role model

kertu

Cadet
hey!
i´m writing a graduation thesis on how the contemporary heroine influences the formation of gender identities.
i would appreciate it if you´d share your thoughts on some of these issues with me. i´ll post some questions but all other comments you may have on this matter are extremely welcome aswell.
1.does watching a show depicting a female heroine in a typically male realm change your ideas about gender roles?
2.are characters like Sydney and Buffy too unbelievable for women to identify with?
3.do the ultra-feminine outfits decrease or increase the heroine`s level of empowerment?your ideas on the opposition between strong woman vs. sexual object.
4. Does the reproduction of the beauty ideal through a heroine harm the viewer`s self-esteem if they don´t fit the prescribed mold?
you can also send me an email at kertu.liik@mail.ee

1.) No, because I already had those ideas in the first place, that not only guys should be spies and stuff like that. People should be able to do whatever they like, and not worry about gender roles.

2.)Having never watched Buffy (well, maybe an odd episode here and there), i'm going to focus on Alias. The shows themselves, are sort of unbelievable (I mean, come on, a vampire slayer? If you said you were a vampire slayer in real life, people would look at you like you were nuts.) but thinking about the characters themselves (and not the main plot of the show and the situations they deal with), I'd say Sydney was pretty believable. She's human, and has many problems other people may have (not talking to her father, trust issues with her friends, seeing her one true love marry another woman...etc). However, she's a spy while trying to live a normal life, and that will add in complications (Francie clone, 2 years...etc) that will seem unbelievable. She's dealt with a lot and been able to control herself, so I'd say that she's a pretty believable character.

3.) The ultra feminine outfits do decrease the heroine's level of empowerment, seeing as she looks like just another guy's toy. However, Alias needs viewers and I do like some of the "disguises" :D so I think they're ok, but they strongly contrast with Sydney's whole "strong woman" identity.

4.)It depends on the viewer. If they don't already have strong self-esteem, its not going to matter. For me, I'll watch Jen onscreen and think about how incrediably gorgeous she is, and how fit she is...etc but it doesn't bother me, seeing as how I'm pretty comfortable with myself. I accept myself for who I am.

Is that ok? Is it enough?

that is so cool that you're writing a thesis on that. wow. anyway, part of the reason i watch alias is because it features a strong female heroine. it makes me sick to see a pathetic woman needing a man to save her. ok...

1) same as vaughnfan13, already had those ideas

2) i think that the world is changing and it's becoming easier for women to identify with strong female leads, because of the increase in these roles. after all, sydney, is feminine but strong at the same time. she's not perfect. she has weaknesses and issues, but she doesn't give up.

3)i don't think the sexy outfits have anything to do with the heroine's level of empowerment. i think too often, the world sees strong women as not feminine enough and overly-masculine. sydney is strong, but feminine too, showing the world that a woman can still feel pretty and sexy, but kick ass when need be.

4) i again agree with vaughnfan13. it depends on the viewer. it's possible that it could hurt a viewer's self-esteem. after all, jennifer garner's got to be one of the most beautiful people in the world. but, she's not too skinny. she's closer to a real woman's shape than most other actresses. it doesn't hurt my self-esteem to see that.

good luck with this thesis. you picked an awesome topic. i hope i helped a little bit.

Interseting questions...I'm a guy but I'll try my best to answer them :lol:.

1) Like everyone else said ^_^ .

2) Well Buffy kills vampires so thats unbelieveable in itself but I know what ya mean :lol:. To start off with I'm not a woman so its hard for me to say but I don't think its too far out to think of women in these kind of roles? I mean why not? Its not like in the 50's wives stay home all day.

3) Might sound like a guy thing but...feels comfortable? Wear it :lol: .

4) Um, I think so. I would change something about me too be a little like some stars...its natural..I'm sure some would too, but then again, I'm known to have very low self-esteem reguardless lol.

2: i think Buffy could have been at times. i didn't really watch it much. and when i did i didn't personally find her a really believable character. but i don't think Sydney is. i think she's easy to relate to. everyone can understand feelings of betrayal, hurt, anger. many people can relate to the pain and anger of losing a loved one. it's an extreme situation, but really it's only an exaggerated and enhanced version of real life emotions. and that's what people relate to. often not the situation itself is not what people relate to, it's the emotions that prompted them and the emotions caused by them.

3: i think they can. in Charlie's Angels the movies ended up losing alot of that female empowerment because it was so unrealistic. the angels are too sexy, and revealing without necessity for it. and that can objectify women. Sydney only wears revealing clothes on missions where it is occasionally required. she doesn't show up to work at the CIA in a mini-skirt, and see through blouse.

4: well it can, but that lies solely on the viewer if they allow themselves to feel they are not acceptable because of that image of female beauty. and if a viewer finds it difficult to watch a show like ALIAS without feeling badly about themselves, then they should simply not watch the show. or pick up Vogue or Vanity Fair. i'm simply saying that the depiction of a woman viewed generally as beautiful does not have the guaranteed response of causing other women who do not look as she does to feel bad about themselves.

1. i just think its nice to have a strong female lead. even if its a male lead, if they are strong then i think that its great. but i do not like to see wimpy characters, male or female. unfortunately i feel there are more pathetic females characters out there then male.

2. i think they are a little unbelievable, but thats ok. that doesnt mean that there arent people out there who have pretty weird lives

3. well, its its comfy, then put it on. but those disguises dont look pretty comfortable. i think its more of a strong versus wimpy (not sure how much that is gonna help).

4. i feel pretty good about myself most of the time. for me, its more of an inspiration than a feel bad about yourself kind of thing. im sure there are paople out there where it is the opposite, but i hope that number is few

hope i helped

Back