Russia's Space Program Could Crush the U.S. Over the Next Decade [Space Program]

Robby

Helper Bot
Russia's Space Program Could Crush the U.S. Over the Next Decade [Space Program]

Soyuz_TMA-7.jpg
When NASA retires its three space shuttles in 2010, US astronauts will have to rely on the Russian space program to gain entry to space and the International Space Station. Until 2015, when the Constellation program is scheduled to begin launching the Orion spacecraft, the US plans to purchase seats on the Russian Soyuz craft. Now some NASA officials are warning that America's presence in space could be hindered further by US-Russian tensions and the emerging Chinese program.

In 2004, the Bush administration introduced its “vision for space exploration,” which includes retiring NASA’s existing shuttle fleet and introducing Constellation, a new launching program using an updated capsule and rocket system. However, the administration, not wanting to inflate NASA’s budget, decided that manned space missions would go on a five-year hiatus, and that American astronauts should instead fly on Russian spacecraft.

But the recent political tensions between the US and Russia have complicated this plan. Although NASA does not doubt Russia’s commitment to transporting US astronauts, the US’s commitment to manned spaceflight will be greatly tested if relations with Russia continue to deteriorate. Following Russia’s military action in Georgia, Congress was stalled the bill to approve NASA’s purchase of seats on Russian spacecraft beyond 2011. The approval for the purchase of seats through 2016 did ultimately pass, but the incident prompted NASA administrator Michael D. Griffin to speak out against the current policy, which he called "unseemly in the extreme":

In an e-mail message he sent to his top advisers in August, Dr. Griffin wrote that “events have unfolded in a way that makes it clear how unwise it was for the U.S. to adopt a policy of deliberate dependence on another power.”

Griffin further suggests that the gap poses an unnecessary risk to the US space program:

“In a rational world, we would have been allowed to pick a shuttle retirement date to be consistent with Ares/Orion availability,” Dr. Griffin wrote. Within the administration, he wrote, “retiring the shuttle is a jihad rather than an engineering and program management decision.”

Griffin fears the consequences of any delay in the Constellation program, which comes at a time when China’s space program is rapidly advancing. Even if the current plans go according to schedule, the US will not return to the moon until 2020. Proponents fear that by then, the US will already be behind the curve.

One Way Up: U.S. Space Plan Relies on Russia [NY Times]

tracker.php

(Via io9)

Crush the U.S.? Give me a break. That's as silly as when Krushchev supposedly said "We will bury you" (he actually said an old, folksy Russian cliche', "We will be present at your funeral!" i.e. "We will outlast you." Still mean, but nonetheless a very poor Russian-to-English translation.

The Russian space program doesn't receive much money from Moscow, even though the Kremlin thugs and their "approved" oligarchs are awash in petro dollars. Their space program depends very much on U.S. dollars paid for its services. I suspect with the global economic crisis that this situation will continue and become even more critical. The Russian stock market has had to be closed again and again in recent days because of the sell-off runs on their stocks, especially bank stocks. The Russian space program won't crush anything. They need the bucks.

P.S. Beautiful pic. Photoshopped?

Well, according to Putin the current economic depression is also "the end of the US" as a super-power.

As you said, the Russian space program depends upon the dollars of others. Right now its cash cow seems to be 'space tourists' willing to spend small fortunes and are standing in line.

The pic appears to be a chop, or rather, the vivid colors and background appears to be chopped. I found this image...

http://www.spacepictures.org/displayimage-19-4.html

... which I would think is truer to the actual pic.

I do find it somewhat hard to legitimately argue in favor of continuing the US space program. What are the top three arguments in favor of further funding?

Back