Sci-Fi Revolution (NBC)

You might want to think about that ;)

:smiley: I apologise if my remarks have caused you to feel insulted. That was not my intention. Others besides myself have commented that Revolution's characterisations -- and therefore logically the plot -- appeared rather thin and implausible. Besides that the first two episodes did little to convince me that the writers had given much thought to the scenario they had dumped their characters into. For example, we see them growing corn, so why the heck aren't they making diesel fuel and running around in diesel powered vehicles which require no electricity to run?

As an SF fan and a TV viewer I was insulted by a lamely thrown together scenario which clearly depends upon the mysterious, alien looking, amulets; and given the history of USian TV producers milking a franchise well beyond its fertile period I for one will not be going out of my way to discover an "ending" which could've been delivered in a three part miniseries. I've read the spoilers for eps 3-11 and see nothing but more clouding of the issues rather than reveals. The remaining eps 12-20 form the "first" season and no doubt JJ is hoping NBC will pick up a 2nd series of 20+ eps before the first season comes to whatever end has been written/filmed. Would it be too cynical of me to believe that ep 20 has two endings, one in case a 2nd series is picked up, the other a conclusion if it isn't?

:smiley: I apologise if my remarks have caused you to feel insulted. That was not my intention. Others besides myself have commented that Revolution's characterisations -- and therefore logically the plot -- appeared rather thin and implausible. Besides that the first two episodes did little to convince me that the writers had given much thought to the scenario they had dumped their characters into. For example, we see them growing corn, so why the heck aren't they making diesel fuel and running around in diesel powered vehicles which require no electricity to run?

Do you know how to make diesel fuel? I don't. It's Sci Fi.. it's not always about plausability, but about entertainment.

I didn't, but I did know that bio-fuel is a growing technology and that bio-diesel can be made in a bath tub with a few household bits and bobs. Its implausible that no-one who survived wouldn't know. Vegetable oil fuel - Wikipedia

I am suspecting you picking an argument where none is being offered. I did not enjoy Revolution and I have apologised for any unintended insult my remarks might have led you to perceive.

You can't make me like the show because my dislike of it offends you, any more than I can (or want) to make you hate it because I think it's a pile of cynically commercial felgercarb which has as much to do with SF as the Jerry Springer Show has to do with the sociological improvement of the lives of the common man.

As for entertainment ... we all find our entertainment according to our nature. I'm certainly neither unhappy, nor annoyed, that you enjoy the show. I am perplexed as to why you are annoyed that I do not.

I'm not picking a fight and I'm not trying to make you like the show. I really couldn't care less if you like it or not. I'm just pointing out that your blanket statements don't actually work :D

I'm not annoyed either. The point I'm making is actually your last statement:-

we all find our entertainment according to our nature. I'm certainly neither unhappy, nor annoyed, that you enjoy the show.
Your comments prior to this were written in such a manner that you were making judgement about people who didn't like what you do or liked what you do not.

Yeah, well I believed that I had already apologised for any slight inferred by my comments. I know quite a few very intelligent people -- whom I count as friends -- who enjoy a soppy uncomplicated soap. I enjoy one or two myself. But if you shun such shows because you dislike the contrived labyrinthine mess of of human relationships such shows thrive on, it is -- to my mind -- odd that you choose to take offence when I draw a parallel between such a show and shows like Lost and Revolution. For my taste an "entertainment" which is not a soap, be it SF or any other genre, needs a beginning, a middle and an end; anything which lasts beyond four or five hours screen time -- or thousand or two pages of novel -- is moving out of "simple storyville" and into the "soap republic".

This opinion is mine and is not intended as a criticism of anyone, although I reserve the right to condemn the TV moguls who make pap designed only to appeal to a mass audience. ;)

I didn't take offence, I keep saying that.. I said it was insulting.. not that you particularly insulted me.

