Russian Doll

Sydney and Vaughn had just returned from the airport. They were packing anything useful they could find in the safe house: kitchen knives, rope, bottles of water. Vaughn went up to Sydney’s room. “Almost ready?” he asked.
“Almost,” she said, loading a gun. “Vaughn, I think it was really sweet of you to help me find my sister. Thanks.”
“You’re welcome,” he said, kissing Sydney.
“I want you to know I really appreciate it. But Vaughn?”
“Yeah?”
“How the hell are we going to find her?”
Vaughn smiled to himself. He reached into the bag he was carrying and took out something that looked like a Game Boy. He handed it to Sydney. “This is a GPS tracking device.”
“Uh, I think I knew that. But how does this help us? You didn’t give her a tracking device…”
“Yes, I did, I dropped it in her bag when we got off the helicopter at the prison.”
Sydney smiled. She studied the screen of the device, which had a map of the world. A green dot was flashing to the right. “Where is this?” she asked, giving the tracking device back to Vaughn.
“I can’t tell. Hang on,” he said, pressing a button. The screen changed from a map of the world to a map of Russia. “They’re in Tula, south of Moscow.”
“That’s good; it’s not too far from here.”
“No, but it’s covered in three and a half feet of snow, and the temperature is -20 degrees. We’ll have to take the helicopter, and the closest we can land to the building is in a forest behind it.”
Sydney shrugged. “I’ll just put on warmer clothes.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Irina had taken me to the basement, where Sloane was waiting outside a door. “Hello again, Cecilia,” he said.
“Hello, Mr. Slane,” I said.
“No, dear, it’s Sloane.
“Oh, all right.”
Sloane began to open the door he was standing in front of, when Irina grabbed his arm. Sloane looked at her for a moment. “Cecilia,” Sloane began, “please wait inside while I speak with your mother for a moment.”
“Ok, Mr. Slow.” I walked into the room before I got yelled at.
I looked around. There was a scale, a counter, and an examining table. It looked just like a doctor’s office. I sat down on the examining table.

~*Meanwhile*~
“Arvin, can I please come in, to watch?” Irina begged. “I won’t be a burden, I swear.”
“Irina, you need to calm down, everything will be fine.”
“But I just want to be there to know, in case she is…the Rambaldi girl.”
Sloane shook his head. “I’m sorry Irina, but no. I promise I will tell you if anything is out of the ordinary.” He walked into the room and closed the door.
Irina watched him go, but then stood with her ear to the door, trying to find out what was going on.
~*~*~*

Sloane walked in after a few minutes. Before I could ask him about his conversation with Irina, another man walked in from a different door.
“This is Dr. Pearson,” Sloane said. The doctor nodded to me. “He will be conducting the experiment today.”
“What experiment, Mr. Slow?”
“Did I say experiment? I meant examination,” he said nervously. “He’ll just be measuring your height and weight.”
“Take off your shoes and step on the scale,” Dr. Pearson said. After fiddling with the scale for a moment, he wrote something down on a pad of paper. He showed it to Sloane.
“Hmm, I see...” Sloane said. “Bill, go ahead with the full examination. But before I leave, may I ask you a personal question, Cecilia?”
My eyes narrowed. “No.”
“ Fine.” He took the paper and turned to leave.
“Oh, Mr. Slow?” I asked.
“What?”
“What was my mother saying to you earlier?”
Sloane fixed me with a menacing stare. He turned on his heel and left. Dr. Pearson checked my ears, eyes, and throat.
“Everything seems to be in order. You’re in good health, Miss Derevko. You may go.”
I slid off the table and went back to my room, not noticing that Irina was standing behind the door of the office.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sloane came bursting through the door to Irina’s office. Irina had just sat down behind her desk, pretending as though she had been there the whole time he was gone. He waved the pad of paper in her face.
“This is it! It’s genius, Irina! I can’t thank you enough!” Sloane exclaimed. He kissed Irina on the cheek. Irina felt her face grow hot. There was an awkward silence.
“What’s genius, Mr. Sloane?” Irina asked, breaking the silence.
He put the pad of paper on her desk. “Do you see? These are Cecilia’s measurements, the same figures Rambaldi predicted!”
Irina read the note:

Height: 5’5”
Weight: 110

Irina looked up at Sloane. “So what are you going to do now?” she asked, almost hesitantly.
“We run tests. She will have to take a lie detector test. And we’ll have to take her to Mt. Subasio in Italy.”
Sloane’s beeper went off. “I have to go. We’ll talk later,” he said, leaving the office.
Irina waited until she heard Sloane go up the stairs. She took her journal from the desk. She took a bag from under her bed, which held clothes and all the weapons she had taken from Cecilia. We will not talk later, Irina thought, because we won’t be here. She took her things and went to her daughter’s room.

Go Irina! I hope they try and escape from Sloane . . . if Cecilia is the Rambaldi girl then it would be better if the CIA and not Sloane have her in custody. Thanks for the PM.

