Politics Same-sex Marriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joziah said:
whats the point of Marriage then, cuz if it's not a religious institution then what is the point of marriage??? Marriage is the Bond between a Man and a Woman and it should stay that way! a man and a man or a woman and a woman just doesn't work!
[post="1045159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

And why?? Hey, that there is a marriage between a man and a woman , doesn't promise, that it'll work!! What sex you and your partner have, doesn't say anything about how the realtionship is going.

And it's really true, that not everyone is christian. The church is kind of old-fashioned when it comes to things like that and that's a reason for many people to leave the church....

whats the point of Marriage then, cuz if it's not a religious institution then what is the point of marriage???
It's also a legal institution granting the spouce special rights, such as the ability to vist thier husband/wife in the hospital. It effects taxes and probably tons of other things I'm not aware of because I'm not married nor anywhere near neading to think about being so.

Besides, saying it has to be religious is rediculus, because athiests get married all the time. And adhearing to the Bible's veiw of it is also wrong, because as others have pointed out, there is marrige in many cultures that are not Christian.

I come from a brokenheterosexual home. I cannot tell you how i wish I had 2 gay parents rather than 2 hetrosexual fighting parents.

Not everyone is a christian. Just because our President is christian and feels this is wrong, dosent mean it is. To me, a gay marrage amendment only causes discrimination and hate, which is not cool. Yeah, you might think its wrong, whatever, then dont be a homosexual, but dont have hate towards other people because they are different. Thats just having ignorance.

Yeah, you might think its wrong, whatever, then dont be a homosexual, but dont have hate towards other people because they are different. Thats just having ignorance.
(y) (y) (y) (y)
Ignorance, arrogance, cruelty, prejudice, discrimination, persecution based on religion, the list goes on.

Ya I'm gonna weigh in on this....Joziah, first off, you might not want to appear so...abrasive....when discussing your point of view

I think that gay couples should reach a compromise with the gov't on civil unions. These couples who commit themselves to eachother, exactly in the way straight couples do, should be allowed the same rights as straight couples, IMO. They should be able to share a life together, and not have to put pieces of it together while straight couples get the goods.

This sentiment may be due to my being raised in an era when homosexuality is a bit more out there than other eras. I also think that the gov't needs to realize that gays aren't going to just go away. This movement is similar to the women's suffrage movement, but this time it's an even more fundamental right being taken away.

Joziah said:
whats the point of Marriage then, cuz if it's not a religious institution then what is the point of marriage??? Marriage is the Bond between a Man and a Woman and it should stay that way! a man and a man or a woman and a woman just doesn't work!
[post="1045159"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
um, what about people that don't believe in god?

i believe in god, but i think marriage should be a bond between TWO PEOPLE WHO LOVE EACH OTHER. this is just like denying two people of a different RACE the right to marry, for crying out loud. -_-

there's this kid in my public speaking class doing a persuasive speech against gay marriage
and he goes on about how it's just not meant to be
then he has the audacity to say that gay marriage would ruin society as we know it and lead to the destruction of mankind.

ummm from the last bit it sounds like he's writing a speech against rape or somehting.....

i say marriage is a bond between 2 people who love eachother and that's the way it's MEANT to be. not just between a man and a woman.

Alias_Girl_624 said:
there's this kid in my public speaking class doing a persuasive speech against gay marriage
and he goes on about how it's just not meant to be
then he has the audacity to say that gay marriage would ruin society as we know it and lead to the destruction of mankind.

[post="1051310"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

That's a bit screwed up. How is gay marriage going to ruin society. Do people think I am going to ruin the world because I am a lesbian? I would hope not. I mean, I am even thinking of running for office someday. Damn. And it is meant to be, it's not like we live in society where everything is decided by religion. We live in a society where everything is decided by society.

Off-topic- Maggie, that rocks that you have a public speaking class.

ms.katejones said:
9 states passed laws defining marriage as between a man and a woman. I cannot believe how conservative the US has become.
[post="1051961"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yep, quite sad :thinking: The good news is that a majority of young people don't seem to have a problem with it.. especially not to the point of legalities. So, I think this is one of those issues that will slowly take care of itself as the baby-boomers grow old and die off, and the younger folk become the majority voters. Makes me wonder what we'll be fighting against when we're old and prudish :lol:

What I don't understand is that people are gong to be gay whether the Christian extremists approve or not. Why don't they want everybody to be happy?!

AgentDesertRose said:
That's a bit screwed up. How is gay marriage going to ruin society. Do people think I am going to ruin the world because I am a lesbian? I would hope not. I mean, I am even thinking of running for office someday. Damn. And it is meant to be, it's not like we live in society where everything is decided by religion. We live in a society where everything is decided by society.

Off-topic- Maggie, that rocks that you have a public speaking class.
[post="1051373"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

unfortunatly, kat, some people do think that you are going to ruin the world because you are a lesbian. (however these people deserve ... ughhh ... won't even go there. they just piss me off let's leave it at that, lol)
if you run for office, i'd vote for you :D

i agree about your comments on how the society is run ... unfortunatly religious beliefs mandate what people's morals are, therefore society is rather run by religion i guess. i don't think it should matter. people should respect eachother no matter what and that's that.

and my public speaking class is required by my school ... though i'd take it even if it wasn't required!! ^_^

While obviously not everyone in America is Christian, the nation was founded on Christian values and principles, and that should be respected. We live in a time where people are always trying to be “politically correct,” all the while ignoring the moral and ethical values of the country. By opposing gay marriage, we are not trying to offend people, we are simply standing up for the Godly principles that America was founded upon.

Anyway, congratulations to President Bush!

Argh!! :o_O:

That is awfully cruel. To gay people (please remember that respecting board members means respecting the gay board members too), to Americans who aren't Christian, to minority groups...

"America was founded on Christian principles" - big deal - that was centuries ago. Do you condone burning Catholics or Protestants in England? After all, that's the way it was done back in the 'good old days'.

And we're not just talking about America here. There are far more non-Christians in the world than there are Christians.

Ok, I am going to be brutally honest. I am a Christian. I don't believe that people are born gay, I believe that people choose to be gay. I do believe that God views homosexuality as a sin. So I can not in good conscience say that I find gay marriage ok.

But with that said, I don't think it should be banned. Why? The last time I checked the Consitituiton of the United States is supposed to protect all Americans, not just the Christians and the conservatives. The consitituition states that people can not be discrimated against due to their religious beliefs, race, sex, or sex orientation. In other words, banning gay marriage violates gay people's rights because you are banning a marriage between them because of their sexual orentation.

OT: Last time someone listened to a bush, folks wandered around in the desert for 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back