I don't watch soaps because they're - to me - lazy viewing with little substance and godawful acting lol - personal opinion. Condemn whatever you like... I watch whatever catches my interest at a given moment - be it "pap" or deeper shows of substance :D

@Mirelly Any examples of long running sci-fi series that you've enjoyed that didn't contain a bit of a soap opera story telling? For your criteria of 'four or five hours of screen' time you are essentially discounting anything outside of a mini-series or movie. And the pendants are definitely not alien based. ;)

@Azhria Lilu On the matter of genre soap opera like material, what are your thoughts on the original Dark Shadows series or the more recent Being Human (either the UK or US remake) series?

@Warlock I'm right there with you on 24... it just bored me every time I tried watching it. It always got great reviews but I couldn't sit through a whole episode of it without going a bit stir crazy.

@ Kevin: I've been trying to differentiate between a series and a serial. Serials come in tw0 flavours as far as the viewing public is concerned where the least value flavour is the dreaded soap opera ... at least when viewed from the opinion of the wider audience. Soaps are trashy and low-brow and -- by definition -- they neither promise nor are they expected to deliver a conclusion. By contrast a series is a set of self-contained entertainments, each complete within itself.

The problem I have is that there's been a modern trend to serialise a format by introducing what is now known as story arcs within a series. More specifically I object to shows where the story arc is such a large factor in the overall scripting that it is between difficult and impossible fully to appreciate an individual episode viewed out of context. Lost was an absolute exemplar of that, and I strongly suspect -- without any evidence that I am wrong -- that Revolution will be the same.

You asked me to name some examples of SF series I enjoyed. Well, the X Files would have to be one. The story arcs were never so embedded that an individual episode could not be enjoyed without that empty feeling which comes from a WTF? feeling when the credits roll. Dr Who has been following story arcs in recent series, but again these are not the drivers of the franchise and isolated episodes can be enjoyed without the need for a deep knowledge of the position the episode holds within the overall story arc. Frankly I find it easier to cite examples of quality TV that isn't SF. For example, I bought the novel Shogun at an airport in 1980 and enjoyed its 1,000+ pages immensely ... later that same year I also enjoyed the TV miniseries which ran to 9+ hours and left out almost nothing of the novel.

@ Kevin & Azhria Lilu Regarding Being Human ... I loved the pilot. It was the most awesomely novel and inventive scenario I'd ever seen and I hoped for more. The first series was rather good, but after that it all went downhill -- USian fashion -- with a convoluted labyrinth of story arcs and ever more ridiculous excuses to leave the "series" hanging unresolved in the hope of securing funding for another season.

@All Regarding TV SF. In the good old days, SF could be made on a small budget. The original The Day The Earth Stood Still was mind-blowingly excellent; the Keanu Reeves remake was a CGI spectacular pile of poop made on the heels of Reeves' box office pulling power in the wake of the hugely impressive Matrix (although the sequels that completed the hastily imagined trilogy were pale shadows of the original movie, made only to exploit the commercial success of the original).

There is an infinity of inventive creativity out there. My heart bleeds tears to see hackneyed memes endlessly recycled only because they are easy to produce, easy to sell to suit-wearing accountant execs, and -- crucially -- as easy to have written as any old soap opera.

In conclusion. SF has a special place in literature, and by extension it should respect that position and be responsible when entering the the motion picture field. The Leslie Nielson classic, The Forbidden Planet, works precisely because it does not rely on SF for the story (it's actually a parody of Shakespeare's The Tempest). Permit me to draw a comparison to the detective genre -- the who-dunnit. There are two flavours of crime story; in one variety we are shown the crime and follow the detective's progress as the crime is solved (eg. Columbo); in the other the crime is investigated cold by the hero (eg CSI). Now if we extend that to SF, we have the uncomfortable notion of an SF story where the SFian element is the mystery.

