Romance Fiction Writers Union

ok so i really think its time to get the ball rolling on this whole union thing....

see the whole point of the union is us writers are sick of a few things:
first we update and not many people reply.... I for example have a HUGE Pm list - of almost 100 people... but after each chapter i post i never get more than 50 reviews - which is still alot but only half of my pm list. so for those of you who have short PM list you may only get 5 reviews which isnt very helpful
also the replys that we do get are not always sufficient - i dont kno about you but personally "great upate...thanks for the PM...update soon" doesnt help me all that much -- we want reviews of substance and preferabley with quotes!
third - constuctive critisim here people! its ok if you say 'well i liked that but it might have been better if Michael.....' but we dont want reviews that say 'wow michael is really stupid he shouldn't do that' (i mean assuming michael didnt shoot himself in the face by accident - thus a review like that would be appropriate)

any other ideas.......?

I know what you mean. I've definatly been there a number of times. If you're stuck it's very hard to find the motivation to force yourself to continue. Sometimes what i do is start to write a whole different story compleltly. Or i just do something to get my mind off of the problem. Sometimes you just need to step away for awhile and then come back to it. Or sometimes you can get inspired by other things. Sometimes when i'm watching a movie i'll go "Hey, that's cool! What if Sydney did something like that!"

Writers block for me is when i know what i want to write but i don't know how too. Sometimes it's just a chapter. So if you know where you want your story to go i suggest skipping over the part of the story your having trouble with and moving forward slightly. There's nothing wrong with skipping forward to a chapter, just make sure when you go back that it makes sense.

That was such awesome advice. That's what I did. I fast forwarded my story about 2 weeks. I find that by doing that I can skip over some of the more mundane aspects of my story. Thanks a bunch. Have a great Christmas! ;)

first we update and not many people reply.... I for example have a HUGE Pm list - of almost 100 people... but after each chapter i post i never get more than 50 reviews - which is still alot but only half of my pm list. so for those of you who have short PM list you may only get 5 reviews which isnt very helpful

also the replys that we do get are not always sufficient - i dont kno about you but personally "great upate...thanks for the PM...update soon" doesnt help me all that much -- we want reviews of substance and preferabley with quotes!

third - constuctive critisim here people! its ok if you say 'well i liked that but it might have been better if Michael.....' but we dont want reviews that say 'wow michael is really stupid he shouldn't do that' (i mean assuming michael didnt shoot himself in the face by accident - thus a review like that would be appropriate)

ok can I join?
ok shh I know I'm not the best person to join since I haven't updated in ages, but I do agree with what Janet wrote ^^^

this may not apply to you guys, but do you also feel that you review enough fics yourself to get a decent number of reviews yourself? it's also kind of discouraging if barely half the people on your list review and that makes you not want to write

do you ever feel like the only people who actually do review with a good review and quotes or like with a lot of substance are the people who know you? all the people on my list who write one sentence reviews don't know me and the people who do always review really well

and when people you know who are on your pm list and then they don't review your fic and then they give someone else the biggest review ever like the same day you update or the day after or something and you're just like... thanks...

well that's just me...

ok now I actually have inspiration to write! i should get my thoughts out more often, it actually helps

luv JuJu :harp:

Just a lil note...

everyone listen to Kristina! She's a GENIUS! Joe's Bar and Grill is SOOOOOOO amazing!!!!!

Hehehehe sudden outburts.... just read like 10 chapters in a row so yeah :D

Aly xx :angelnot:

^ :lol: ditto!

and i know what you mean, juju, about the whole thing about people not writing alot when they review, but you have to keep in mind that not all people are gonna have the time to sit around all day and give everyone good reviews. i mean, it'd be nice to, but its really time consuming, know what i mean? like if i had the time, i'd make the effort to quote and everything, but it'd take me a little short of forever..

ok so i really think its time to get the ball rolling on this whole union thing....

any other ideas.......?

I'm usually on SD-1, and I have all of my fics over there. I know what you mean though. I have a huge PM list, and the story is almost 300 pages long, but not many people reply. (It's a bit off topic) but some people say that at SD-1 not many people reply to their stories, but it's completely the opposite for me :P

But I find if you wait long enough before you update again, then people reply.. and if you threaten to take people off the PM list, they'll reply (or ask to be taken off list) which has happened... which is bad. :P and personally, I don't care if the person says 'great update, thanks for the PM', it tells me that they actually read the update and liked it. (but I think all writers appreciate the people that quote) :P

Back