~Chapter 9~

It was almost the same dream I had had at the safe house. I was walking through the same valley, with the same skeletons lying all over. Irina was standing in front of me. I tried to walk to her. A red-hot pain seared through my side. I stepped closer, but the pain only got worse. I looked down at my side. Blood was staining my shirt. I glanced up, and Sloane was standing behind me, gun in hand. I fell to the ground. Sloane walked past me and to Irina. Her face was expressionless. I tried to crawl towards them. But something was pulling me in the other direction. I fought against it, but the pain I felt was too great, and stopped me. I let myself be dragged backwards, and suddenly everything went black…

I opened my eyes. I was still in Sloane’s house, or warehouse, or whatever it was. Irina was pulling my arm. “What?” I said. It was still dark outside my window.
“Get up, we’re leaving,” she said, loosening her grip on my arm.
“Why?”
“Don’t ask questions, just do as I say. Now change into some kind of dark clothes.” She was dressed in a long-sleeved black shirt, cargo pants, and heavy duty boots.
“I don’t have any, remember? You took my clothes!”
“Oh. Well, that’s not a problem.” She rummaged through her bag. “Here,” she said, thrusting black jeans and a green shirt into my hand. “Your shoes are in the closet. Go. Now. Hurry.”
I changed in the closet. I came out, and Irina was already standing by the door.
“Aren’t you forgetting something?” she asked.
“Uhh…”
“Your bag? In the closet?”
“Useless. You should know, you took everything.”
She sighed in frustration. “Get the damn bag.”
I got it from the closet. She handed me two daggers and five cartridges of ammunition. I took out a handgun and loaded it. She led me out of my room and to the basement. We walked around until we found the exit. Sloane and three guards were standing in front of it. “Going somewhere?” he asked.
Irina glanced back at me. She rushed at Sloane, and I shot the three guards beside him. In a millisecond Sloane was on the floor, writhing in pain.
“Guards…guards…” he called with what little breath hadn’t been knocked out of him. Then I heard footsteps behind us.
Irina and I ran out the door. There was a forest behind the building. We ran for it. We could hear Sloane’s men shouting behind us. We ran and ran, until we were in the heart of the forest. Irina listened carefully.
“I…can’t hear…them,” she said, panting. “Let’s rest, for a moment, and then we’ll have to start running again.”
I nodded. We sat behind a large tree. “Why did we have to leave?” I said.
“Sloane was going to run tests on you…he thinks you fulfill the Rambaldi prophecy.”
“The WHAT?”
Irina shook her head. “I’ll tell you later...if we get out of here.”
I helped Irina up. We got back on the path, ready to run. Something was standing in front of us. Irina put her hand on my shoulder.
“Mr. Vaughn…Sydney…how nice to see you.”
“You’re so full of it,” Vaughn said, pointing his gun at Irina.
“What’re you doing?” Sydney demanded.
“We’re running from Sloane!” Irina said desperately. From the looks on their faces, I could tell Sydney and Vaughn didn’t believe her.
“Sure you are,” Vaughn said.
“Vaughn, she’s not lying!” I said. “We had to run, he was going to-”
“And you’ve brainwashed your daughter. It’s pathetic,” he spat.
He shot Irina in the abdomen.
“WHAT THE HELL, VAUGHN!” I exploded, kneeling by Irina. “SHE WAS TELLING THE TRUTH!!”
“No, she-”
“YES, SHE WAS, YOU IDIOT! WE HAD TO RUN FROM SLOANE BECAUSE HE THOUGHT I WAS IN SOME DAMN PROPHECY!”
Sydney and Vaughn stared at me. I felt tears sting my eyes. “And now you’ve gone and killed her. Mom, can you hear me?” I asked. She slowly moved her head, but after that, remained still.
I looked up at Sydney, tears trickling down my face. “Now what do we do?” I said, in a barely audible whisper. I could tell she was shocked, but she shook her head.
“Vaughn, carry her to the helicopter. It’s your fault. Give Cecilia your gun.” He hesitated a moment, but handed the gun to me. He gently picked Irina up off the forest floor, and stood himself. Sydney led us through the trees. I hung back.
“One false move and I swear I’ll kill you,” I said to Vaughn, and walked quickly to catch up to Sydney. I wiped my face with the back of my hand.
We walked silently through the forest, until we reached a helicopter. Sydney got in first, and then Vaughn put Irina in the seat. I climbed in and Vaughn got in the pilot’s seat. I stared at Irina. Sydney took out a cell phone and handed it to me. “Can you call the local hospital and tell them we’re bringing Mom in? I would do it myself, but I only know understand some Russian…”
I gladly took her phone. I called the local hospital.
“Hello?” the receptionist answered in Russian.
“My mother has a gunshot wound. I’m bringing her in now.”
“Alright, do you know where we are located?”
“Um, no.”
The receptionist gave me directions, which I relayed to Vaughn. I thanked her in Russian and hung up.
There were three nurses standing on the roof. They took Irina out of the helicopter and placed her on a gurney. Two of the nurses wheeled her out a door and down a ramp. The last nurse led Sydney, Vaughn, and me to the reception desk. The receptionist handed Sydney papers that she had to fill out. She got through most of it without a problem. She handed the clipboard back to the receptionist. I saw the receptionist tell her something. Sydney called me over. “What is she saying?” Sydney asked. I turned to the receptionist.
