Politics Same-sex Marriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
sycofancy said:
NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH

Gay marriages have been going on for 4 days here in Massachusetts and here is what has NOT happened:

The earth has not been swollowed by the sun.
Fire and brimstone did not rain from the heavens.
Nuclear winter didn't take place.
No one turned into a pillar of salt.
The crime rate didn't go up.
People weren't running around exposing themselves.
Anarchy did not break loose.

Amazing isn't it?
I just forgot to say ...

I just saw this gorgeous guy here at the hotel ... so sexy ...

and I was like ... I felt the earth moving under my foot ... :lol:

and then it hit me ...

I am still alive ... ;)

Perhaps the earth was responding to you homosexual thoughts...that must be it. ;)
I am so happy that we are so powerful as to cause both natural disaster and social trend.

homosexuality is fine.But marriage is not!
Marriage is already made a mockery people! How many people do you know right now in your "circle" that have been married for longer than 10-20yrs!

The divorce rate is higher than ever.
People nowadays are getting married just to say they have...they like the novalty of it.
The really sad ones get married in a big,beautiful cathedral and make these promises to god,eachother.friends and family then are divorced less then 5yrs later.After spending thousands of dollers,not keeping that commitment to god,and sadly after at least one child.
Now I am not a religious person,but I do believe in god.I do believe in the institution of marriage of a man and a woman...and most men and women can't even get it right. Why am I to believe that gays will either.

And depending on which state you live in,a gay couple that is married will have the same rights of a married hetrosexual couple. I hope that these gay couples look into that before they jump into the ocean so to speak.Just because you think it is going to be forever...well it may not,then if it ends in a nasty divorce..there is going to be one person in that marriage that is going to have to give up more then the other!

sculder said:
I hope that these gay couples look into that before they jump into the ocean so to speak.Just because you think it is going to be forever...well it may not,then if it ends in a nasty divorce..there is going to be one person in that marriage that is going to have to give up more then the other!
Gay people aren't stupid. They know the consequences of divorce just as straight people do.

sculder said:
And depending on which state you live in,a gay couple that is married will have the same rights of a married hetrosexual couple. I hope that these gay couples look into that before they jump into the ocean so to speak.Just because you think it is going to be forever...well it may not,then if it ends in a nasty divorce..there is going to be one person in that marriage that is going to have to give up more then the other!
I thought this little soical expeiment would be funny.
Here is the quoted texted changed as it would be written in 1950's America.

And depending on which state you live in,a INTERRACIAL couple that is married will have the same rights of a married WHITE couple. I hope that these INTERRACIAL couples look into that before they jump into the ocean so to speak.Just because you think it is going to be forever...well it may not,then if it ends in a nasty divorce..there is going to be one person in that marriage that is going to have to give up more then the other!

Just trying to put things in prespective....

With that being said, what exactly is it that one member of a gay marriage will have to give up, should they get divorced, that a straight couple does not?

Do any of you realize that the gay people who are getting married in MA right now are couple who have been together 20, 30, or even 50 years? That's right, 50 years, as long as some of you GRANDPARENTS have been married. Not only have they managed to stay together that long, but they remained commited to each other in the face of adversity and hatred. What is still so unfortunate is that although they are living out an event that they have dreamed of their whole lives, something they thought they would never see happen, there are still people out there who wish to claim that this gay marriage business is a passing trend. What is even more unfortunate is that there are people who are the adge of their would be grandchildren, standing outside of city hall telling them they are going to go to hell.
How would you like it if on you wedding day I stood outside the church hurling insults at you? How would you like it if I harrassed your elderly family members while they were out and about? My guess is you wouldn't like it, and to some extent, think I was crazy...because after all why would someone want to ruin another couples wedding day.

sculder said:
homosexuality is fine.But marriage is not!
Marriage is already made a mockery people! How many people do you know right now in your "circle" that have been married for longer than 10-20yrs!

The divorce rate is higher than ever.
People nowadays are getting married just to say they have...they like the novalty of it.
The really sad ones get married in a big,beautiful cathedral and make these promises to god,eachother.friends and family then are divorced less then 5yrs later.After spending thousands of dollers,not keeping that commitment to god,and sadly after at least one child.
Now I am not a religious person,but I do believe in god.I do believe in the institution of marriage of a man and a woman...and most men and women can't even get it right. Why am I to believe that gays will either.

don't bother, they're never going to care for what you have to say.

sycofancy said:
sculder said:
I thought this little soical expeiment would be funny.
Here is the quoted texted changed as it would be written in 1950's America.

