Season 4 S/V relationship - or lack there of

I just saw Detente, and throughout the entire ep, i was expecting some S/V coz there had been NONE!! I was thinking that surely there had to be some sometime, but there wasn't! I loved the episode, but there was a very distinct lack of S/V, which is disappointing, coz that is like one of the main reasons i watch the show!! Hopefully once they sort out the order of episodes there will be some consistency to their reltaionship!! At the moment, its really jumpy, which ia annoying, coz we never seem to know where they stand with each other!

They're taking it slow, but i think this is TOO slow!! All the episodes screened so far, excluding APO and WtLV, have had very little s/v, taking it slow, or taking their relationship anywhere, which sucks, to tell the truth!!

However, the song they used at the end of the ep, was the same song they used in s2 when syd was in the bath and vaughn was sitting with her! In firebomb, so that reminded me of the S/V of old! Which i spose is better than nothing!

:eek: I would not worry to much about the S/V ship at this time.
Why because Vaughn is about to go through a little hell in regards to
his high veiw of his daddy. So !! I really do not see Syd letting him go
through that alone. He was there for her when some of Irina/ Jack's little secrets
came out. She will do the same thing for him. If she loves him she may try really
hard not to let him go off the deep end.

gucci_94 said:
However, the song they used at the end of the ep, was the same song they used in s2 when syd was in the bath and vaughn was sitting with her! In firebomb, so that reminded me of the S/V of old! Which i spose is better than nothing!
[post="1222271"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I thought the song sounded awfully familiar...I just couldn't put my finger on where I had heard it before. Now my insane curiousity has ended, lol.

To say that I wasn't disappointed by the lack of S/V interaction in Detente would be a lie. But what I'm more disappointed about is the lack of resolution and dealing with all the drama in season 3. Its still early in the season so I'm not being too anal about the situation.

Considering this episode was focusing on Sydney's (lack of) relationship with Sloane, I wasn't too miffed at the absence of S/V (especially with all the hints pointing towards a possible mutiny). It seems like the imbalanced display of S/V interaction is attributed to the rearrangement of episodes...

Personally, I would prefer to see the dramatization of Sydney and Vaughn accepting the past, making amends and moving on than having temporary fluff moments on the side when both know things need to be resolved (especially from Vaughn's side).

MY GOSH YOU GUYS ARE UNBELIEVEABLE!!! :angry: For the fu*k*ing 3 full season the SV shipping has been hogging the lime light. Let some room for wadia to come in. Personally, SV SUCKS! they are better off NOT be together. If they are so lovey dovey for each other, GET HITCHED!!! But.... NO! S/L is forever! S/V is SO yesterday and so DEAD! GET OFF! :angry:

jess said:
Personally, I would prefer to see the dramatization of Sydney and Vaughn accepting the past, making amends and moving on than having temporary fluff moments on the side when both know things need to be resolved (especially from Vaughn's side).
[post="1223932"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
My thoughts exactly, couldn't have said it better myself!

lomarambor said:
MY GOSH YOU GUYS ARE UNBELIEVEABLE!!!  :angry: For the fu*k*ing 3 full season the SV shipping has been hogging the lime light. Let some room for wadia to come in. Personally, SV SUCKS! they are better off NOT be together. If they are so lovey dovey for each other, GET HITCHED!!! But.... NO! S/L is forever! S/V is SO yesterday and so DEAD! GET OFF! :angry:
[post="1223938"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Your entitled to your opinion, but the Sydney/Vaughn relationship is a dynamic of the show that has existed throughout all Alias seasons, 1-4! There is no way they could just not be together, that just wouldn't make sense!

By S/L, do you mean Sark/Lauren? Coz they are so not forever, she's dead!

lomarambor said:
MY GOSH YOU GUYS ARE UNBELIEVEABLE!!!  :angry: For the fu*k*ing 3 full season the SV shipping has been hogging the lime light. Let some room for wadia to come in. Personally, SV SUCKS! they are better off NOT be together. If they are so lovey dovey for each other, GET HITCHED!!! But.... NO! S/L is forever! S/V is SO yesterday and so DEAD! GET OFF! :angry:
I respect your opinion and the fact that you dislike S/V. I hope you can respect my opinion (and other S/V shippers' opinion) and the fact that I (we) support S/V.

