of hotted-up vehicles" arrived at 8.30pm.

This is getting completely out of hand and totally UN-AUSTRALIAN!!!

It all started last weekend, when a lifesaver was allegedly bashed by two men of Middle Eastern origin.
A mass email and SMS campaign was set up which called for "Aussies" to retake the beach by joining "Leb and wog bashing day". Throughout the day the crowd surged towards anyone of Middle Eastern or wog appearance.

What are your thoughts on this I find it disgusting but on the other hand there's a certain group of wogs and the Lebs who harass and cause trouble, and need to be delt with but it doesn't mean Aussie's can go out a bash inocent people just because of their race!

I find it quite appalling, especially since Austrailia is usually so welcoming to foreigners. Sadly we saw a similar situation not too long ago in France.

Race relations seem to be very strained right now. I really hope things can come to a peaceful end, and soon.

hmmm, there seems to be a few issues with this. just today in The Courier Mail (a brisbane newspaper) there was an article about multiculturalism, and how no-one really knows what it means and how to approach it. i think senior political and community leaders need to admit that it is a race problem, as currently they are denying this. many people, while they wont publicly admit it, feel that australia should remain a purely white county - a recent poll on channel nine illustrated this. maybe the attacks on the lifeguards at cronulla by migrants was the just the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

my last comment is that, many people are advocating multiculturalism yet they call certain groups "lebs" or "Wogs". that in itself is hypocritical.

You are right the same thing happened in France last month and when I was looking at the TV I was like : Hey this can't be happening in France! We are a multicultural country, we are the country of the human rights and all but from what I'm reading it seems that it's not only in France.
I don't understand why people are suddenly reacted so violently, I don't understand why the world is turning into two camps : The ones who have always lived in the country and the ones who arrived years ago.
I'm going to talk about France because I know what's happening, we have talked about it at school and there are always things on TV about what happened. Every time the same thing is said, emigrants want to be considered as citizens and not emigrants, especially if they were born in the country. They don't accept the discrimination and they don't understand why when they are looking for a job the guy always offers the job to the French guy over the one who is from Africa. The situation is even worse because all these people are the sons and the daughters of workers who came to France because the French government offered them jobs, furthermore they are from former French colonies.
I think it's something that's happening in most of the countries that called themselves multicultural (US, UK, France...) , I think the governments don't really know the meaning of this word nor know what it's like to live in a poor suburb. I'd love to see a PM or a President live like all these people are living, because it would be the only way for them to understand how hard it's for them

*mind tracks back to the whole term we spent studying how we embrace ethnic diversity in Australia*

Uh-huh. Totally makes sense.

:rolleyes:

Back