Right In Front Of Me

Michael should have told her as soon as he made the decision to go to France. It wasn't fair that he was going to wait until the last minute. And it surely wasn't fair that she found out through a third party. Sydney had every right to be mad at him. And now, not only can't they see each other but the cell phone cost will be extremely high. The only way they'll be able to talk is by email. Unfortunately the time difference isn't going to help either.

Chris

Chapter 17
For the two weeks before Michael left for France, he and Sydney were nearly inseparable and neither of them cared if their parents found out about their relationship or not. Not that they were casual about kissing in front of them, they didn’t do that, they simply hugged a lot and refused to be separated. Finally, when it was time for Michael to leave for the airport, Amelia and Irina literally had to pry the two of them apart while Sydney cried and cursed at Michael for being ‘a big, dumb half-French person’.

While he was away, Sydney emailed Michael no less than three times a day, but since he had no internet connection available where he was staying, he was only able to check his email on weekends, which meant he had a lot of catching up to do. Despite missing Sydney, though, Michael actually had a good time in France, but he was definitely ready to come home at the end of his semester there.

The seventeen weeks and three days that Sydney and Michael were apart were the longest of her life. She never realized that it was possible to miss someone you loved that much until Michael had gone an ocean away. She missed just being able to pick up the phone and call him. She missed talking to him on a regular basis and she missed seeing him during her spring break. By two weeks before his return, she was counting down the hours. She also rearranged the schedule for all her final exams so that she could come home on the same day as him. She could barely force herself to study; she was so excited to see him.

Finally the day arrived and Sydney didn’t even bother waiting in her house; she waited on the Vaughn’s front porch and stood up immediately when she caught sight of the car. Michael had barely put one foot on the ground when Sydney tackled into him with a hug. He laughed and stumbled backwards so much that if he hadn’t been leaning against the car, he would have fallen; that was how forcefully she hugged him. “I hope this is Sydney,” he laughed softly as he hugged her back.

“It is!” she cried, her voice muffled because her face was buried in his shoulder. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you too,” he whispered and kissed her head. He went to walk forward, but she was weighing him down. “Syd,” he laughed softly.

“Nooo, no,” she whined and clung to him tighter.

He ended up walking into the house, still wearing his ‘Sydney necklace’. Once inside, Sydney removed her arms from around his neck and moved them to around his waist. “You’re not letting go anytime soon, are you?”

“No, I’m never letting go, ever,” she told him seriously.

“I think she missed you, Michael,” Amelia laughed softly.

“Yeah, thanks,” he rolled his eyes at her.

“You’re never allowed to go again, okay? Not unless you take me too,” Sydney sighed.

“Deal,” he laughed at her.

After clinging to him for another solid hour, Sydney finally begrudgingly left when she had to go and pick up her work schedule for the following week, but she promised she’d be back in a few hours so that she and Michael could spend the evening together. Once she was gone, Michael carried his suitcases directly to the laundry room where he began separating the items that needed washed. While he was doing this, his mother came in and smiled at him.

“What’s with you?” he asked her.

“Come now, Michael, I am not blind,” she said knowingly.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said seriously.

“You and Sydney. The way she hugged you,” Amelia said.

“She’s insane and she hasn’t seen me for seventeen weeks,” he said casually.

“Mmmhmm,” Amelia said in a tone making it clear she wasn’t buying into what he was saying. She stared at him for ten minutes before he groaned loudly.

“What do you want from me?”

“I want you to admit that you and Sydney have finally become more than friends,” Amelia told him.

“Fine,” he grunted. “We’re together romantically. Happy?”

Amelia squealed and hugged her son tightly, kissing both of his cheeks with a loud smacking noise. “I am so happy for you!”

“Yeah, yeah,” he mumbled as he wiped his cheeks where she had kissed with the palm of his hand.

“So, how did it happen? Did you write her a letter? Or no! Was it right before you left for France?” she asked excitedly.

“Actually, in a few months, it will be two years,” he told her.

If Amelia hadn’t been leaning up against the washer, she would have fallen over. “TWO YEARS!”

“Yep,” he smiled proudly. “Two whole years and you didn’t find out.”

“Michael, you are a horrible son,” Amelia pouted.

“What?! Why?” he laughed.

“Because! You kept this from me! I am insulted!” she spat.

“Mother, you know that if I had told you, you would have freaked out and run next door and grabbed Irina and gone to the nearest bridal shop and gone… nuts, basically. Sydney and I didn’t tell you because we didn’t want that type of insane reaction,” he told her.

“Well…,” Amelia began, but her son gave her a look. “Alright well, I understand why you didn’t tell us at first, but TWO years, Michael.”

“I’m sorry,” he told her. “We’ll tell you guys eventually, but until then you cannot tell anyone that you know, not even Irina. Not until I talk it over with Syd. Promise me.”

“Fine,” Amelia grumbled. “But you know I cannot keep secrets long!”

“I know,” he laughed softly.

“So you and Sydney, hmm? Two years,” Amelia smile grew larger with each word.

“Mom, don’t be nosey,” Michael sighed.

“If you tell me something, I’ll be more inclined to keep my mouth shut,” she told him.

“That’s blackmail,” he laughed. She looked more serious. “If I allow you to come with me when I’m shopping for rings, will that keep you quiet?”

Amelia burst into tears and flung herself on her son, who simply stood there helpless, patting his mother’s back softly. “Wow, okay, it’s okay…,” he said awkwardly.

“It’s perfect. You two are going to be so happy! You’re going to have the prettiest little chubby babies!” Amelia sobbed.

“Yeah… I know Mom,” he sighed, coming to the full realization of why he and Sydney hadn’t told her in the first place.

“So you and Sydney, hmm? Two years,” Amelia smile grew larger with each word.

“Mom, don’t be nosey,” Michael sighed.

“If you tell me something, I’ll be more inclined to keep my mouth shut,” she told him.

“That’s blackmail,” he laughed. She looked more serious. “If I allow you to come with me when I’m shopping for rings, will that keep you quiet?”

Amelia burst into tears and flung herself on her son, who simply stood there helpless, patting his mother’s back softly. “Wow, okay, it’s okay…,” he said awkwardly.

“It’s perfect. You two are going to be so happy! You’re going to have the prettiest little chubby babies!” Amelia sobbed.

“Yeah… I know Mom,” he sighed, coming to the full realization of why he and Sydney hadn’t told her in the first place.
Loved the update :lol: It was awesome!!! YAY he's going to propose :lol: Can't wait for more.

shouldnt they announce they are together before they become engaged
he is planning on propsoing right....*looksarooundworrriedly* right?

luv ya stuff

Just wait until Amelia and Irina find out that each other knows.
Amelia won't be happy that Irina had known for so long.

"Sydney necklace" loved it.

Back