Personally, I don't feel Wadia...never have. But that's just me. I prefer seeing Nadia struggle to juggle and maintain a relationship with both Sloane and Sydney (as shown in Detente). To me, the main reason why there's more focus on S/V is because Sydney (especially) and Vaughn are focal characters to the show (not that Nadia isn't but she is new to the show and personally I think exploration of her character would be more exciting than her flirting).

As gucci_94 noted, S/V is a dynamic relationship which has experienced the highest high and the lowest low throughout the whole series. I don't want S/V to be the focus of the show because that's not what Alias is all about, but it compliments all the other reasons why I enjoy the show.

I saw Detente too and yes, it totally lacked S/V. Not that ALIAS is all about S/V, it isn't, but I really miss them. In the show. ALOT. From their longing looks at each other to being with each other, from supporting each other to losing each other, this season has really yet to show the old S/V back in S1, S2 even S3. Even in S3, we were still able to see how Vaughn struggled in his marriage, coz he was so not over Syd, and how he would help her even though he's married. And Syd wanting so much to be with Vaughn. Now, here we are in S4 when Lauren's dead but there is a serious lack of old S/V loving! I know there're issues to be dealt with, but love overcomes everything, doesn't it??

I think the reason the episode lacked S/V is not so much because they were downplaying the relationship it's because when it was filmed, that was the week MV was doing the Gap Campaign. He was in NYC and they only had him on set for only a short time. They had to work around his Gap schedule like they had to work around JG's schedule when she did SNL two years ago.

Chris

lomarambor said:

Whoa...of course you're entitled to your opinion, and it appears to be a strong one, but we're entitled to ours too. And if you were in our shoes you would understand how upset we are. Seasons 1 and 2 were filled with wonderful SV moments, season 3 wasn't so much, but there was still something there. Now they finally have the oppertunity to be together again, and not much as happened. It's frustrating for all of us SV shippers to go through an entire episode and not have their relationship acknowledged.

And letting 'some room for Wadia to come in', I think they've had plenty of room. With the exception of WTLV there have been some Wadia moments in practically every episode, and considering this is a brand new relationship I think it's progressing quite nicely. I personally have nothing against Wadia...I'm not a huge fan of Nadia, but I do think Weiss deserves some action. But I think SV is an important part of the show and needs to have more time focused on it.

I can't believe that so many people are upset about how the s/v stuff hasnt been so apparent, we all know that they are in love and everything, can't we just keep it at that? I agree with lomarambor that s/v relationship has taken up too much of the spotlight, especially with what happened in s3. Everyone flipped when Lauren got introduced, can't we have a break from this love triangle thing? Even though Lauren is dead, she's still there to complicate the relationship and I'm glad for the lack of s/v in Detente. The story is what made the episode that interesting. Besides the entire time syd was pissed off at sloane so I don't think that there was much room for her and vaughn to have the 'moment' that the shippers want, it wouldn't have fit.

Personally I'm more interested in the Wadia relationship because they seem to at least enjoy being together, unlike the stoic s/v dialogue.

Of course we know that they love each other...we just want them to show it! I don't think the main point is the lack of SV in Detente, but the lack of it in the season so far as a whole, and the problems with the consistancy in the episodes.

When you give a bunch of SV shippers like us an episode like WTLV then of course we're going to want more, more, MORE! We were all expecting a jump in their relationship after that episode, but haven't gotten one. That's where I think our main disappointment is coming from...especially after last season when they weren't able to be together.

And as for Wadia, not a huge fan...I do think Weiss deserves somebody...but I don't like Nadia, and I think their relationship seems way too forced and doesn't add anything to the storyline.

