Roleplaying a Paladin

I was originally disappointed not to see a standard Paladin class listed for Hero's Journey. However, after reviewing my Paladin experiences from EQ through WoW, I believe this may not be a bad thing.

In Hero's Journey, I plan to adventure as a Warrior/Cleric or Warrior/Healer and roleplay my character as a Paladin. I have considered starting a guild on a roleplaying server, called simply: 'The Paladin Guild,' to restore and organize the Paladins together in Elanthia once more.

The following is to define what I believe it means to be and roleplay a Paladin. I don't care for the current Paladin stereotypes that have come from the last 10 years of mmorpgs: A defensive tank with weak offense, poor back-up healing spells, mediocre buffing ability, and a small magic arsenal only useful against undead. A Jack-of-all-trades, yet master of none in all online games I know of, except DragonRealms.

Here is a definition of a Paladin from a World of Warcraft resource: A Paladin in the World of Warcraft is a heavily armored melee class that has the ability to support his or her teammates by healing, buffing and tanking. In practice, the Paladin is a controversial class that offers amazing survivability, and endless frustration for all.

No. no. no.

What is a Paladin? Here are some ideas as they pertain to both the real world and the existing world of Elanthia.

The Paladin represents many things: The sword of justice, the kind hand of the gods, the chivalrous mind, a crusader in the name of good and order, the champion of law in all matters, the smiter of evil in all forms. This holy warrior is measured in the eyes of his god by the pureness of his soul through which acts of good, charity, and kindness are favorably viewed upon by the gods, thus purifying their soul.

Much more than an armour clad, weapon wielding instrument of the gods, the Paladin also bears the responsibility of being a figure of leadership of the people. They are given the ability to inspire and lead their companions to victory, give courage where there was none before, smite foes with the power of their magic and aid the living and dead with their holy glyphs and wards.

A Paladin is a follower of both laws and Law. The Paladin must never attack others without just cause, or harm living things without need, or act against good order, lest his powers be removed by the gods until, once more, he or she proves worthy to possess them.

There are many who claim the title Paladin, yet act as a Barbarian. It is my hope that this will help those who choose the life of a Paladin, act as a Paladin.

A Paladin is only part knight or warrior. The Paladin class is often seen as a prestige class in pen & paper roleplaying games, instead of a standard class or even a hybrid class. An order attainable only after fulfilling certain goals of experience, morality, and servitude. Choosing to become a Paladin is only the beginning of an embarkment on a long and difficult path, but a worthwhile one.

Breaking down the real world definition of a Paladin:

Paladin: Any of the Twelve Peers of Charlemagne's court, of whom the Count Palatine was the chief; Knight Errant; Champion; A person revered especially for noble courage;

Knight: Military follower, especially one devoted to the service of a lady as a attendant or champion in war or tournament.

Champion: Person who fights or argues, etc., for another or for a cause.

Knight Errant: Medieval Knight in search of chivalrous adventure; Person of chivalrous or quixotic spirit.

Quixote: Enthusiastic visionary, pursuer of lofty but impractical ideals, persons utterly regardless of his material interests in comparison with honour or devotion. Hence quixotic.

Chivalrous: The ideal Knight, gallant, honorable, courteous, disinterested; Quixotic.

Chivalry: Medieval Knightly system, with its religious, moral and social code; Ideal Knight's characteristics; Devotion to the service of a woman; Inclination to defend the weaker party; Elite of a Nations soldiers.

Honour: High Respect; Glory; Reputation; Good Name; Nobleness of Mind; Allegiance to what is right or to conventional standards of conduct.

Courage: The quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

The Knight followed the Code of Chivalry. Chivalry was the dream of the Middle Ages, which saw the Knight as the champion of the downtrodden or oppressed. They expressed a genuine desire for the betterment of the human (or in the realms any race) state. A Knight was to be chivalrous at all times.

Against the idea of Spiritual Chivalry was that of Courtly Love. Knights where instructed to devote themselves solely and utterly to a single lady, irrespective of whether she was already married or returned their amorous desires. At its worst, this was an excuse for adultery, yet, at its best, it furthered a new respect, almost becoming idolatry, for women. What this was about was the proper way of approaching or addressing the lady of choice.

