Sanity Saved

Okay, so here's chapter 2. Thanks everyone for replying. Please reply for this one too! Hope ya like it :D

Chapter 2

I pounded my pillows when I awoke Saturday morning. Why couldn’t I just sleep in for once? I hated always waking up early, but once I was awake I was awake, so regretfully I pulled myself out of my queen sized bed. I could hear both of my parents downstairs, probably reading the morning paper, while sipping coffee.

I quickly through on some jeans and a red tank top, and headed downstairs, while grabbing my favourite book, “Alice in Wonderland.” Ever since I was little I had loved this story, and today was the day I decided that I needed to open the doors back into my childhood.

I took the stairs down two at a time, and landed with a soft thud on the ground below.

“Sydney, is that you?” my mother called from the living room.

I rolled my eyes, of course it was me. Nadia didn’t wake up till late on Saturday mornings.

“Yes, mother, it’s me,” I said, attempting to keep the sarcasm out of my voice.

I walked into the kitchen, grabbed an apple, and walked over to the living room.

“I’m going for a walk,” I told my parents.

“All right,” my mom said without even looking up from the newspaper.

I loved being able to get away from that house, even if it was just for a little while. It was like I could all of a sudden breathe, and didn’t have to be worrying about being perfect Sydney. I let the fresh air make its way into my lungs, making me feel light and wonderful, like a balloon floating away.

I walked a little further down the sidewalks, enjoying the freedom that I now had. I stopped at my favorite place. It was secluded from the rest of the town, and I rarely saw anyone while I was here, so to me it was the ideal spot.

I sat down against a large tree, and opened up the book to the first page. It had been so long since I had read these words. I smiled, and got comfortable. I would most likely be here for some time.

A couple pages in I could hear feet pounding against the pavement, but I ignored it, figuring it was just some jogger.

I was so engrossed in my book that it took me a couple seconds to realize that someone was looking at me. Frantically, I looked up, afraid to have someone staring at me. When I lifted my head I saw two familiar green eyes looking back at me. Immediately I went into defense mood. Neither of us said anything to one another, simply just stared.

“Do you need something?” I asked in a voice that would have my mother scolding me for being rude.

He still didn’t say anything right away. He cocked his head to the right and looked at me curiously.

“You’re the girl from yesterday, aren’t you?”

“Yes,” I stated simply.

“You go to the private school then?’ He asked, as if this news surprised him.

“Not everyone who goes there is like that,” I said, referring to the way my sister and her friends acted yesterday.

“But most of them are,” he said challenging me.

I didn’t disagree with him there.

He smiled, but I continued to scowl at him. He immediately frowned when he realized that I wasn’t happy with this situation.

“Are you upset about what happened yesterday?”

I narrowed my eyes, to tell him I was obviously was.

“Hey, I had no idea who you were yesterday.”

“Oh, you all of a sudden have a great understanding of me now?” I was surprising myself with the boldness of my questions.

“I can tell you’re not like them,” he stated, as if it was most the obvious fact in the world.

“How?”

“Well, for one you’re talking to me, and not acting as if you want to kill me.” He paused. “Well, actually you kind of do look like you want to kill me right now, but not because of hockey.” He smiled at me.

He was smart. He knew what to say.

I smiled back at him, but only a small smile. I didn’t even know this guy.

“My name’s Michael Vaughn.”

“Sydney Bristow.”

He smiled, as if my name pleased him somehow.

“Sydney,” he repeated. “Yup, you defiantly look like a Sydney.”

“And what exactly does a Sydney look like?” I asked, amusement in my voice. I was beginning to like this Michael Vaughn.

“I don’t know, but if anyone looked like a Sydney it would be you.”

“Good to know.” I smiled. He returned it.

“Well, I better be going.” He said, pointing to the main road.

I nodded.

“It was nice meeting you, Sydney.”

“You, too.”

He gave a small wave of acknowledgment, and was back on his way.

I turned my head back towards the pages of Alice in Wonderland, but realized that my head was no longer in Alice’s wonderland; it was in Sydney’s wonderland, with the first boy that was ever able to charm me.

~*~*~*~

When I returned home, Nadia was awake. She sat at the kitchen table, nibbling at a piece of bacon. I sat down across from her, while grabbing a couple pieces of toast, and spreading some butter across the warm surface.

She turned to look at me. She looked like she might say something, but then thought better of it. Inwardly I sighed. How I wished she would say something to me.

My mom appeared in the kitchen doorway.

“Girls, I would like to go to the mall today with the two of you. We need to pick out some new dresses for a weeding we’re attending this weekend,” she told us.

I felt like every weekend my mom was purchasing new dresses for us. For a lot of girls that would be there dream, but for me it was just a nuisance.

“Yes, mother.” We replied together.

~*~*~*

By 11 o’clock we were walking though the crowds in the mall. My mom wouldn’t hear of us wearing the same dress twice, and became very upset when we did, so every time a new social function came up we were pushing our way through clumps of people in the long halls of the local mall…again.

She dragged us in to every store imaginable. Some with long dresses; some short, some sleeveless; some strapless, some were pink; some were blue. Finally they found one that would be suiting for Nadia, but I was a problem.

