Saga of Rhyzom, reprise

I've heard about this game back when it was filing for its Chapter 11, and I've recently decided to give it another look. Honestly? I'm really loving it. I've always been more a crafter than anything, and it's a very craft/resource heavy game. Everything is harvestable, everything you can take off something is a resource for someone else to make into yet something further. Very inter-dependent. Also, the game itself - the world, the characters, everything - is quite unique. It's unnerving to see creatures just come up and sniff you curiously - in other games, everything is either agro or indifferent, so it's rather funny. The animals themselves range from the cute to utterly bizarre. The scenery even on the island is fascinating. Huge learning curve, I'll admit, as so many things are quite different from anything I've played before, but ask in regionchat and people will always reply.

Now, there's something called Ring - an addon to the original game (which is also free). To me, it sounds rather like Neverwinter Nights or the Morrowind addons - in which you can create your own scenarios (I could be wrong as I don't quite understand it yet). You'd think this would just turn into a "summon huge mobs and zerg zerg zerg" but there's a lot of roleplayability in this, and the community is very big on that.

Community itself? Very good; mostly people leaving WoW, EQ2, other games of the sort who want to slow down. Due to Rhyzom being so different from other games, the usual questions people ask (what's pvp and raiding like) is usually greeted with hoots of laughter. It's a "grindfest"? Well that depends. Are you trying to level quickly to some mecca of high end content and loot? You'll be disappointed. It encourages you to slow down and take your time. May not be the most highly populated of games, but I'm not looking to be surrounded with thousands of people either all text-chatting in /say or saying nothing whatsoever because they don't talk out of /guildchat.

I'd give it a look if you're tired of the usual game - considering the trial is free, you can't really go wrong - other game trials you can finish in hours, but it's been three days and I'm nowhere near done, there's so much to do! Give it a go.

Ryzom - Free to Play Open-Source MMORPG | Windows, Mac & Linux

I actually tried dowloading the trial about a week ago, but it didn't work, something aboyt missing a cab11 file... I tried downloading it from other sites, but the same problem occured, so I gave up.

This game is actually not bad. The graphics are really good for the games out now. Community is one of the best I've seen in almost any larger scale game out there.

Now the ring its good and bad its really designed to get the community involved and some of the mods may actually make it into the game in part or full. Now I haven't played it with the ring yet but as I understood when it was released is that the player hosted the mod and players could play on it, its not hosted on the server.

This true or not, 1/2 way thought about playing the game again so we'll see.

WatchMaker said:
There is an artical about this game in my latest issue of MASSIVE if you want me to post it up.

Go for it, mate, I think I'll be going for the full game purchase once I've done most of the trial - which should be about another week or so of play to be honest.

Trillian said:
Go for it, mate, I think I'll be going for the full game purchase once I've done most of the trial - which should be about another week or so of play to be honest.

Same DL it today and am enjoying it once again.

Back