Uncomfortable? Yes. It is to me. Good SF is a ripping good yarn. Bad SF is a rotten story. But bad SF is also where the SF itself is the mystery. Revolution and Lost score off the top the scale in this respect. In this respect those shows have more in common with a terrible Agatha Christie yarn where -- whatever you think -- the ending will always leave you thinking WTF!!!!

@Azhria Lilu On the matter of genre soap opera like material, what are your thoughts on the original Dark Shadows series or the more recent Being Human (either the UK or US remake) series?
I only saw the first season of Being Human (UK version). I enjoyed it as a lightweight, easy to watch without having to give too much concentration type of show. I can't comment on where it went from there, but I think I heard it got a bit more interesting as time went on. I keep meaning to catch up. I quite fancy watching the US version and seeing where they've gone with it.

I haven't seen the original Dark Shadows series either. I don't recall it being shown over here, to be honest.

And 24.. yeah.. i couldn't watch it either.

Being human bored me from the outset, I watched the first series, then missed the start of the second which i have to admit did not bother me in the slightest, as if I am brutally honest it had zero substance, the whole vampire, werewolf and ghost scenario seemed to me nothing more than the basis for a horror based variation on the English/Irish/Scotsman joke, except this show wasn't funny.

I think Sci-Fi as a whole is all about the suspension of disbelief, and different shows have different effects on different people, Some can fully immerse themselves into the most implausible of scenario's for the sheer entertainment they offer, while some prefer to nit pick and point out technical anomalies or inconsistencies rather than get into the show and treat it for what it is......fictional. Its a case of what ever floats your boat really. If I Give a show a good try, then decide that I find it boring, I wont carry on watching it, not everything on TV is to my taste, it matters not which 'Ian' is behind it ;)

For those that make it to S2E2 be on the lookout for the library scene. Besides Stephen King books galore the writers give a little nod to the Twilight Zone episode "Time Enough At Last" with a character named Henry Bemis.

Well, they are certainly speeding things up with the action & twists in season 2. By the now the who/what/why/where/when/how questions about what caused the blackout have been answered. While the specifics of the blackout is a very decidedly sci-fi element the show itself seems to be moving more towards the action & political realm.

Oh, and if/when the world goes dark I know what part of the US I need to move to. :D

They now know the why, they just need the know how and technology to reverse it. I felt at first the storyline was rapidly approaching conclusion, but it can be eked out on the physical act of reversing the situation I guess. Just not 'that' long.

Revolution has been picked up by NBC for a second season. If you have not been watching out of the misery of broadcast networks cancelling shows, you are good to go to watch season 1 now. ;)

<spoilers>

Still enjoying it into season 2, but seems odd how many former generals are getting picked up by the Georgian President...yikes. At least it should make for interesting drama...

One recent beef: I think someone needs to put a lot more explanation into how devices could kill all the electricity, but miraculously keep deathly illnesses at bay.

<spoilers - skip if you are not current viewing the episodes>

"The Love Boat" ... any theories on what was encountered on level 7 of the elevator? I'm putting money on watchdog nanobots.

One recent beef: I think someone needs to put a lot more explanation into how devices could kill all the electricity, but miraculously keep deathly illnesses at bay.
My understanding is that the nanobots aren't really killing the electricity as much as they are sucking it up as soon as it is generated, kind of like trying to strike a match while the oxygen is being sucked out of the room. The pendants & amplifiers suppress the nanobots which allow the electricity to flow again unfettered.

[spoiler alert]
Just finished watching the season 2 finale...holy ****. Did not see that one coming.

Not sure how they're going to take that ending into a third season...but if they make it, should be fun to watch.
[/spoiler]

Just finished watching the season 2 finale...holy ****. Did not see that one coming.
Yep, I admit, parts of the S2 finale I did not see coming at all. I am usually pretty good at predicting what is going to happen in a show as I'm watching the episode progress but the last few minutes of the finale makes me glad I'm not a betting man.

Curious that 'that' flag is one held up by 'rebels'. I presume that will have confused one nations worth of viewers of the program.

Back