Sci-Fi Channel Destroying Definition Of Science Fiction

I think SyFy is trying, one of the things I like is when they do blocks of shows, like this Labor Day, they are showing Ghost Whisperer in a block, now that's not a show I normally watch, but hey, Jennifer love Hewitt has been in the news recently and why not see what all the fuss is about?

Why are you surprised that women are into sci-fi? Lots of women are into it. At least the ones with intelligence. I've been watching them ALL of my life. In fact I agree that the Sci-fi station has become WAY too watered down. Used to be that you could turn it on and find a TNG almost anytime you wanted. Or Dr Who, etc but they have seemed to forgotten who their audience is. They need to get the horror movies and B rated movies off and return to their roots.

I think you're thinking of a different channel. Syfy (Sci Fi Channel) first acquired rights to TNG in 2008. Prior to that it was not broadcast on the channel.

Whoops, sorry, didn't realize it was a sat' dish only network. :eek: Before we got DirecTV we only had analog cable so I don't have a reference as to what channels are commonly carried by the digital cable providers.

If nothing else, being able to record & watch all of Kolchak is worth it to me. :D

Did you go through Dish1up for your satellite service? I used to have cable, then I went to dish, but I like Direct the best of the three. The reason I asked is I have found Dish1up very easy to work with. And I was wondering if you had gone through them as well?

Wow! I was totally rambling. But back to the subject at hand... I agree... the sci-fi Chanel is ok, but they used to show Dr Who and other great sci-fi shows. But no anymore. I didn't know the BBC was showing them now. When is Dr Who on?

the sci-fi Chanel is ok, but they used to show Dr Who and other great sci-fi shows. But no anymore. I didn't know the BBC was showing them now. When is Dr Who on?
It's on this week, actually. They're now showing the new episodes pretty much the same time they're broadcast in the UK.

That's why Syfy doesn't show Doctor Who anymore. BBC America is broadcasting it -- keeping the revenue in the family.

It's on this week, actually. They're now showing the new episodes pretty much the same time they're broadcast in the UK.

That's why Syfy doesn't show Doctor Who anymore. BBC America is broadcasting it -- keeping the revenue in the family.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to look for it.

And that's a little phenomenon called "network decay." It's only noticeable over a decade or so, but nerd rage is one of the worst rages known to rage.

But it is nice to know that they're willing to explore "alternative" works of science and fantasy fiction. I'm really quite tired by the numerous Star Trek/Star Wars clones and I'm in the mood for something more gritty and postmodern.

Maybe someday they'll have a movie about underground vampire and werewolf politics, and a peaceful coexistence between vampires and werewolves who later team up to fight off the bigoted humans.

Fun Fact: "syfy" is Polish slang for syphilis. As in the STD that eventually deforms you into something that would make the Elephant Man run away screaming.

Back