Paranormal Sanctuary

Tim

Creative Writer
Title: Sanctuary

Genre: Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2008-10-03

Creator: Damian Kindler

Cast: Amanda Tapping, Robin Dunne, Christopher Heyerdahl, Ryan Robbins, Agam Darshi, Jim Byrnes, Jonathon Young

Overview: The adventures of the beautiful, enigmatic and always surprising Dr. Helen Magnus, a brilliant scientist who holds the secrets of a clandestine population called Abnormals - a group of strange and sometimes terrifying beings that hide among humans. Magnus seeks to protect this threatened phenomena as well as unlock the mysteries behind their existence.
Sanctuary

Sci Fi gets live-action 'Sanctuary'

Thursday, January 31 2008, 12:20 GMT
By Alex Fletcher, Entertainment Reporter
The Sci Fi Channel has commissioned a live-action TV series in the style of films 300 and Sin City called Sanctuary.

There will be 13 episodes of the show, which originated online as a high-definition web series, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

Sanctuary is created by Stargate SG-1 producers Damian Kindler and Martin Wood and executive producer Sam Egan.

The show stars Amanda Tapping as Dr Helen Magnus, who hunts and aids strange creatures that walk the Earth with her young protege Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne).

Sci Fi's Mark Stern said: "We were blown away by the level of quality they have been able to achieve on a Web budget.

"We loved the world they'd created, and we particularly loved their approach, since we had been looking for a way to apply the virtual-set CGI environment from films like 300 and Sin City to a television series."

Re: Sanctuary goes from webepisodes to Sci-fi channel contract

Do you know about when they're going to air it on Sci Fi? I haven't had the time to catch any of the webisodes and I'd hate to miss it when it's actually on tv. It sounds so cool and I've heard lots of good things about it.

FilmDiva6,

I think the 13 episodes that have been ordered will be unique to airing and not the actual webisodes that have been released so far.

From the official blog (抗菌保湿効果も!ローヤルゼリーでスキンケア)....
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sci Fi Channel in the U.S. has ordered a full 13-episode season of Sanctuary and we begin production in March. International television distribution deals are still being negotiated, you can expect to hear more about these in the weeks to come but rest assured, nobody’s being left out.[/FONT]
... so if you haven't watched the webisodes yet, you may want to catch them soon.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll be checking the webisodes out really soon.

Guys/gals,

Don't forget, Sanctuary premieres this Friday at 9:00 Eastern! If you're not familiar with the show, it stars Amanda Tapping (Maj. Carter from Stargate:SG1) as a scientists who seeks out & provides safe harbor for creatures that others would hunt down.

Think of it along the lines of.... if the crew from Torchwood are the hunters, then the crew from Sanctuary are the protectors.

It started life as a web based series and was picked up the Sci-Fi Channel.

Get your DVRs programmed. ;)

Is this fresh material? Carrying on from the pay to view webepisodes?
Good question. I don't know if the TV show will pick-up from the end of the webisodes or if the series will be starting over from scratch but using a bigger budget.

Originally when the TV series was announced the creators said that the webisodes would continue independently as shorts but it looks like that is no longer the plan.

Sanctuary on UK DVD

I think this is useful information for fans of TV Sci Fi...

Sanctuary is out in the UK on DVD on Oct 18th 2009.

I have trailer and Myspace links but I'll wait to add those in case long term, active members object to this post. Hopefully you'll see it as interesting, correctly targeted information and not irrelevant spam!

"The hit TV series from the creative team responsible for the enormously popular “Stargate SG-1” and “Stargate: Atlantis”, SANCTUARY comes to DVD in October as a four-disc collection featuring all 13 episodes of the show’s first season.

Smartly combining elements of sci-fi, fantasy and horror into one thrilling genre-spanning package, the series stars a talented cast of actors who will already be familiar to fantasy fans, including Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1; Stargate: Atlantis), Robin Dunne (Just Friends; Species III), Emilie Ullerup (jPod), Christopher Heyerdahl (The Twilight Saga: New Moon; Stargate: Atlantis) and Ryan Robbins (Battlestar Galactica; Stargate: Atlantis).

In the middle of investigating a multiple murder that isn’t anywhere near as straightforward as the police seem to believe, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Dunne) is approached by the beautiful and enigmatic Dr. Helen Magnus (Tapping) with an offer to join her in a very secretive project. Having devoted her unfeasibly long life of 157 years (although it certainly doesn’t show) to the study of cutting edge medicine and science, Helen is all too familiar that the world is full of things most humans don’t understand. Not only does she recognize that the creatures of everyone’s childhood nightmares can exist, she has the proof that they do exist, contained within the walls of the Sanctuary, where she houses, protects and learns from the extraordinary and paranormal creatures that inhabit our world. Initially sceptical and a little apprehensive, Will agrees to join the Sanctuary team and, along with Helen, her fearless daughter Ashley (Ullerup), technical genius Henry Foss (Robbins) and Helen’s “man-Friday”, a former patient and real-life Bigfoot (Heyerdahl), begins the amazing and often dangerous task of tracking down the strange and often terrifying creatures that secretly share our world.

A pioneering series credited with introducing a new wave of production techniques and visual effects to television through its use of “green screen” technology and high definition digital filming, and the recent recipient of an Emmy Award nomination for Outstanding Special Visual Effects For A Series, SANCTUARY is a stunning and highly entertaining series that will thrill genre fans with both its unique look and its engaging storyline.

Re: Sanctuary on UK DVD

Feel free to post up direct links to fan pages, trailers, etc! The show is on-topic and relevant here.

Did anyone see this latest episode, it was amazing, i just could not believe it, a person just going around the hospital and shooting everyone, and then a lot of the new characters are dead as well, i thought it was such an action packed grey's anatomy, that i had to watch it again, and i loved the way that their was another episode right after it as well.

Sanctuary fans, get ready for a new night. :smiley:

SyFy is moving the show from Friday night to Monday night starting this week. Tonight, Friday, there will be a new episode shown and then this coming Monday will be another new episode.

PS: A few different Sanctuary threads merged.

It seems that even well after being cancelled by SyFy that Sanctuary is still working on finding new audiences.
Tricon Films & Television and PPI Releasing said Monday that they are launching the procedural drama Sanctuary in syndication next year.

The off-net drama, which aired for four seasons on Syfy, will launch in weekly barter syndication in 2013-14.
There is always that hope that the syndication airings get popular and SyFy considers a made-for-TV movie to tie up some of the loose ends from the series.