Sci-Fi Riddick (2013)

Tim

Creative Writer
Title: Riddick

Tagline: Survival Is His Revenge

Genre: Science Fiction, Action, Thriller

Director: David Twohy

Cast: Vin Diesel, Matt Nable, Katee Sackhoff, Jordi Mollà, Dave Bautista, Karl Urban, Bokeem Woodbine, Nolan Gerard Funk, Andreas Apergis, Noah Danby, Neil Napier, Raoul Max Trujillo, Conrad Pla, Danny Blanco Hall, Keri Hilson, Charlie Marie Dupont, Jan Gerste, Antoinette Kalaj, Alexandra Sokolovskaya

Release: 2013-09-02

Runtime: 119

Plot: Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before. Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge. With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction.
Riddick (2013)

They're trying to return to the style of Pitch Black which I think is good. I didn't really like Chronicles of Riddick at all. That said, I also heard he lands on a planet and has to walk through the dark fighting monsters to get to <destination> so that makes it kind of identical to the first one.

I think there's more that Riddick can do.

I'm soooo looking forward to this - especially as I've heard Dave Bautista is also in it (forgive me the moment of lust :D).... It's going to be eye-candy central with Dave, Vin and Karl.

How good to see this franchise still has some legs. Mister Diesel can do no wrong in my eyes -- even managing to prove that an action hero can do comedy without looking like an idiot (The Pacifier cf Kindergarten Cop & Stop or My Mom Will Shoot :P ).

They're trying to return to the style of Pitch Black which I think is good.
Vin Diesel has posted a teaser trailer to his Facebook account and the Pitch Black comparison really becomes apparent. Going back to the more simplistic action of Pitch Black could turn out to be a good thing to act as a quasi-reboot of the franchise and let the story line veer away from Chronicles of Riddick (which could be argued was just a retelling of Schwarzenegger's Conan The Barbarian).

That said, I also heard he lands on a planet and has to walk through the dark fighting monsters to get to <destination> so that makes it kind of identical to the first one.

I think there's more that Riddick can do.
Hey, it worked for Star Wars & Return of The Jedi! Since 'destroy the Death Star' was the premise of movies #4 & #6, anybody want to take bets on what happens in movie #8 in 2017? :D

Oh, for those interested ;), here's the teaser trailer....

anybody want to take bets on what happens in movie #8 in 2017?

That's different, it'll be Boba Fett's Death Star, not Darth Sidious'. Completely changes the context.

Plot Synopsis:
Outraged at his maltreatment by Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, the now immortal Boba Fett has learned to use the dark side of the force and used it to divine the plans to the death star. He has built it in secret within the Sarlacc Pit on Tatooine and has embarked on a mission of revenge against the enfeebled Han and Luke. Meanwhile, the children of Han and Leia and Luke and (wife?), now with kids of their own, have embarked on a galactic road trip. Taking them to all the significant locations from their parents' past. Hijinks ensue.

On topic, I actually like how this new Riddick movie looks. Wasn't a fan of Chronicles.

I liked both the previous installments a great deal. With all the felgercarb coming out of Hollywierd the last few years (decades) it's easy for me to have low standards I guess, lol.

I saw it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I almost liked it as much as the first one. It's Vin Diesel and Katee Sackhoff!

I enjoyed the movie it was a good night out. But have to say i loved the 2nd one the scale and the design were epic. hope to see more of the Necromunda

I'm betting we will see Riddick go after Vakko in the next installment. I hope he finds his home planet too, the ycould do some cool stuff with this story line.

I keep wanting to see these movies, and never end up getting the chance to do so...hopefully I get there before it's out of the first-run theaters.

Vin Diesel has posted a teaser trailer to his Facebook account and the Pitch Black comparison really becomes apparent. Going back to the more simplistic action of Pitch Black could turn out to be a good thing to act as a quasi-reboot of the franchise and let the story line veer away from Chronicles of Riddick (which could be argued was just a retelling of Schwarzenegger's Conan The Barbarian).
... and a quasi-reboot it was. It was handled gracefully though as to how Riddick goes from being the new ruler of the Necromongers to being back on a planet running from bounty hunters. Unlike some other franchise that just forget earlier movies even existed, Riddick ties together elements from both Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick.

With Vin Diesel now controlling the franchise I would be interested in seeing a 4th movie as it would be more of sequel in the lines of Pitch Black versus the big budget Chronicles.