“I’m sorry, my sister doesn’t understand Russian. What did you say?”
“I asked if she knew what kind of insurance her mother had.”
I glanced at Sydney. “She’s asking if you know what kind of insurance Mom has.”
Sydney made a surprised face and shook her head.
“She doesn’t know.”
“Do you?”
I shook my head. The receptionist sighed. “Well, we’ll find out. Have a seat.”
Vaughn was outside on his cell phone. We sat down. A doctor walked over to us. Sydney stood. “My name is Dr. Ivanov,” he said in a thick Russian accent and shook Sydney’s hand.
“How is my mother, doctor? Is she going to be okay?”
Dr. Ivanov nodded. “Yes, she is fine; she just underwent surgery to remove the bullet. She was just waking up when I left. She’ll be ready to leave in a few days. You can see her, if you like. She’s down the hall in room 110.”
I walked quickly down the hall, while Sydney thanked the doctor. A nurse came out of Irina’s room. “She wants to see Cecilia,” the female nurse said. “Is that you?”
I nodded. She opened the door. The nurse closed the door behind me. It was a plain room, with bare white walls. A television was suspended to the wall. I walked to the bed where Irina lay. Her eyes were closed. I pulled a chair up and sat down. I took Irina’s hand in my own. She opened her eyes slowly. “Hi,” she said. I smiled.
“Hi.”
“What happened?”
“Vaughn was…well, he went a little crazy.”
Irina nodded slowly. “Cecilia, get comfortable. I am going to tell you everything."
“Mom, really, it can wait, at least until we get home-”
Irina shook her head. “I want to tell you now. You’ve waited too long already.”
She took a deep breath. “When you were seven, I had to leave you, as you know. I had to leave the SVR, because of a horrible man who had come. His name was Dmitri Bolsevik. He was upset that I was the Assistant Director. He thought women were not worthy of the position. And he found out about my involvement with the Black Market. So he tried to kill me. I fled to the United States, and ran my syndicate from there.
“Then, last year, I was in Taipei. I was going to meet with Alexander Khasinau. Sydney was there and Khasinau captured her. I told him I would take care of her. So I shot her, while he was watching. I had no other choice. Then I turned myself into the CIA. I was there for a while, and I was helping them.
“But I was looking for something more. A man, Milo Rambaldi, was a 15th century seer. I was searching for his work. He left artifacts scattered across the world. I had some, as did Sloane. So we combined our efforts. He had a team assemble all the artifacts. It turned out to make up a machine, and he was looking for someone to try it on. He wanted Sydney. So the CIA went looking for me at the prison in Moscow.
“I had intended to find Sydney there. If I had, I would have pretended she wasn’t there, and she would have been safe. But it was you. You walked right into the room where I was hiding. Sloane knew someone else was there with me, because he had a tracking device on me. I had to bring you back. And I’ve been trying to get you out of there ever since.”
I was staring at her with wide eyes, my hand over my mouth.
“The sooner we can leave this hospital, the better," she said. "I’m sure Sloane will be looking for us.”
“Can I ask you two questions? First, am I really connected to Rambaldi?”
“No. I don’t know who it is, but it’s not you.”
“Okay. And second, can you tell me who my father is?”
Irina considered that a moment. “Not yet. I’ll tell you when you’re older.”
I nodded. “I’m going to let you rest now. But I’ll be here, if you need me. The doctor said you can leave in a few days.”
She smiled. I left, closing the door behind me.
THE END

What did you think?
I'll probably post the sequel too, in a few days, if anyone is interested. ^_^

LIZ?!?!?!?!?!?! That was so short but so good!!!! OMG.......... Irina REALLY does love Cecilia. She really does...... I NEED A SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um...... Liz. Just to let you know Syd does know Russian. She spoke it in an episode. The one where she dressed up as a person in the Russian military or something like that.

Except for the part when Sydney didn't understand Russian, the chapter was wonderful. I think it was your best chapter in this story overall! Good job! I can't wait to read the sequel to this story.

Starts chanting:

"Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!"

Over and over again!

This story is great. There are some minor thecnicalities, but hey! Thats okay, we're human!

Please continue, this is GREAT!!!

Thanks everyone... :blush:

I know, I know, it was REALLY short, but hopefully the next one will be longer...

Oh about Sydney not speaking Russian...don't really know where that one came from...I know she speaks Russian, so...I don't know. :o_O:

The sequel will probably be up next week if I can think of a title!! ^_^

Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! (Stands up and gets crowd to cheer)
Sorry I haven't read for a while, I was in sunny Florida. It was great.

Back