Roleplaying By Design

[The] general point is that roleplaying in MMOGs will remain an odd little niche behavior until designers can be persuaded to reward activities other than combat.

He's right :smiley:

(And we agree.)

As to how we're going to reward it...we have a plan!

Details, Steph! Details!

If you've played our IFEs (Interactive Fiction Engine - ie: DR, GS, etc.), you already know some of what we have planned. :smiley:

Steph
HJ Lead Designer

I think that people who RP will be given additional quests. Like, if you just kind of click on an NPC, maybe they won't tell you about something. But if, like, an NPC hears you and your buddies talking about something similar to what his/her quest is, maybe they'll ask for help.

I don't know, I'm just making crazy stuff up. *shrug*

Navarre said:
[The] general point is that roleplaying in MMOGs will remain an odd little niche behavior until designers can be persuaded to reward activities other than combat.

He's right :smiley:

(And we agree.)

As to how we're going to reward it...we have a plan!

Details, Steph! Details!

If you've played our IFEs (Interactive Fiction Engine - ie: DR, GS, etc.), you already know some of what we have planned. :smiley:

Steph
HJ Lead Designer

Gemstone IV

Folks can be nominated by other players for good roleplaying. Normally it requires a nomination and a reason why it was good roleplay.

GMs will take controll of NPCs and will do thing out of the ordinary to see if you are roleplaying or not. How you interact with them will determine if you will recieve a rewards.

Role playing rewards also were given out when a storyline/plot was affecting all of the lands. How the characters roleplayed these events/quests. Gemstone IV has a problem with this one. Normally, there were quest wh0res who happen to be in EVERY plot. If you were not part of their little clique, you were ignored no matter how hard you roleplayed.

What are these roleplaying rewards? Sometimes it is Titles, items, etc...

I would not call myself a role player, but I am open to the idea of role playing.

As you say in your original post Navarre, rewards for role playing will most likely result in more role playing behaviour by players.

As to what reward would accomplish this goal, for myself at least, I am not sure. And who decides what role playing actually is.

Let me ask this question then...What is role playing?

Presto said:
I would not call myself a role player, but I am open to the idea of role playing.

As you say in your original post Navarre, rewards for role playing will most likely result in more role playing behaviour by players.

As to what reward would accomplish this goal, for myself at least, I am not sure. And who decides what role playing actually is.

Let me ask this question then...What is role playing?

GMs decide and reward points.

Cynical answer: Who ever pays the company the most money.

Aye, this is an old chestnut. There's no reason to "define" roleplaying extensively - most people know what it means. It doesn't mean walking around with a name XUBAHD00D and using textspeak constantly, it isn't talking about real life stuff all the time, and it isn't playing the roleplay servers because there are "more mature people" there whilst sneering outright at anyone who does choose to get more in character. It doesn't need to be any more defined than that, and those rules are pretty standard to every roleplay server. The problem is, those rules are so rarely obeyed.

As above, the GMs decide. If someone named XElFgRLzREZX comes up saying "is this an event?" ever five seconds, chances are they're going to get little for their pains. I doubt the GMs will even be pressed to award someone extra points for using Shakespearean English (usually badly). But an effort and trying not to "lol", at actually typing words out properly and not talking about cell phones is at least in the right direction. Up to GM discretion really. I'm sure there will be whinging about this, but there always will be, no matter what is done.

In the end, I roleplay because I love to, not because it will earn me phat lewt. That's a bonus, but not the reason I'll be doing it - I do it because I enjoy it. If it encourages more people to rp, then brilliant, it means less people I have to constantly ignore because they're talking about their high level characters in other games.

Trillian said:
If it encourages more people to rp, then brilliant, it means less people I have to constantly ignore because they're talking about their high level characters in other games.

Isn't it the truth. Roleplaying isn't someone saying in game...

do you have a 60? (I mean what the heck does that mean?)
I answered sorry I don't have 60 silvers for you.
That isn't what i meant.
I answered sorry I don't have 60 seconds for you.
No no do you have a 60 level character(ignore)

Or

YES I AM 31ST LEVEL! X-( Try this instead. I just came back from my 31st time at the trainer (still bad but better than the other)

An OOC DING is just MMO, which is a part of MMORPG.
I think raving about your skills in levels anyway is pretty, not RPish. LoL Shouldn't even be brought up in an IC convo.

'Cept o' course in a "I was taught swordsmanship from blah blah blah!"-sort of a way. Levels, never. Skills? Sure, those can be discussed, but only if handled... well.

Back