“I just don’t know what I like best on you, Sydney,” my mom said to me, studying the pink dress that I was modeling for her. I thought it was hideous, but I didn’t say anything; I just wanted to get out of the stuffy mall. Too many people for my liking.

“Take it off. It’s not right for you,” she ordered.

I sighed. Would there ever be a right dress for me?

We exited the store, and were off again. All the noise and commotion was starting to get to me. I looked into the many stores, with people and clothes overflowing in them. To think people actually enjoyed this was simply crazy. Well, maybe it was different if you actually had friends to go with, I thought regretfully.

I stopped. It was a silky red dress, strapless, with rhinestones around the neckline.

“Mom, can I try that one?” I said, pointing to it.

She turned to inspect it.

“Yes of course, dear.”

I walked into the store, and simply stared at it. It was one of the few dresses that I actually liked. I fingered the silky fabric; trying to get the feeling of the dress. It looked like it would fit my body perfectly. I picked out my size, and made my way to the dressing room.

“Will that be it, miss?” the salesperson asked me.

“Yes,” I replied, as she led me to a dressing room; my mother and sister following at my heels.
I quickly took off my clothes, and slipped the dress over my head.

I smoothed out the fabric. I slowly turned around to regard myself in the mirror. I smiled. For once, something looked perfect on me. The rhinestones gleamed perfectly, and made it look like my skin was glowing. I sighed, contently.

I opened the door to see my mother and sister talking in a corner. I walked over to them to get their attention.

“Oh, Sydney it’s lovely,” my mother said.

Well, that was one of the few compliments that I had ever got from my mother.

“Thanks, mom.”

“Now go and change out of it, so I can pay for it. We still need to look for shoes and jewelry.”

Sigh.

~*~*~*

Finally after two hours of shopping my mother sat me and Nadia down for a quick lunch. My feet were killing me, so inwardly I thanked god.

We got a table at the back, and all sat down.

“So are you happy with your purchases?” My mom asked us.

“Oh, yes, mother thank you so much for the new dresses. They’re wonderful!” Nadia exclaimed.

Inwardly I snorted. She was such a suck up. I was doing this “inward” stuff a lot. Maybe that was my problem- I kept things bottled up.

I picked up my menu to glance at the many different lunch items. I heard water being poured into my glass. Without looking up I grabbed the now full water glass. I sipped the cold, refreshing water, lifting my head slightly, then almost spitting out my water. I began coughing.

“Sydney, what’s the matter with you?” My mother asked me, in outrage.

Michael Vaughn was pouring our water, smiling.

“Nothing,” I mumbled, shrinking deep into my chair.

“Sydney, don’t slouch,” my mother ordered.

“Sorry,” I mumbled once again, feeling like such a pathetic loser.

Lunch was horrible. He kept refilling our glasses. If only my mother didn’t feel the need to drink so much water. How did she keep it all in there, anyway? We exited the mall. My mother walked ahead of Nadia and I as we made our way to the car. She kept giving me accusing looks. I tried to ignore her, but it was becoming impossible.

“What?” I said.

She didn’t say anything for a moment.

“Why were you acting all weird when that idiot was serving us water?”

“I wasn’t acting weird!”

“Umm, ya’, you were! You almost spit your water out, Sydney.”

“I was choking, god!”

She didn’t respond until we got home.

“He’s the enemy,” she warned, with an evil look, and walked up to her room, leaving me stunned at the bottom of the stairs.

Okay, was I in high-school or did I just sign up for a war?

~*~*~*

That night I couldn’t seem to close my eyes. I had met the guy three times so far. What was so special about him? I had one stupid conversation with him, he poured me water, and he insulted me. So what was the big deal? Why was I acting like…Nadia? The thought scared me. She was the one who would stay up half the night worrying about boys and such, not me. I wasn’t like that. I always had nice, peaceful sleeps; I liked it that way!

I turned onto my side to look at the clock. Ugh, it was 3am, and I had to be up early for this stupid wedding. Nadia and I had hair appointments. I didn’t know why we couldn’t just do our own hair, but my mom insisted.

~*~*~*

Only a mere three hours later my annoying mind was telling me to get up. Why did I have to be such an early bird? Sleep sounded good right now, but I knew my body wasn’t going to allow it. I lazily made my way to the shower, and got ready for the day ahead.

My mother eyed me in the back of the car though the rearview mirror. My hair was wet. We were going to the hair dresser! The point of doing my hair would be? There were so many odd things about my family that I would never understand, or even try understanding.

We arrived at the upscale hair salon, and the three of us all exited the car, making our way to the large glass door. Instantly we were attacked by a group of hairstylists. All of who were hugging my mom as if they were old friends.

“Irina, my dear, what lovely children you have,” a lady told our mother.

The lady looked like she had on way too much make-up for her own good. Her lips were painted with the reddest of lipsticks, her eyes were lined with black eyeliner, and her cheeks were as red as cherries.

She ushered both my sister and I into separate chairs, and two women automatically began addressing our hair with combs and hairspray.

I coughed when the one woman sprayed way too much into my hair.