Jamison said:
Of course we know that they love each other...we just want them to show it!
[post="1226366"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Exactly. Its more effective when its dramatized rather than having the characters tell us about the unresolved issues, or worst, nothing happening at all.

filmlover said:
I for one want to see more Jack/Sydney interaction.
[post="1226723"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
You're not alone. There hasn't been much dialogue between the two since the premiere.

I can't believe there are actually people who missed the S/V, for the past episodes, this season and the previous it has been S/V this S/V that. THis entire Season has been S/V relationship, S/V missions, S/V at her house. Time out! I'm so glad this eppie didn't have the S/V I for one have been seeing up against every eppie this season. Yawn keeps saying things like that Syd is too sfraid, or whatever. it's lawys Syd who's wrong according to him i nthe relationship. Syd should accept he's moved on with Lauren, Syd has to just deal that he kisses her and then goes back to his wife. Syd has no right ot sleep with Will while he probably slept with his wife every night during S3, well except the ending and the tiems he was on a mission but that'S beside the point. I've had it with boring Yawn and all the S/V felgercarb.

The show is losing a million viewers a week, most of those (I dare not say all but suspect so) have stopped watching the show because of the boring S/V ness in it. If you want that much drama angst and stuff like that go watch Passions or Days of our lives or another soap! Alias isn't a soap show it's supposed to be more then just drama, this eppie was for once not focussed on the S/V relationship and I for one really really liked that.

Oh and Iwant to see more Jack/Syd interaction too, filmlover and Jess.

SydBristow13 said:
The show is losing a million viewers a week, most of those (I dare not say all but suspect so) have stopped watching the show because of the boring S/V ness in it.
[post="1227089"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Really where did you get this info from? I'd be interested in reading it.

Sheesh! Is it necessary to turn this thread into another excuse to have at Vaughn and the people who like Syd and Vaughn together? Does it really matter to anyone else why others watch "Alias"? Does it impede others enjoyment of the show if I watch to see Marshall's gadget explanations, or Sloane doing his thing, or if I like to see the Syd and Vaughn moments? They don't have to dominate the show but I like it when they share a touch, a secret smile, sustained eye contact.

As for the huge assumption Syd and Vaughn are turning fans away by the millions, that is impossible to know. Surely the repetitive nature of the stand alones, weapon of the week, interchangeable bad guys and lack of story arc have something to do with the fall off in the ratings? And of course we might want to think about that juggernaut called "American Idol"? That may have something to do with the decline. Besides, even with the recent slip, "Alias" is still up in the ratings over previous years.

Anyway, let's hope things kick into high gear for all the characters soon. Apparently it's an odd concept but I actually like all the characters and their relationships.

Yes Avery I agree we lost a bunch when AI came back but This season is still way up compared to any other in the ratings. Maybe enough so..that we might not have to worry about getting a season 5? :fingers crossed:

Yes, GoodVsEvil, according to Robert Bianco the TV Critic for USA TODAY, things look promising for a possible fifth season.
Here is a question from his chat.
Philadelphia,PA: Maybe it's too soon to ask this question but, do you think Alias will be renewed for next season? It seems to be doing well considering it's up against American Idol. I'm very glad to see they are giving Vaughn more to do this season - Ice was my favorite episode so far.

Robert Bianco: You're right, it is too soon - but I'd say the early answer is "yes." The ratings for 'Alias' are still way up over last year, even with 'Idol' in the mix. And it won't hurt that 'Alias' comes from the same producer as 'Lost': All things being equal, network's prefer to keep their most successful producers happy. So I think 'Alias' is safe. Now if I were a fan of 'West Wing,' on the other hand, I'd start worrying about whether NBC was reconsidering the plan to bring it back with a new cast next season. Those ratings are dropping like a stone.

Topic: I like Sydney and Vaughn together and prefer it when they have a "moment" however brief because that relationship reveals a different side to Sydney. Let's hope ABC is finished rearranging the episodes and the developments in the ship will be more natural.

Back