Politics Same-sex Marriages (¡DOS!)

As I said earlier Fred Phelps was on the episode of "30 Days" and Morgan Spurlock did interview him. All he basically said was that everyone needed to open up the bible :rolleyes: I'll never understand a person who spends their time and energy spreading such hate and intolerance, especially to young children who are so impressionable. I mean, I cried when I saw a six year old boy handing out those hateful signs.

You can discuss same-sex marriage--*gas, shock* that's actually the title of this thread.
I will not have the thread become a flame war over America because of one article.

The UCC or the United Church of Chirst's commercial showing various minorities (Asians, physically, homosexuals, Latinos etc..) being turned away at a regular church was actually turned down by certain networks like ABC. Oddly enough, the commercial airs on their sister channel ABC family :lol:

sugababyboo said:
The UCC or the United Church of Chirst's commercial showing various minorities (Asians, physically, homosexuals, Latinos etc..)  being turned away at a regular church was actually turned down by certain networks like ABC.  Oddly enough, the commercial airs on their sister channel ABC family :lol:
[post="1414104"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

was the commercial demonising these people or was it showing that they will have a place in the UCC church?

Sex-Dwarf said:
was the commercial demonising these people or was it showing that they will have a place in the UCC church?
[post="1414161"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Well the first part is what I posted above and then a voice over comes on and says something along the lines of "Jesus never turned anyone away" Then it shows everyone who was turned away earlier in the UCC church smiling the voice over goes on to say "The UCC accepts everyone from every walk of life" I'll try to find a video of it!

I need to edit myself! The voice over didn't say the jesus line it was in text. THe voice says "No matter who you are or where you are on life's journey you're welcomed here" Here's a Link to their site that has the ads. It's the "Bouncer" ad. Just click on whatever media player you use and watch it!

ETA:
I got this article from americablog via 365gay.com

Thought Toddler Gay, Dad Kills Son 
by Fidel Ortega 365Gay.com Miami Bureau

Posted: July 14, 2005  12:01 am ET

(Tampa, Florida) A 21 year old Tampa man is charged with murder after his 3-year old son was pummeled into unconsciousness and then died.

Ronnie Paris Jr. went on trial for his own life this week in a Tampa courtroom.  The toddler's mother, Nysheerah Paris, testified that her husband thought the boy might be gay and would force him to box. 

Nysheerah Paris told the court that Paris would make the boy fight with him, slapping the child in the head until he cried or wet himself. She said that on one occasion Paris slammed the child against a wall because he was vomiting.

The court was told there had been a history of abuse by Paris. Prosecutor Jalal Harb said that in 2002, the Florida Department of Children & Families placed the child in protective custody after he had been admitted to the hospital several times for vomiting.

He was returned to his parents Dec. 14. A month later he went into a coma and was rushed to hospital.  Six days later he was removed from life support and died.  An autopsy showed there was swelling on both sides of his brain.

"He was trying to teach him how to fight,'' Nysheerah Paris' sister, Shanita Powell told the court. "He was concerned that the child might be gay.''

Following the child's death Tampa police Detective Anthony Zambito thought there was something suspicious. He testified that he questioned both parents closely at the hospital. But it wasn't until investigators questioned them separately Feb. 1 that the boy's mother talked about the abuse.

Paris was charged with capital murder and Nysheerah Paris was charged with felony child neglect and faces a maximum of 15 years in prison.

©365Gay.com 2005

It scares and saddens me how powerful hate is. How can someone call him or herself a parents yet abuse and murder their child? Yet, the groups that I have mentioned above do tell parents to either send their kids to straight camps or disown them simply because of their sexual oreientation.

The boy was only THREE YEARS OLD for gawd sakes. 🇳🇴 :cry:

WTF? what kind of father is he to kill his own son, and for him to believe that he was gay at the age of 3??? what would that little boy do for him to think such things???

