Politics Ronald Reagan dies

i loved the funeral esp. when nancy got out and everyone applauded. i feel so bad for the military ppl who were in uniform in the 90+ degree weather and the humidity, wow! imagine that AND carrying the 700+lbs. coffin up 99 steps in front of the world. that's amazing.

haha, the speakers. too bad the president pro temp doesnt know that the "s" in Illinois is silent. and just for the record, Reagan was a California guy, not Illinois, even though he grew up there. i think that they were just trying to link him to the first Republican president (lincoln).

And also the fact he nearly brought the world to the brink of ww3 , with a little help from his 'mistress', the then British PM, Maggie Thatcher

insulting on some many levels its untrue. Can you really see her being anyones mistress?

I think Reagan did a great job and was fundementally in the closeness of the trans-atlantic alliance.

noggi16 said:
And also the fact he nearly brought the world to the brink of ww3 , with a little help from his 'mistress', the then British PM, Maggie Thatcher

insulting on some many levels its untrue. Can you really see her being anyones mistress?

I think Reagan did a great job and was fundementally in the closeness of the trans-atlantic alliance.

Well , she may not have been his mistress , but she acted like it. My father and I have supported the Campaign for Nuclear disarmament for years. In the 80's there was this poster, it was a satire of the promo poster for the film 'gone with the wind'. It had Thatcher and Reagan in an embrace with a mushroom cloud behind them, with the words 'Gone with the Wind'.

So that means they were having an affair. Part from the fact I doubt she'd do that (didn't stop major and currie) he described her as a man. so its unlikely

I think this is getting to be a little much. The funeral seems like it's only making things more painful for the family b/c it's dragging everything on and on and on. Also, the huge role christianity is playing in this is kinda starting to blur church v. state.
one reporter even said, "Reagan was a man who truly married faith and policy."

wow.

Its what they do. The funeral is at a non-demonational church where all state funerals are held.

If a man was religious, and its his funeral, you talk about that. I dont care wat anyone says, this was not a political event.

By the way, the Clintons fell asleep.

the_alliance said:
wow, the burial service was so sad, esp. when nancy and the family went to the casket. i feel so bad for invading their privacy.
Yea... I saw that and I started to cry too... :( I felt sad for Nancy Reagan and her children and her step-child (I think that's what they said one of the boys was... President Reagan's first wife's son...?) It was so sad... but that sunset was gorgeous... perfectly the way Reagan would've liked it... ^_^

yeah, im on the west coast, further north in cali than the burial and it was touching cuz it was the same sun that was down there as it was up here (well, it's always the same sun, but u know what i mean?)

actually, the first son who spoke was adopted during ronald's first marriage.

the_alliance said:
(well, it's always the same sun, but u know what i mean?)
Yea... I know what you're talking about... did you get to see a big crowd of people on the road or anything? Cuz the news casters mentioned that the people were lined up on the road for a long time... or are you way farther down the coast...? :confused:

my dad and i really wished that we wouldve been able to go and pay our respects. we probably wouldve gone, had it not been finals week. he truly was a great man and leader and i am glad that everyone paid him proper respects. i thought it was very classy that most people who didn't like him were able to put that aside so they wouldnt hurt his family at this very tough time. may he rest in peace.

My mom and I were in Europe when he died, so we didn't even hear about it until we saw a tribute to him on French news (it was of course, in French, so we weren't positive about his death). We talked to my dad the next day and confirmed it, but it was really strange not being in my country when such a great leader of it had died. And there wasn't really anyone to talk about it with, so it was kind of awkward.

Anyway, I think he was a wonderful man and he did this country a lot of good. God bless him. ^_^

Back