All of this must be tempered with honour. These are the ideals which a Knight lived by. One who dishonored himself would be seen as a fallen Knight.

Paladins are not unlike Templars, Knights who gave up their land and joined a religious order headed by the Master, which could be called the military arm of the Church. Life for a Templar was exceedingly hard, if they wished to stay in the land this side of the sea, they were sent to the other and so forth. They are the typical image of the Knights who lead the Holy Crusades throughout the Holy Land wearing the whitetabard with a red cross.

An important thing to realize about Paladins is that they have a divine calling. Paladins are warriors, yes, but only for the 'good' side. Paladins are courageous to the point of fearlessness and will do what it takes to defeat whatever evil may be present in a situation. When roleplaying a Paladin, keep this in mind, as an evil Paladin is an impossibility. I do not believe in the idea of a Dark Paladin. If a Paladin has fallen from goodness, then he/she is no longer worthy of that name. They become simply a fallen knight.

A Paladin gains their purpose, or cause from his/her deity. Some take it upon themselves to right the wrongs that they see, however, not all Paladins are exclusive students of the blade and shield.
What better way to learn of a cause or a wrong that needs righting than to be affiliated with a group that has ties to all of society. The sheer network of information would be very useful for such a man or woman. A Paladin may use many different means, political or otherwise, to accomplish his goals. Though he may be affiliated to a specific church, the acquisition of such information can not be accomplished by cloistering oneself away.

To be a Paladin is not to seek power or mastery over others, but to submit to service and responsibility.

--------------------------------------

"The way of our guild is not for the frivolous of weak of heart. Our path lies under scrutiny of the gods, who are quick to reward those who bring honor to our Order, and equally quick to punish those who bringdishonour . Only the most valiant and earnest shall endure in our Order. The weakling, the coward, the liar, and cheat shall fail in the testing and be lost. Those who endure and triumph shall win great skill, both at arms and of the mind." - Sir Beren

"Share the knowledge you gain, for 'tis our duty to banish the Darkness with the Light of knowledge. The Paladin's greatest strength is knowledge, his sword and armour mere tools to hone a virtuous heart. Thus, you must return here to share your wisdom and open your mind to the Elder's teachings" - Sir Beren

"The Paladin's greatest gift is that of leadership. When a Knight's heart is true and courage sound, the gods shall grant him the ability to strengthen others so they shall fight all the better under his guidance." - Sir Beren

"Never abuse your skills or take them for granted. What the gods give, they also can remove." - Sir Beren

Sir Beren - Founder of the Paladin Guild Hall in The Crossing, Elanthia

The Paladin's Code

The Paladin's Code defines our attitudes, shapes our personality, and serves to remind us of who we are and what we believe in. It is intended to provide a basis for proper behavior, so that, in spite of our being many, we may live in one house, according to one rule, with one soul and one heart.

The Paladin's Code is uncompromising, requiring absolute dedication. Violations have severe consequences, ranging from reprimands to suspensions of our special abilities. Extreme violations may result in loss of Paladin status or even death. Still, we consider the Code a privilege, not a burden. All conduct has a moral quality. Every action is a choice between right and wrong. With justifiable pride, we consider ourselves the embodiment of the highest standards of morality, decency, and duty.

The Code embodies the following principles:

Valor: A Paladin demonstrates unyielding courage in the face of adversity. No danger is too great to prevent us from fulfilling a promise or completing a mission. Our commitment is stronger than fear of pain, hardship, or even death. A Paladin's valor is particularly evident on the battlefield. We regard war as a noble enterprise, and combat as an opportunity to glorify our province, our guild, our deity, and ourselves. A Paladin will attack an enemy without hesitation, continuing to fight until the enemy is slain, withdraws, or we are seriously wounded or killed. Whenever possible, we choose the most formidable enemy as our primary target. In general, we prefer melee to missile combat, so we can fight our opponent face to face.