I think most parents do think that way ... there are a lot of reasons ... but if the love is there, there is no way they would hurt their child ... ;)

I know a lot of parents here in Aruba who have gone to extreme to try and "change" their gay son/daughter ... but haven't ... beating them, shoving them out of the house ... and all sort of things ... but all have stayed the same "gay" as they were before ...

im knew here, my first post, probably a good choice beacause i feel pretty strongly about this

firstly, death is too good for that guy. what sort of moron thinks there kid is gay at the age of 3??? it sounds to me like the dad was probably in denial about being gay himself

secondly, i few weeks ago i ran across (by accident) the website of the Wesboro Baptist Church (its mentioned above, www.godhates***s.com,) and the phrase "anti-gay" is an understatement
but they don't stop with gays, if anything bad happens, they write an article "praise god for xxxxx"
and the reason for it?
god is all powerful, everything that happens is god's work, god's work must be praised
therefore, lets all thank god for 9/11, london etc etc
this is also, apparently, why their signs say "praise god for aids" - NOT because they're all idiots and think only gay people get aids, so it must be punishment from god

and quoting the press release suga mentions "Thank God for the bombing of London's subway today - July 7, 2005 - wherein dozens were killed and hundreds seriously injured. Wish it was many more."
i think that says it all

sorry for going on but i really do hate these guys

Me too hun! What still baffles me is Fred Phelps was a civil rights lawyer! He used to fight against discrimination, hate and intolerance but now he's promoting it and passing it onto his grandchildren! I'm sorry if this offends anyone but in my eyes he is almost like a terrorist in the way that he is passing on his warped and hateful beliefs to his family, friends and some strangers to ensure that his message of hate and ignorance will live on long after he is gone.

i know what you mean. ive just had exams on all the civil rights and i saw that web site and thought "topeka, now where have i heard that before???"
its crazy them targeting children though, on the site virtually every picture has a little kid holding up a sign, its disgusting.

It's disgusting, sad and difficult to see. He's an influential person and yet he's using his power, his words and his energy for evil.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there was a person named Pedro Zamora who was the total opposite of Fred Phelps. For you young folks on here MTV's Real world USED to be a very great show that dealed with serious social issues like sex, violence, racism, homphobia and alcoholism along w/ many other issue facing today's youth. Of course, this all happened in the first couple of years of the show.

In the third season Pedro was a cast member and thank god he was. Him being on the show was ground breaking because he was a Cuban immigrant, homosexual, living with HIV/AIDS and he was an educator. He dedicated his life to informing America's youth about safe sex, HIV/AIDS and his life. Also he had a relationship on the show as well and the couple had a committment ceremony too. Because of the show he reached a lot of people and made the world a better place when he left it. Here's his biography couresty of wikipedia

Pedro_Zamora.jpg

Pedro Zamora (February 29, 1972 - November 11, 1994) was born in Havana, Cuba and came to the United States in 1980 with the Mariel boatlift and resided most of his life in Miami, Florida. Zamora was an "out" (openly gay) HIV-positive AIDS activist who joined the cast of MTV's The Real World: San Francisco to help increase awareness of AIDS and safer sex practices. Zamora was very personable and connected with a national U.S. television audience by sharing intimate details of his life and struggle with AIDS each week on the Real World show. Zamora was the first and only person living with HIV/AIDS that many people knew. Zamora brought awareness of the AIDS epidemic to a national audience in a way that had not be done before. He was publicly praised by U.S. President Bill Clinton for his leadership and work in educating high school students. 
Zamora died of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) soon after the The Real World: San Francisco completed taping and MTV broadcast a special memorial program in his honor.

Zamora's Real World roommate, cartoonist Judd Winick, published a graphic novel called Pedro and Me which chronicled his experiences with Pedro during and after the MTV program. Published in 2000, it won numerous awards.

When he began to fall very ill, his friend and castmate Judd became a HIV/AIDS educator and he still is! :D :D He goes around the country doing what Pedro did. His graphic novel Pedro and Me is AMAZING! I was reading it in Barnes and Noble and I had stop myself from crying :lol: It's a very quick and interesting read b/c it's duel biogrpahy told in comic book form. I know that's on amazon.com and can be found in the movies/tv entertainment section in libraries and bookstores.

If only there were more people like Pedro spreading a message of tolerance, education and love rather than hate and ignorance like Phelps.

