Superheroes Samaritan (2022)

Tom

An Old Friend
Title: Samaritan (2022)

Genre: Action, Thriller, Crime, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Director: Julius Avery

Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Javon 'Wanna' Walton, Martin Starr, Pilou Asbæk, Dascha Polanco, Moisés Arias, Jared Odrick, Michael Aaron Milligan, Natacha Karam, Nicholas Logan, Brice Anthony Heller, Shariff Earp

Release: 2022-08-24

Plot: A young boy sets out to discover whether a mythic superhero, who vanished 20 years earlier following a tragic event, is still alive.
Samaritan (2022)

OK, I watch a *lot* of movies, to the point where I see most surprise "twists" coming and is something that my wife hates when I mention the foreshadowing elements after we watch a movie. This one caught me off guard. I think because it combines old school 80's style action-hero movie story telling with some current style dark & gritty cinematography, in glorious 4K HDR with surround sound 😁, I allowed myself to just sit back and not pay attention to the clues. Plus there's the fact that it's Stallone as the leading role so it'd be easy to assume that the twist wouldn't apply to his character.

Yes, it'd be easy to call this one 'formulaic'. That still doesn't stop it from being a decent action movie. (y)

Is this the 'Samaritan' from the Astro City series? Good character, but pretty much just a thinly disguised Superman (from another planet, superstrong, could fly, his 'job' was news reporter...). his love interest, Winged Victory, was just Wonder Woman in a different costume.

Attachments

• zzSamaritan.jpg
    zzSamaritan.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 60
Before I saw this I had no idea this comic existed.
That being said, I found it watchable but I kept thinking it will be a lil difficult for this film to start a new franchise. Its a common problem with many comic book films and game films.
They leave the story as a 'closed' story.
Granted, I am unfamiliar with this superhero and its lore.
I didn't pay a lot of attention to its ending or its intent, kinda watched it as a stand alone superhero film.
I figure its a one and done like so many others.
I don't expect Sylvester Stallone to continue as Samaratin just like I don't expect Bruce Willis to reprise his role as David Dunn or James McAvoy to once again be Dennis or Samuel L Jackson to once again be Elijah Price.
The Unbreakable/Split/Glass lore might continue just like the Samaratin Lore but I highly doubt we will see those faces in those roles. Additional movies will not have the foundation needed to support a named franchise. The only option is a hard reboot or prequels using 'other' actors in the roles.

Its a case of the studios using known stars to make money, otherwise theyt would have cast those parts with younger people.

Is this the 'Samaritan' from the Astro City series?
I'm not familiar with that series but, based on the movie, I'd have to say they're not related as the premises are different. Poking around, the script was written first and was adapted to graphic novels by Mythos Comics and then came full circle to being actually made as a movie.