Roush Review

From TVGuide-

Matt Roush's Review of the Finale:

Flash back to Super Bowl Sunday, when (after an unconscionable post-game delay) ABC's marvelously entertaining spy thriller Alias rewrote its own rulebook in a jaw-dropping episode of unexpected twists. SD-6 and the Alliance were eradicated, a takedown engineered by the evil Sloane, now on the loose. Sydney and Vaughn were no longer undercover and were now able to go under the covers. And in the biggest shocker, Syd's best friend Francie was murdered by a genetically altered "double," becoming the ultimate mole.

I didn't think anything could equal that audacious hour of entertainment. But then came Sunday night's breathlessly exciting and emotionally shattering two-hour cliffhanger. Once again, Alias has recklessly reinvented itself, jumping two years into the future and leaving us with so many questions it may take all of next season to answer them.

Even then, I doubt I'll understand it all. Like I care. When has utter confusion ever been this much fun?

But first, the strength of these last two back-to-back episodes. It was a terrific showcase for Bradley Cooper as Will, protesting his innocence after being framed by "evil Francie" as the genetic double. Carl Lumbly also shone as Dixon interrogated Will, his angry suspicions intensified by his grieving for his slain wife.

Later, in a scene of utter terror, Will realizes Francie's deception just as she goes in for the kill. Merrin Dungey, so underused when the nice Francie was alive, was astonishing in her lethal ruthlessness. Her expression of anguish when she stabbed Will — seemingly fatally, but apparently not so — and gave him a kiss of death was just remarkable. (How chilling for her to dump his body in the same bathtub where Syd discovered her dead fiancé in the series pilot.)

And this was just the prelude to Sydney finding out the truth about Francie. Big applause for Jennifer Garner's subdued and complex reaction as she digested the impact of Will's phone-message warning while sitting right next to her nemesis. The bone-crunching battle between Syd and evil Francie was of Buffy proportions, literally bringing the house down around them at times. When Syd finally blew holes in this fiend, I was too exhausted to cheer.

Finally, the perplexing end. Syd collapses post-fight and awakens, mystified, in Hong Kong. She makes contact with the CIA and is directed to a safe house, where Vaughn eventually arrives — wearing a wedding ring! And telling her that she was presumed dead and had been missing for nearly two years! Hello? And what's with Syd's tummy scar?

Plus, we were also left hanging regarding the whereabouts of Sloane and Irina (whose grand exit down the side of a building was spectacular), the nature of the finally assembled Rambaldi device, and the fates of Jack, Will, Dixon, even Marshall and his new NSA pal (Felicity's Amanda Foreman). What in the world happened during those two years?

It's going to be a fun summer, sorting this one out and waiting for whatever surprises J.J. Abrams has for us in the fall. I'm betting they'll be doozies.

That's a good theory... it's a definite possibility they took something, but what exactly?

And I'm glad Alias got such a good review! :D

~Me :angel2:

I'm also glad Alias got such a great review, too. I read an article in a newspaper, don't remember which newspaper, but the writer gave the episode four out of four stars. :smiley:

kiki81ny said:
(How chilling for her to dump his body in the same bathtub where Syd discovered her dead fiancé in the series pilot.)
Actually, it isn't the same bathtub...Sydney moved after Danny died. Otherwise, good review!!!

The Kate Vartan said:
I'm glad that TVGuide gave it such a great review. It really deserves it.
I love reading Roush's columns. He is a huge supporter of Alias, which is always great to read. You should check out his "Ask Matt" feature on tvguide.com...he answers viewers questions and responds to their comments every Monday. I always see Alias related stuff pop up and no doubt there will be some next week!