Honour: We conduct ourselves with integrity regardless of circumstance. We avoid even the appearance of impropriety, remaining pure in word, deed, and thought. We behave in a morally sound manner even when alone or when no one else will know of our actions. We accept all challenges to duel or fight given by those of comparable status and power. (A challenge from an arrogant youngster or drunken warrior may go unheeded)
A Paladin will die before compromising our principles, betraying our vows, the guild we represent, or abandoning a protected charge. We acknowledge the dignity of all lawful people, regardless of their race, sex, class, economic status, by treating them with courtesy and respect. We show mercy to the repentant, and refuse to inflict undue suffering, even on the vilest evildoer. (It is an admirable act to comfort a dying friend, but an act of honor to comfort a dying enemy)

Loyalty: Once a Paladin pledges loyalty to the Order, we are bound indefinitely. The responsibilities associated with fealty include, but are not limited to:

* Faithfully serving the guild regardless of personal adversity
* Promoting the principles and ideals of the guild
* Honouring and respecting symbols and representatives of the guild.
* Sacrificing his or her life for the guild if necessary.

Honesty: A Paladin will always speak the truth as we know it. We may decline to speak or choose to withhold information, but we will never intentionally mislead anyone, even our enemies. We may, however, frame answers in such a way as to withhold vital information. A Paladin does not make promises lightly. Once our word is given, we always keep it.

Courtesy: Courtesy involves more than merely following the rules of etiquette. It is also an attitude, the way we present ourselves to the world. A Paladin carries himself or herself proudly, maintains self-control, and accepts ill-mannered behavior with grace.
We follow social customs to the best of our ability.
We are polite and deferential to friends and strangers alike. We speak tactfully and kindly. We never knowingly insult or slander another person, even our greatest enemy. We behave with dignity. A Paladin refrains from emotional outbursts, excessive eating and drinking, foul language, and other boorish acts. We keep ourselves immaculately groomed. We consider the feelings of others and take care not to offend them. A Paladin always demonstrates proper manners. (Shaking hands with friends, expressing gratitude for favours)

Humility: The Paladin remains humble in spirit and action. We speak modestly of our deeds, if at all.

Industry: A Paladin engages in productive activity at all times. We work diligently until the job at hand is complete. When not working, the Paladin studies, teaches, and advises younger, less experienced Paladins.

Generosity: A Paladin shares his or her meager funds and possessions with any lawful good person in need. The Paladin is generous of spirit, always willing to lend an ear to a troubled companion or acknowledge a friend's accomplishments with lavish and praise.

The Paladin is sworn to honour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

Well written! I've seen so few people follow the Paladin code in their rp - I guess they think they're making things more "pithy" by shacking up with a warlock/necromancer gnome even if they're human themselves (logistics defy the mind there!), but the codexes for most of these classes is more than enough scope to work with, without having to add not-so-clever twists. Playing a pure paladin is hard work, especially in a setting where your codexes are constantly being tested (my ex played a paladin as purely as possible in EQ, and it's all he ever plays, but as more games add paladin classes they also seem to make it more difficult to play them). I'm looking at some of the more extreme factions like White Lotus or perhaps something for ranger/druid types as it would really give me something to work with and play into, and challenge me immensely to do so. How does one play a healer who is not allowed to raise a hand in battle? The empath idea in Dragonrealm fascinated me immensely - too bad I can't play MUDS (curse you, dyslexia!)

It's sometimes very challenging and rewarding to try and rp INSIDE the box, rather than adding some demonic taints and three anthro tails to your characters. Paladins are more than just wearing armour and casting holy spells.

Trillian said:
How does one play a healer who is not allowed to raise a hand in battle? The empath idea in Dragonrealm fascinated me immensely - too bad I can't play MUDS (curse you, dyslexia!)

It's sometimes very challenging and rewarding to try and rp INSIDE the box, rather than adding some demonic taints and three anthro tails to your characters. Paladins are more than just wearing armour and casting holy spells.

I mentioned non-combat classes elsewhere, but, yes, it is my hope that the Healer, and maybe other classes will allow you to advance both as a combat healer and a healer who never sees battle. Fun for all. Let's keep our fingers crossed! :smiley:

Do the powers make a paladin, or does the man make the paladin?

