Sanity Saved

Well at least Vaughn and Syd both know they aren't going to give up on each other!!!
-Poor Syd she's finally happy.....and everybody is making a big deal about it!!!
OO I can't wait to see what's gonna happen at the hockey game!!!
-Great update!! Thanks for the pm!!

What we didn’t know was this night would shape out to be one of the most difficult we would face together.
You can't just leave like that...At least she said they would face it together...so hopefully in the end they will remain together...
Can't wait to see what happens next.
Thanks for the pm.

I have been reading this for two days!
And I love it!
Can' I please get a pm!!
I can't wait to see what happens at the game!

Oooooo. I wonder what is going to happen...maybe Vaughn will smack Ricky in the face and beat him for getting Nadia pregnant. Hm...or Syddie sees her mom. *ponders* Anyways, great chapter. I glad that Vaughn is caring. Thanks for the PM.

-erin :smiley:

hi ohh wats goin happen
every body on syd side goin get mad??
i guess well just have to find out
ok sorry bout not replying
i was on vaca
ok thanks for still sending me pms
vj

oh whats gonna happen???
ur clif hangers are always so crule
n poor nadia its gonna be horrid when she has to tell her parents
thanks for the pms
sorry it took me so long to reply
i can't wait for more
update soon

luv Chicketepee ^_^

Yes, I am a horrible person. It's been forver since I updated. Ugh, I feel horrible :confused: . I'm sorry. This is a long chapter, so hopefully that makes up for it :smiley: . Hope you all like it!!

Chapter 25

That night Vaughn I headed out to the game together. Early, of course, since Vaughn was the captain of the team. They needed to prepare and get in the mind set, as he liked to say. I could tell he was feeling slightly anxious about the results of the game tonight. This was a very important match between the two schools. It would determine who would be going to the semi-finales, and as horrible as it sounded I desperately hoped my school would lose. I squeezed his hand, trying to tell him it would be all right. He looked over with an appreciative smile. He was still quite, though. I didn’t mind. We had gotten to the point in our relationship where the silence was no longer awkward.

We walked into the arena to see Vaughn’s team huddled in the corner talking; all with the same anxious expression as Vaughn’s. He walked over to them. I expected he would let me go, but he still held on. I let him lead me over to the group of guys. They all looked up as we approached. God, it was like somebody died or something. All their faces looked so grave, so serious. I tried to understand the world of competitive hockey, but unfortunately would never, but if it was something Vaughn enjoyed, then so did I.

“Hi, Sydney,” they all mumbled, their usual energetic welcome gone.

I smiled.

“Everyone ready?” Vaughn asked.

“As ready as we’ll ever be, considering we’ve practiced our asses off for the past six months,” Weiss said for everyone.

It was every year for the past six years that Collins High lost to McWilliams in this particular game. This year they planned on changing things, and hopefully they would come out victorious. Not to mention, Vaughn would be devastated if they didn’t win, especially considering this was his last year to beat them/us (were they a them or an us?).

The team nodded in response to the question. They all walked towards the locker room to get ready and “get in the mind set.”

Vaughn turned towards me, and put his hands on my shoulders.

“Wish me luck.”

“Luck,” I said, smiling in amusement up at him.

“Oh, we’re so going to win now because I have Sydney Bristow’s luck,” he said in a sing-song voice, kissing me sweetly.

“You better,” I called after him. He turned back to smile at me, and walked into the dressing room.
I turned around quickly so I could get a good seat, and noticed a large number of people from my school staring at me in disgust. I ignored it, knowing it was best not to give into them. It was what they wanted, and I wasn’t about to give them the satisfaction of knowing they upset me.

I walked right through a group of McWilliams girls who were eagerly chatting about the outcome of tonight’s game.

“Vaughn stands no chance. He’s got nothing on Ricky,” one girl said, pointedly looking in my direction.

Could they be anymore obvious?

“We’re going to kill them tonight. I can smell the victory. Vaughn’s going down.”

Apparently they could.

~*~*~*~

“Oh my god, Vaughn!” I said, latching myself onto his neck.

“We won!” he said in triumph.

“Thanks for stating the obvious there,” I said, laughing up at him; my arms still around his neck.

“Ugh, I’m just so excited. I could, I could, I don’t even know!” he said, running a hand through his hair, and a permanent smile fixed on his face. Obviously, causing me to smile myself.

“I’m so happy,” he said, before hugging me excitedly again. I laughed. We looked like two overgrown children, who had just received amazing news. I could feel disapproving eyes all around me, but I barely registered them.

During the whole game I was on the edge of my seat, openly cheering for Vaughn. Not caring about what people said. I was past that point in my life. It no longer mattered what people said about me. As long I was happy, that’s all that mattered. And I was!

It was amazing to see Vaughn play. Of course, I had before, but this time it was different. I felt proud, knowing he was my boyfriend. Wow, that really did sound awesome!

“Well, practically the whole school is going out to celebrate. You want to go?”

