Politics School Shootings

White_Rabbit

Mr. Trixter
I'm sure you've all heard of the recent school shooting in Minessota (forgive me If I got the name of the state wrong). As with the Columbine, Colorado incident, the shooter/victim (he was a victim as well as an attacker) was taunted and bullied. But what gets me angry is that this has happened time and time again, and still no member of the school staff pays attention to the significant details. What scares me is that they think they know the trend: taunted/bullied goth kid. But NO. I, myself and many other kids that I personally know have been made fun of and taunted (im not talking teased, i'm talking brutally verbally and sometimes even physically abused), but I would never and they would never go and shoot students and teachers, that would be crazy. So, it's not just being bullied. There should be a guidance counselor or someone who can tell that the shooters also have mental disorders or some kind of disorder, and after that it doesn't take a genius to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Now, there is a T.V. show called Degrassi, in which a student named Rick, who seemed a nice guy, would suddenly and shockingly (this is all put in cliffnotes form, mind you) abuse his girlfriend, and eventually he indirectly put her in a coma. Because of this, the girl's friends began to bully him, but it was a year after, more than a year after and they were still bullying him at school, not stopping, even after most of them had stopped, two kids woulnd't stop. It was enough; this kid obviously had PROBLEMS, and even went to the principal, who wouldn't listen and was too stubborn. The next day, after having paint and feathers dumped on him, brought a gun to school, and that day put one kid in a wheelchair for life, and ended up being shot accidentally in a struggle-for-gun fight with another student, who was trying to stop him from shooting a girl in the hallways.

That was just T.V, but after this recent real-life incident, the Columbine incident, and the countless others, people should be careful, but also not be ignorant.

Ideas? Agreements? Disagreements? Rants? Opinions?.....

The only solution is for the US to DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE GUN LAWS!!!!

We don't have these problems in other Western countries. I find it amazing that so many people in America have such easy access to guns. And the people who are all for keeping the laws as they are keep complaining about these incidents. They don't realise that by supporting the current legislation they are supporting shootings in schools. I just don't see the logic behind it, or how they can justify it. :angry:

there is a developing generation
of (for want of better terms)outcasts and misfits
who resort to violence
with weapons
if i was picked on in school
i fought to defend myself
but i never in my wildest
dreams thought of shooting
anyone to get even
i just stood up for myself
but what is it about this group
of kids who shoot?
there have now been about
8 incidents since 1997 of kids shooting up schools
who are they
and how did they come to be the way they
are and choose violence?

um, mexico city, did you read my post at ALLL?????? everyone thinks they know these kids, and they're the stubborn misfits who are sooo quick to judge without even PAYING ATTENTION.

This all stems from the culture of either you fit in, wear what everybody else is wearing, act like everybody else or you deserve to be bullied kind of attitude. And teachers and parents wonder why there is a BIG problem in American high schools with violence and gun related incidents. I knownt his because i was horribly bullied in school, and the teachers didn't/couldn't do anything about it. I'm from the UK, but i know what it is like to be bullied!

Most of the time, I would think these events arise from a delay in intervention. People may know the kids troubled, but they dont step up to stop them. I heard there was at one school a kid who had a list of "to kill" people. Other students let the admin know and well you can imagine the police and all were definitely involved after that. But imagine if no one had said anything. What would happen then? Another incident similar to those that have already occurred could just as easily take place, could it not?

WEll that was my two cents...for now.

great pieces in today's christian science monitor, new york times and the guardian about the shooter and his story and the larger problem of school shootings
and the point about intervention is well taken
surely all these kids sent signals in advance
and no one acted

Back