Paladins in most games are pigeonholed into being a combination of warrior and cleric (healer). Why shouldn't it be possible for someone with another class setup to follow the code and be considered a paladin? Any combi with gearknight or warrior who is willing to live by the code should qualify as long as they have nothing inherently evil (necromancy, dark cleric, rogue who uses stealth attacks, ranger who strikes from cover) paired with it. Warrior/Wizard, Cleric/Wizard, Warrior/Bard all strike me as good non-standard paladins, tough enough to wade into combat and (with discretion in the use of skills) still facing their opponent openly and directly.

Feel free to debate the merits of combis other than Warrior/Cleric, Warrior/Healer, Gearknight/Cleric, or Gearknight/Healer (and vice versa as primary) in regards to their ability to follow the Paladin's Code. I'm feeling lazy so I won't argue my positions just yet.

The man or woman's actions/etc are what make the Paladin, both initially and throughout their life. Once they join the order, they are blessed with powers and abilities, specific to the Paladin, to aid them in their quest to serve their god.

Since there is no pre-defined class combination that equates to the Paladin 'pigeon hole' in Hero's Journey, I would support the idea that other combinations would easily qualify one to become a Paladin.

You are on the right page with Warrior/Cleric, Warrior/Healer, Gearknight/Cleric, Gearknight/Healer and their opposites. Maybe others as well.

However, there are certainly class combinations that, in my opinion, cross the line. For example: Necromancer/Rogue - While some might argue a clever way to attempt to roleplay this combination, the core ideas of what these two classes are 'about' clearly go against the principles of Paladinhood. Paladins are enemies of the undead and would not practice necromancy or other demonic arts. The path of the Paladin also doesn't coincide with the traits of a Rogue: stealing, backstabbing, hiding, stalking, etc...

I would be interested in hearing and considering what other combinations might be appropriate, though I don't really care to debate such obviously inappropriate combos as that mentioned above. ;)

WatchMaker said:
Well done....for a pally :O

Heh. Anyway, as well written as that was, I still have to stick to my rouge/ranger.
Is that the class combo that fires make-over pellets out of a lipstick tube at range, all the while accompanied by their fashion accessory chihuaua? ;)

I wouldn't think that 'living by the code' doth a Pali make. The code itself is but a somewhat finite expression of that which is already within a Paladian. You can't have the chicken before the egg.

Someone(s) had to be a living example of those qualities which later became expressed as 'The Code' in order for them to even be recognized as qualities of character et al capable of being lived. Thus the code, being a relative decendant of those who actually lived it, is something to aspire to.

However! *points finger in the air*

That one for whom the code becomes indistingishable in act and in deed as if it were his/her 'natural' way of being without so much as a forethought....

That one is a Paladian.

Yet even moreso; The Code pales to mere rote when compared to nature of The True Paladian be they man; or woman.

All right, since nobody wants to start a debate on the specifics of classes and their relation to the paladin, I'll get it going. We're obviously excluding necromancers, no if ands or buts. However, what about a rogue?

My stance: if a rogue is your PRIMARY class, you're unlikely to be able to become a paladin. Every time you spy on an enemy, every time you strike from the shadows, you're directly violating the spirit and letter of the Code. However, if you are a rogue SECONDARY it may be possible. As long as you take the secondary for purposes of lockpicking or expanded skill availability, and are still open and honest while on the field of battle, in addition to following the other aspects of the Code, you'll work just fine. However, if you as a player can't handle not using a powerful aspect of the class (stealth and debilitating attacks), you should avoid playing a paladin with a rogue subclass, play one who is constantly falling from grace (just don't expect to advance far in the Order), or find some way to give vent to your stealthy propensities on another character. You as a player have to remember: the Code applies even if nobody is looking, and in a role-playing game, you should always be in character or sitting at character select.

I think as long as you fight for what you think is good, and what you think is right, you can call yourself a paladin. Stabbing someone in the back, or in the front, is not what makes a pally IMOPO.

I've played Paladins in lots of games...

... I once started a HUGE debate over at TCO about whether a Paladin should be celibate or not. Opinion was pretty much split 50-50.

I think what this post is trying to say is, you're not considered a Paladin by what you class title or abilities say, you're considered a Paladin by how to act as a character.

Back