Roguish Abilites

most games just show you holding a lockpick in one hand and a box in the other. you choose to "pick my box with my lockpick" and shazaam!!

wouldn't it be fun, while picking your box, to have a inside view of the locking mechanism. you would actually have to navigate the lock and figure it out. there could be all kinds of traps/locks. and each lock/trap could have several variations. i would like to see this implemented to make the disabling/disarming traps and picking locks a lot more fun. after all, rogues are supposed to excell at this trait.

there should be a bit more to it than having better number based skill.

Originally posted by Kickinbama@May 1 2006, 07:06 PM
most games just show you holding a lockpick in one hand and a box in the other. you choose to "pick my box with my lockpick" and shazaam!!

wouldn't it be fun, while picking your box, to have a inside view of the locking mechanism. you would actually have to navigate the lock and figure it out. there could be all kinds of traps/locks. and each lock/trap could have several variations. i would like to see this implemented to make the disabling/disarming traps and picking locks a lot more fun. after all, rogues are supposed to excell at this trait.

there should be a bit more to it than having better number based skill.
Oblivion already does this, and I belive it would be an awsome thing to put in. Now they made it so your mouse would be more steady the higher levels you got, thus Simutronics could do the same thing if they really saw to. This could get implemented, and should if lock-picking is going to be a big thing :smiley:

I'm all for it.

I'm a thief in Oblivion and this is actually one of my favorite abilities. It's actually an entertaining mini-game, go figure.

I think this would be fun, but I believe a few "hardcore" people would cry foul as it's more based on player skill than on your character skill.

What I think would be cool is if you left it still up to the character's skill but had a picture in picture window of the action going on inside. I doubt this would ever happen though, but I think it would be very neat.

thats exactly what i meant. numbered skills is the same thing as human skill to me. since none of us actually kill enemies to find locked boxes. (unless someone out there is an actual locksmith)

Either way I would enjoy opening with your own skill that is augmented by your character's stats.

I've always wanted to become good at lockpicking just for the heck of it. Always thought it would be a fun little trick that takes practice and would be a cool achievement.

Thinking about this, and hopefully not straying too far off the OP, I would like to see other things lockpicking could be used for. Making keys and such for other players and heck maybe even being able to lock some doors or something. Not to the point you could grief others but it would be neat none the less.

Dragon Realms made lockpicking boxes a blast. Though it wasn't skill based, you were sometimes suprised by a failure and the box would explode. Now I do not mean the box simply vanished and you lost the loot, but you would take damage and anyone else around you would as well. Some of the best fun I had was once setting off an AOE poison cloud at the "Crossing" which was a main gathering point in Dragon Realms. Many people died and many others had to seek Empaths to get healed. LMAO, Then the town guards came and got me and I had to sit in jail awhile.

Oh man, I hope Simutronics implements Dragon Realms ideas into HJ. I stopped playing DR a few years ago to search for an MMORPG and haven't been satisfied since.

In GSIII there were various components to lockpicking. It combined stat bonuses, quality of lockpick, skill trained in picking, skill trained in disarming, perception, and random d-100 rolls for added spice. In GSIII people actually trained dedicated lockpickers. I don't think anyone realizes the significance of this - the picking system was SO GOOD that people wanted to play their entire character by sitting in one place to pick locks, socialize, and role-play. Or they hunted for a while and picked locks to unwind. Huge system there, and I absolutely loved it.

Originally posted by Gleamor@May 7 2006, 06:03 AM
Dragon Realms made lockpicking boxes a blast. Though it wasn't skill based, you were sometimes suprised by a failure and the box would explode. Now I do not mean the box simply vanished and you lost the loot, but you would take damage and anyone else around you would as well. Some of the best fun I had was once setting off an AOE poison cloud at the "Crossing" which was a main gathering point in Dragon Realms. Many people died and many others had to seek Empaths to get healed. LMAO, Then the town guards came and got me and I had to sit in jail awhile.

Oh man, I hope Simutronics implements Dragon Realms ideas into HJ. I stopped playing DR a few years ago to search for an MMORPG and haven't been satisfied since.
I'm hoping Royce gets in on boxes, and hopefully we can do that kind of stuff.
(I have some good ideas, but I can't code. I can throw them at him however)

and um, the boxes that explode did disappear with the loot, they just blew up come on!

I love the frog boxes though. "Ribbit!"

Originally posted by Silver001@May 7 2006, 11:47 AM
In GSIII there were various components to lockpicking. It combined stat bonuses, quality of lockpick, skill trained in picking, skill trained in disarming, perception, and random d-100 rolls for added spice. In GSIII people actually trained dedicated lockpickers. I don't think anyone realizes the significance of this - the picking system was SO GOOD that people wanted to play their entire character by sitting in one place to pick locks, socialize, and role-play. Or they hunted for a while and picked locks to unwind. Huge system there, and I absolutely loved it.
Exactly, this is what I did for friends. I wasn't a full timer as I enjoy the idea of theft to often, but I had adequate skill after lvl 50 and spent allot of time finding a box that was high enough to do damage that I could use low quality lockpicks on to get the best affect when I finally failed ...

I for sure didn't use the ivory lockpicks on them, lmao!

Back