Save The Internet

T

tasoli

The threat is real... you may make the difference between this bill passing and it not with one phone call.

List of Commerce Committee Senators

The bill is currently in the Commerce Committee, but will be heard in the Senate if it passes there. I urge you to PLEASE call and say "I am calling to show my support for Network Neutrality." 5 seconds could save the internet.

FAQ from WWW.SAVETHEINTERNET.COM

What is this about?

This is about Internet freedom. "Network Neutrality" -- the First Amendment of the Internet -- ensures that the public can view the smallest blog just as easily as the largest corporate Web site by preventing Internet companies like AT&T from rigging the playing field for only the highest-paying sites.

But Internet providers like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast are spending millions of dollars lobbying Congress to gut Net Neutrality. If Congress doesn't take action now to implement meaningful network neutrality provisions, the future of the Internet is at risk.

What is network neutrality?

Network Neutrality — or "Net Neutrality" for short — is the guiding principle that preserves the free and open Internet.

Net Neutrality ensures that all users can access the content or run the applications and devices of their choice. With Net Neutrality, the network's only job is to move data — not choose which data to privilege with higher quality service.

Net Neutrality is the reason why the Internet has driven economic innovation, democratic participation, and free speech online. It's why the Internet has become an unrivaled environment for open communications, civic involvement and free speech.

Who wants to get rid of Net Neutrality?

The nation's largest telephone and cable companies — including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner — want to be Internet gatekeepers, deciding which Web sites go fast or slow and which won't load at all.

They want to tax content providers to guarantee speedy delivery of their data. They want to discriminate in favor of their own search engines, Internet phone services, and streaming video — while slowing down or blocking their competitors.

These companies have a new vision for the Internet. Instead of an even playing field, they want to reserve express lanes for their own content and services — or those from big corporations that can afford the steep tolls — and leave the rest of us on a winding dirt road.

What's at stake?

Decisions being made now will shape the future of the Internet for a generation. Before long, all media — TV, phone and the Web — will come to your home via the same broadband connection. The dispute over Net Neutrality is about who'll control access to new and emerging technologies.

On the Internet, consumers are in ultimate control — deciding between content, applications and services available anywhere, no matter who owns the network. There's no middleman. But without Net Neutrality, the Internet will look more like cable TV. Network owners will decide which channels, content and applications are available; consumers will have to choose from their menu.

The Internet has always been driven by innovation. Web sites and services succeeded or failed on their own merit. Without Net Neutrality, decisions now made collectively by millions of users will be made in corporate boardrooms. The choice we face now is whether we can choose the content and services we want, or whether the broadband barons will choose for us.

And how would they decide which sites you can and cant visit? There are thousands of sites out there. Just leave it the way it is, greedy corporate bastards. Like they don't make enough money already. This ---- pisses me off.

Yea, I found about it a coupla days ago. The rough thought pattern that went through my head:

"WTF???? They make enough d&$* money already the f(*&ing b^&^%($!!"

"Oh wait, I need to check Fileplanet for new felgercarb today"

"But d@^$! You know, f@#$ them! Stop supporting the freaking corporations that bribe you! This d(*^ government was made for the people, by the people! No network neutrality is NOT for the people!!"

"Wait, haven't gone to Hero's Hall either... I really need to put that in the toolbar folder"

"But... GAH!!!"

(Network Neutrality FTW!)

Having worked and currently working for ISP's... you cannot be taxed on the internet for your usage. They can, pass a tax requiring ISP's to charge a type of "service tax", a one lump charge, based on your ISP's monthly charges most likely. Charging based on connection time is pointless with so many people using broadband now.

You can, and will be charged for purchasing goods online. I happen to know that both tax preparers I used in NY, and the one I just used here in AZ do ask if you have purchased any online goods, and you are supposed to admit to any purchases that you were not taxed on by the company/person(s) you bought from.

*sigh* We'll become China soon... <pictures the President saying> "NO INTERNATS FER YOU'LL PEOPLE!! You's don't need ter see that ther sicko site fulla perferated matewial!"

Don't get me on a rant about the 'net ;) I'm a fervent believer in attempting to maintain privacy, which is weird considering I have none. Someday, I'll learn to practice what I preach.

~ Jaraeth

As a firm believer that the government's only purpose is to protect the three natural freedoms - life, liberty, and property - I strongly, strongly, STRONGLY endorse any effort to not only block this bill from passing, but also get all those representatives that support it un-elected.

Republicans and Democrats should not tamper with my freedom.

Corporaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation.

I already called about this a week ago to my senator.

Back