“Of course,” I said, eagerly grabbing his hand, happy to hang out with his friends again. I hadn’t seen Francie and the girls in a while. I could see Francie approaching us quickly, a wide grin displayed on her face. She practically jumped in my arms when she reached me. I was sure I would fall if Vaughn didn’t have a tight grip on my hand.

“This is awesome!” She practically yelled.

“I know!” I giggled. This feeling of elation was so magnificent I didn’t realize I would be this excited, but it was contagious. Practically everyone from McWilliams had left now, sulking on their way out. Some more angry, then sad, saying it was the refs fault for their loss. Excuses, excuses… I would unfortunately have to listen to these all day Monday, and long after. My exact definition of fun. Yeah, right!

Before we left to go out we talked to a few other excited Collins’ students. Some I was on a first name basis with, some not. There were a couple obvious jealous girls, knowing I possessed the role of Michael Vaughn’s girlfriend.

“Vaughn, I think you have a fan club,” I whispered into his ear.

He looked over in the direction I was looking in, and immediately began to blush profoundly. He looked away when they noticed his gaze. They immediately started giggling like little girls, unlike the teenagers they were.

“Ugh, they’ve been after me since like grade.8,” he exclaimed. “It’s so embarrassing!” he said turning away, and leading me away, which was easier said than done, since I was laughing so hard he couldn’t get me to move.

“Grade. 8, seriously? Oh my god, I just noticed their shirts and posters,” I said, eyeing the shirts that said, “Michael Vaughn- Star of the Cardinals! We love you!” Of course all were in small sizes, and in a bright pink.

“Syd, come on,” he urged. “I’d rather not be attacked by a bunch of crazy, deranged blondes,” he told me becoming nervous as they started walking excitedly towards us.

I quickly turned around with him, wanting to avoid them as well. We wove our way through the crowd, attempting to avoid “Vaughn fans.” It seemed that every person in the whole arena wanted to know if Vaughn was coming to the after party. We got to the point where we just kept saying yes, even if nobody was talking to us.

God, I never realized how popular Vaughn actually was. We both let out of a sigh of relief as we slid into the car. Safe from everyone else.

“Well, Mr. Popularity, how does it feel to win the big game?”

He laughed. “Pretty good, I must say. I’m not sure about the Mr. Popularity part, though,” he said with a lopsided grin.

~*~*~*~

We arrived at the party slightly after everyone else. We drove around for a while knowing this would be the last time we were alone for the night.

We walked into the party, and immediately a loud cheer erupted from the large crowd in front of us, causing me to hide slightly behind Vaughn, and for him to shake his head modestly.

“No need to be modest, man. You won that game for us. Without you we would most likely be killed. You must have had some real encouragement to play that good of a game,” Weiss said, slapping Vaughn on the back, and looking pointedly at me at the last part of his sentence.

I smiled humbly; not wanting to bring attention to myself.

We moved through the party. I felt like I was seriously walking with a celebrity or something. It was like every direction we turned somebody wanted to talk to Mr. Hockey himself. Some of them recognized me as a girl who intended McWilliams, which immediately caused them to ask, “what she’s doing here?” Vaughn, of course, instantly told them I was his girlfriend, which caused their disgusted tone to turn to one of sincere welcome.

“You want something to drink?” Vaughn asked, after we were done talking to someone who was in Vaughn’s bio class.

I nodded my head, and we headed in the general direction of where it looked like there were drinks. Vaughn passed me a can of coke, and got one for himself, too. We leaned up against the table, and observed the excited people around us. Everyone seemed so pleased to be the ones who came out as winners this time, and I was happy for them too. Half of the team was in a delusional state. Yelling and jumping around in an excited manner.

“Vaughn, you can go with them you know. I’m fine here.”

“Syd, do you really think I want to be doing that?” he said, indicating to a very embarrassing sort of dance Weiss seemed to be doing.

I laughed. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“Anyway, I’d rather just stay here,” he said, putting his arm around me.

Since meeting Vaughn I never found a time where I smiled so much. It seemed at every comment he made there was something to grin about. Whether it be some cute remark, or something that simply made me feel like the most important girl in the world. He made me forget about everything bad in my life. The fight with my mom already had disappeared from my mind. Before him, I rarely ever smiled. I had no friends, nobody to talk to, and barely any social contact. Quite literally, my life changed when I met Vaughn, and it was all for the better. I really did love him. I wanted to tell him that, but I assumed this probably wasn’t the best time or the place to do so.

“Hey!” I felt a hand clamping down on my shoulder, breaking me from my thoughts. I turned around to see Francie standing behind me with the same grin across her face.

“Hey!”

“Vaughn, you mind if I steal her away from you for a while?” she asked.

He looked hesitant for a moment. “I guess, but not for the whole night,” he laughed.

She laughed as well. “We’ll have to learn to share her,” Francie said, going along with Vaughn’s joking manner.

“Aw, do we have to? I wanted her all to myself,” he said, wrapping his arms around me from behind. I turned to look at him, his face inches from mine.