And depending on which state you live in,a INTERRACIAL couple that is married will have the same rights of a married WHITE couple. I hope that these INTERRACIAL couples look into that before they jump into the ocean so to speak.Just because you think it is going to be forever...well it may not,then if it ends in a nasty divorce..there is going to be one person in that marriage that is going to have to give up more then the other!

Just trying to put things in prespective....

With that being said, what exactly is it that one member of a gay marriage will have to give up, should they get divorced, that a straight couple does not?

Do any of you realize that the gay people who are getting married in MA right now are couple who have been together 20, 30, or even 50 years? That's right, 50 years, as long as some of you GRANDPARENTS have been married. Not only have they managed to stay together that long, but they remained commited to each other in the face of adversity and hatred. What is still so unfortunate is that although they are living out an event that they have dreamed of their whole lives, something they thought they would never see happen, there are still people out there who wish to claim that this gay marriage business is a passing trend. What is even more unfortunate is that there are people who are the adge of their would be grandchildren, standing outside of city hall telling them they are going to go to hell.
How would you like it if on you wedding day I stood outside the church hurling insults at you? How would you like it if I harrassed your elderly family members while they were out and about? My guess is you wouldn't like it, and to some extent, think I was crazy...because after all why would someone want to ruin another couples wedding day.
well said Sycofancy ... (y)

I'm for it all the way. I have to debate same-sex marriage in English in a few weeks. Hope y'all don't mind, but I'm gonna "borrow" some of your points :smiley: Credit will be given when due.

sycofancy said:
It's a two way street really.
that would be true if i didn't care for what you have to say.

rockisdead said:
I'm for it all the way. I have to debate same-sex marriage in English in a few weeks. Hope y'all don't mind, but I'm gonna "borrow" some of your points  Credit will be given when due.
feel free to borrow my points too. :D

the_alliance said:
sycofancy said:
It's a two way street really.
that would be true if i didn't care for what you have to say.
When did I ever say the words "I don't care what you have to say"? To the best of my knowledge I have never said that. It is my understanding that this was a debate. If this is correct, of course we are going to have opposing sides. What fun would it be if everyone came in here and said "I agree"? No fun at all I would think.

The reason I think that we suffer from so much adversity is that you insist on comparing homosexuals to criminals...actually let rephrase that since I know you love homosexuals with all your heart and all, but hate homosexual acts. What I meant to say is; I think the reason we have so much adversity between us is that you insist on comparing homosexual ACTS to criminal acts, and not just victimless criminal acts, but things like murder and drug addiction. What you have never seem me do however is compare being a christian to any of these things...and I love being gay just as much as you love being christian. They may be very diffrent things but it is obvious that I feel as strongly about my being a homosexual as you do about being a christian. What I don't appriciate is that you feel the need to insult me and my life style at every turn, but then have the audacity to cry foul when the majority of people here don't agree with you...not to mention that I have not once insulted you religion in the way you are insulting my homosexuality.

In short, I do care about what you have to say, I just happen to NOT CARE FOR your particualr opinion. I think it is safe to say you could say the same thing of my stance.

I support gay people, and being bisexual, why shouldn't I? But I
have a different view on this than a lot of people would, in that
marriage is a CHURCH thing. It is between 2 people and God and a
congregation and a priest. So I do think think that churches and
the congregation thereof have the right to refuse to 'traditionally'
marry ANY couple. Signing a license which gives 2 people the
same rights and binds them in the eye of law...that is not a
marriage. I think, however, that gay couples should be allowed to
have the same legal rights as any other couple, and if they want to
have a ceremony, so be it! But marriage is biblical, and between a
man and a woman in the eyes of god.

K. Ackles said:
I support gay people, and being bisexual, why shouldn't I? But I
have a different view on this than a lot of people would, in that
marriage is a CHURCH thing. It is between 2 people and God and a
congregation and a priest. So I do think think that churches and
the congregation thereof have the right to refuse to 'traditionally'
marry ANY couple. Signing a license which gives 2 people the
same rights and binds them in the eye of law...that is not a
marriage. I think, however, that gay couples should be allowed to
have the same legal rights as any other couple, and if they want to
have a ceremony, so be it! But marriage is biblical, and between a
man and a woman in the eyes of god.
i think you already posted this. or maybe it was someone else. but for the record, i agree

and sycofancy, when did i ever insult homosexuals? im not the one who is saying the christians are all "homos burn in hell" people. again, just because you're surrounded by them doesn't mean that that's what christianity believes. now you're probably going to patronize me with something about True Christians ©. i never said that i don't care for you particular opinion, you just assumed that.

the_alliance said:
i think you already posted this. or maybe it was someone else. but for the record, i agree

and sycofancy, when did i ever insult homosexuals? im not the one who is saying the christians are all "homos burn in hell" people. again, just because you're surrounded by them doesn't mean that that's what christianity believes. now you're probably going to patronize me with something about True Christians ©. i never said that i don't care for you particular opinion, you just assumed that.
Actually, I think she may have read one of your posts wrong. That's what I thought you said too, until I read it again, more slowly. You don't care FOR what she says, not you don't care WHAT she says... tricky wording.