My mother sat in the corner with the make-up lady talking.

After what felt like a zillion years the woman stepped back from my hair, and examined it herself. She smiled, and turned me around in the chair to study myself.

What I saw was almost a shock. A good one, though.

My hair was done in tight ringlets, tied back in some twist at the nape of my neck, so that the curls tumbled around the back of my head. A few stray hairs farmed my face.

I smiled one of my famous Sydney Bristow smiles.

“Thank-you,” I said to the hairdresser.

You very ‘velcome,” she said in a heavy Russian accent.

I looked over at Nadia, whose hair also looked magnificent, she smiled at me. Did she actually just give me a genuine smile?

~*~*~*

I got home, and it was almost time to start getting ready. I went upstairs, and took my dress out of my large closet, and placed it gingerly on the bed. It was stupid, but for some reason I had this image of it shattering into little pieces, like everything else that was good in my life.
Surprisingly, my mother had agreed that Nadia and I could do our own make-up. I didn’t know if I was happy about this or not. I decided it would be easier to put the dress on first because I knew I could do that. I looked at myself in the dress for the second time in less than 48 hours. I pulled it up to make sure that it was securely in place on my thin frame. It probably wouldn’t be appreciated if the dress fell down in the middle of the ceremony.

My hair looked perfect with the dress; the only thing missing, though, was the make-up. I sighed. I was horrible at things like this. When it came to putting on minimal amounts I was okay, but knowing my mom she would expect a full done makeover.

Before I could loose the courage I opened my door, and took the few steps down the hallway to my sister’s room. I could hear her rummaging in her closet, but I knocked anyway, hoping for the best. She opened up her white door. She too was already in her dress. Her dress was a very light pink colour, almost white, which looked perfect with her dark complexion and hair.

“Yes?”

“Nadia, I was wondering if you could possibly help me with my make-up?”

Nadia regarded me with a sense of curiosity.

“I guess that would be all right,” she said, ushering me into her room.

I stepped in. Having only been in her room a couple times in my life. I looked around. The walls were sea foam green, with many white accents: dresser, bedspread, pillows, and chairs. The walls were covered in Nadia’s favourite actresses, actors, and singers. Pictures of her friends lined every free space of wall. Her room was exactly what you expected every teenage girl’s room to look like.

“Sit here,” she told me, pointing to a vanity, much like mine, except hers was covered in clumps of more make-up. Mine had a tube of mascara, two cases of eye shadow, and black eyeliner. Looking down at hers I think she owned every colour of eyeliner possible. Half the stuff I couldn’t even tell you what it was.

She passed me a white washcloth.

“Put this in front of you, so you don’t get any make-up on your dress.”

I nodded, and placed the cloth on my front.

Immediately Nadia started taking different bottles and tubes, and began to smudge products into my face. She used so many different things I could barely keep up.

After about 15 minutes she stopped, and nodded.

“There you go,” she said, telling me that she was through.

I turned around in my seat, so I could see what she had done.

For the second time that day I was surprised with what I saw (in a good way).

Nadia had somehow made my skin look like it was practically glowing, and my lips were done in a glossy, peachy colour. My eyes looked dark and somewhat mysterious, with black outlining them. I looked up at her.

“Thank you so much, Nadia,” I said sincerely.

“It was no problem,” she said, shrugging her shoulder.

This was one of the longest conversations we had had in months.

I got up to leave. I was just about to reach for the door handle, when I heard Nadia say:

“You really do look beautiful, Sydney.”

I turned around smiled. “You too, Nadia.”

I left her room, and immediately went straight for the journal under my bed, and wrote:

Are Nadia and I finally taking a step in the right direction?

~Andrea :angelic:

Great update. But i think we need more S/V moments. Tough the water was a funny one.
Thanks for the pm, I got one.

I don't worry they'll be more S/V moments soon. I just want to establish the relationship that Syd has with her family first. The next chapter has a bit, though, so don't worry :D

Hmmm....she's met Vaughn 3 times....Is he going to be at the wedding!!!!? :angelic:
-I'm glad she's 'bonding' more with Nadia....the only bad thing is she hates Vaughn!!!!
Can't wait for more!! Thanks for the pm!!

that was awesome, do you have a picture of the dress that Syd got??

i think Syd has the hotts for Michael Vaughn :P 💘

update again reallly soon, please

-luv Em :love:

^^ I kind of based it off this one picture, but I can't seem to find it again. I wish I could, though, because whenever I read a fanfic and the author puts Sydney in a dress I always want a visual aid. Sorry. It's really pretty in my mind, though :D

oh so cute
syd likes him and almost made her choke
i bet he liked that
n syd is becoming more girly but not in a bad way
hope they see each other again
luved syds thoughts when she couldn't sleep :lol:
thanks for the pm
please update soon
thanks

luv Chicketepee :seehearspeak:

Aw that was great that Sydney and Nadia said more than two words to each other. Now if only Michael could be at the wedding to see her like that. :smiley:

Great chapter.

I have the next chapter done, but I probably won't update till late tonight or tomorrow. I want to finish chapter 4 before posting chapter 3, lol :D . Glad everyone likes it!

Back