“You’ll learn to live without me. It may be hard, but you’re smart; you’ll figure it out.” I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, obviously teasing him. I slipped out from underneath his arm, and linked arms with Francie. We walked a couple steps before I turned around and smiled at him. He shook his head, laughing quietly to himself, and went to find members of the team. It wasn’t for a few minutes till I noticed Francie was staring at me.

“What?”

“Nothing,” she said.

“Francie?” What?”

She shook her head. “It’s nothing.”

I have her the tell-me-what-you’re-talking-about-or-I’ll-never-talk-to-you-again look

“You and Vaughn. Cutest couple ever put on the face of the earth!” she squealed in her girly voice. A couple people heard her, and laughed quietly.

“See! They all think so, too!”

I rolled my eyes.

We continued walking. “So, where are we going?”

“Don’t really know. I’m just kind of walking,” she laughed. “Hey, let’s go find Carrie. I know she’s somewhere around here. She’ll want to say hi.”

~*~*~*~

The night turned out to be a blast. Full of embarrassing moments for some (mostly Weiss), including him getting up on a table and doing the Macarena for every one, and some memorable moments between me and Francie.

It was nearly one before I even saw Vaughn again. I was finally able to locate him in the middle of the crowd, with a bunch of people surrounding him. I literally had to push my way through them to even get close to him, but immediately upon seeing me he made a straight line towards me, causing everyone to move out of the way for him. The man was like a God to them, I swear.

“I thought you said you wouldn’t be taking her for the whole night?” he said to Francie, joking.

“Well, if you weren’t some god damn popular maybe it would be easier to find you,” she said, joking as well.

“Well, we’re probably going to be heading out soon, Fran. We’ll see you later,” he said, hugging her briefly.

“She turned towards me. “Call me soon, kay?” she said, hugging me as well.

“Of course.”

It was so wonderful to have a friend (how dorky did that sound?).

She left, and Vaughn turned towards me. “You ready to go?” he asked.

“If you are.”

“Yah, it’s getting really hot in here.”

He grabbed my hand, and navigated his way out of the crowd, which was easier said than done, considering it seemed every single person in that room wanted to congratulate Vaughn before leaving.

Ten minutes later we were able to escape the stuffiness of the room, and make our way out into the clear night. It was slightly cold that night, but thankfully I still had my sweater from the game. I draped it over my bare shoulders, as Vaughn put his arm around me. We started walking off to the right, completely silent. After about five minutes of aimlessly walking around it hit me that I had no idea where I was going.

“Vaughn?” I whispered, not wanting to be the one to break the solitude of the night, but feeling the need to so we didn’t end up lost.

“Yah,” he said distantly.

“Do you have any idea where were going?” I asked.

He immediately snapped out of his trance, looking around. “Have we seriously been walking around with no idea where we’re going for the past couple minutes?” He laughed.

“Apparently. I thought you knew where we going.”

“And I thought you knew. Wow, we’re both stupid.”

“Hey, I for one am not a stupid. You, I’m not so sure of.”

He rolled his eyes, and grabbed my hand hastily. “It’s this way,” he told me, pulling me towards his car that we had just passed.

Once we were both seated in the car, and his laughing had subsisted Vaughn started up the car. I don’t know why, but I couldn’t stop laughing. Every time I did I would immediately start back up again. Being with Vaughn did that to me. Unlike how I used to feel on a daily basis- my “normal” self. Slowly, though, I was coming to the realization that my “normal” self wasn’t that boring, sad, quite girl. Inside me the whole time was this fun, talkative, laughing girl, who I never knew was hiding inside of me. Vaughn brought out that person.

“Syd, are you okay?” he said, while I continued hysterically laughing for no reason at all.

“Yah, I’m fine,” I said in-between fits of laughter.

“Are you sure?” he said.

“Yah, I don’t know what is wrong with me.” I continued laughing, while Vaughn continued staring at me like I was an absolutely crazy person.

“I’m fine, seriously. Just happy,”

“Obviously,” he said, starting up the car, and pulling out of the parking spot.

I felt so giddy and spontaneous. Why not?

“Vaughn, guess what?” I said, a smile still on my face, and laughs still escaping my lips.

“What?” he said, with an amused smile on his face.

“I think I love you,” I said, turning fully around, and smiling broadly.

He turned to look at me quickly to see if I was actually serious.
“This is a great spot for this, Syd,” he said, laughing.

“Hey, it’s better than inside the party with about a thousand people surrounding us,” I said.

He was quite for a moment. Making me slightly nervous.

“So you think you love me or you really do?” he said.

“I really truly do.” That stupid, little grin still on my face.

“Well, Syd, I really truly love you too,” he said smiling.

“REALLY?”

“What, you doubted it?”

“I don’t know. I’m just so insanely happy. It’s scary.”

He shook his head, grinning.

“Oh, wait, wait, I want to do this.” I paused. “Vaughn?”

“Yah,” he said, confused.

“I love you,” I said, completely serious.

“I love you too, Syd.”

“Oh my god, how good does that sound?”

“Pretty good,” Vaughn said, taking my hand. I smiled.

Impact. Everything came crashing in around me. Darkness.

Don't you all just love cliff hangers? :devil:

~Andrea :angelic:

Back