It makes me sick when many people claim to be "tolerant" because they are anything but that. Gah! I have so many gay friends, I can stand the way people can shun their own family and friends... Maybe it's because I live in California that I feel this way, but somehow I doubt it.

I completely understand SC. My parents are minorites yet they are biggots. They only like people who are straight, white or Asian..THAT'S IT! They've lived in the city ever since coming to the US too.

I've found video and a picture of the three year old boy that was murdered by his father.

Here is Ronnie Paris Jr.

0201paris.jpg

Here is the page where the video of his parents can be viewed..

ABC

The father probably believed in the gay stereotypes projected by the media and probably freaked out when his son did something effeminate. Honestly, there was more of chance that his son was going through a phase but his father was too ignorant, fearful and hateful to realize this.

:confetti: :woot:

Senate approves same-sex legislation
CTV.ca News Staff

Canada's same-sex marriage bill could be signed into law as early as today after it receives royal assent.

The bill was passed by the Senate, 47-21, in a late-night vote Tuesday, a couple of days ahead of schedule. Three of the 95 sitting senators abstained.

Parliament passed Bill C-38 in late June ending years of heated debate.

Once it's signed into law, Canada will become the fourth country in the world to sanction same-sex marriage, following similar moves by Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium.

As the debate on the legislation dragged on, Liberal senators threatened to invoke closure and call a snap vote. But the debate ran its course with the last word coming from Liberal senator Ione Christensen who read an e-mail from a Yukon constituent.

"You have no idea what a difference it makes to the human spirit to know that you are treated equally under the law," Christensen said.

There was fierce opposition to the bill from the Conservative Party, religious groups, and even members of the government's own ranks.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has promised he won't let the issue rest. He says he'll bring back the same-sex marriage law for another vote if he becomes prime minister.

"There will be a chance to revisit this in a future Parliament," Harper said last month. "Our intention is to have a free vote."

In the Senate Tuesday, Conservative Senator Gerry St. Germain urged his fellow senators to let Canadians decide the fate of the legislation.

"Let's not pass this legislation now. Let's wait. Let's make (the election) a referendum on this bill," Germain said hours before the bill was passed.

Tory senators also introduced a motion to amend Bill C-38 to say that the traditional definition of marriage would be the union of a man and woman, but civil marriage would be the union of two people.

But the motion was dismissed as an unnecessary change.

Supporters of the bill were worried that if any changes were made the legislation could be scrubbed. That's because any amendments would have sent the bill back to the House of Commons for debate.

Among the provinces and territories, only Alberta had threatened to fight the new law. But even Premier Ralph Klein backed down on this last week.

"We will proceed to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, much to our chagrin, following proclamation of the federal Civil Marriage Act," Klein said at a press conference.

Courts across the country have ruled in favour of same-sex marriage rights, and such ceremonies have become common in Ontario and B.C.

Four "hold-out" jurisdictions -- Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories -- must now strike down their traditional marriage laws.

:lol: I love how three of the four "hold-out" jurisdictions; PEI, Nunavut and Northwest Territories makes up about a tiny pinch of the canadian population. :lol: It just makes me alugh. ;) And stupid senators who try to wait till election. Who wanna bet that they wont' be elected as PM? :rolleyes:

Tis a good day for Canada. ^_^

--mandy :angelic:

I just can't wait for the day when most of the world will laugh at how overdramatic they were for being against same sex marriage. That will be a great day :D

Here's an article I got from Yahoo

Vatican Paper Condemns Canada Gay Marriage

1 hour, 59 minutes ago

The Vatican newspaper on Thursday attacked Canada's legalization of gay marriage, calling it a distortion of God's plan for the family.

Canada became the fourth nation to grant full legal rights to same-sex couples when the Supreme Court's chief justice signed legislation Wednesday.

"The distortion of God's plan for the family continues," said L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican daily. "In Canada, homosexual unions have become equal to marriage."

The Roman Catholic Church in Canada, in line with the Vatican's worldwide policy, vigorously opposed the legislation. The Netherlands, Belgium and Spain also allow gay marriage nationwide.

Back