And I go to a Jesuit university, so I'm surrounded by Christians, and none that I've met so far are the "homosexuals burn in hell" types.

But really, if marriage is such a sacred institution, then I, as an atheist, should not be allowed to get married. Neither should any couple who doesn't believe in god. Which would also mean that christians can only marry christians (which is true for some religions, isn't it?). And you know what? The idea of a "sacred institution" where half end in divorce doesn't sound very appetizing to me anyways.

And no, I'm not a misogamist.

I was the one who said I don't care FOR what the alliance says.

As far as insulting goes how doe you feel about this:

I think that Catholics are like rapists because they baptize people from birth with no consent.

Do you think that is insulting?

How about this?

I think homosexual marriage will lead to rape and murder becue all of those things are equally evil.

I find the latter offensive.

And another thing, contrary to what you might think, you are not the voice of all christians. What I have seen, with mine own eyes leads me to believe christians are hateful and intolerant. Want me to change my opinion? Well then show me, don't tell me, show me.

Existentialist said:
And I go to a Jesuit university, so I'm surrounded by Christians, and none that I've met so far are the "homosexuals burn in hell" types.
You should thank sweet jesus you don't go to a baptist university then.

All I know is this: The Archdiocese of Boston, the very same archdiocese that allowed hundreds of priest to rape thousands of children, is the driving force behind banning same sex marriage. That is very loving and accepting don't you think? Considering that they have made the blackest of black marks on the institution of Catholicism, I believe they are in no position to be influencing political opinion on anything, especially virture in sexual relations. Granted this may not be true for the archdioceses' of other cities, but certainly not in Boston where all this gay marriage business is taking place.

I would even go so far as to say unless you have seen this hatred and hypocracy with your own eyes you have no business commenting on it, but since no one in here, save me, is from Massachusetts, I don't think that would be very fair.

sycofancy said:
Existentialist said:
You should thank sweet jesus you don't go to a baptist university then.

All I know is this: The Archdiocese of Boston, the very same archdiocese that allowed hundreds of priest to rape thousands of children, is the driving force behind banning same sex marriage. That is very loving and accepting don't you think? Considering that they have made the blackest of black marks on the institution of Catholicism, I believe they are in no position to be influencing political opinion on anything, especially virture in sexual relations. Granted this may not be true for the archdioceses' of other cities, but certainly not in Boston where all this gay marriage business is taking place.

I would even go so far as to say unless you have seen this hatred and hypocracy with your own eyes you have no business commenting on it, but since no one in here, save me, is from Massachusetts, I don't think that would be very fair.
Baptists. :blink: Especially southern baptists...

Well, in all fairness, I haven't really encountered any, but when I think "southern baptist", all I can think of is that crazy yahoo who wanted to make that statue of Matthew Shepard burning, or whatever sick thing that was.

I was the one who said I don't care FOR what the alliance says.

Oh. Now I'm just confused. :thinking: Aaanyways...

As far as insulting goes how doe you feel about this:

I think that Catholics are like rapists because they baptize people from birth with no consent.

Do you think that is insulting?

How about this?

I think homosexual marriage will lead to rape and murder becue all of those things are equally evil.

I find the latter offensive.

As do I. I was baptized as a baby. Which ended up being a moot point 'cause after we moved from Hawaii when I was 4, we stopped going to church. But still.

Homosexual marriage... rape... murder... <sarcasm> yes, I see the connection between same-sex marriage and rape or murder. </sarcasm>

And another thing, contrary to what you might think, you are not the voice of all christians. What I have seen, with mine own eyes leads me to believe christians are hateful and intolerant. Want me to change my opinion? Well then show me, don't tell me, show me

Well, I know i've been lucky so far at Marquette, having not encountered any Christians who are hateful and intolerant. Maybe it's because I don't live on campus, and don't spend too much time there. But I'd be happy to introduce you to some friends from there. Then again... when I was at a Lutheran college my freshman year, there was one guy in band who wouldn't shut up about "how homosexuals are evil"... which was funny, 'cause he was telling me this on the bus for band tour (while I sat there alternating glares and rolling eyes), and there were two homosexual guys on our bus (who had to room together, 'cause none of the other guys would. :ermm:smiley:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back