Movies Sci-Fi Flicks Lose The "Fi"

Azdel

Cadet
Ever see one of those scenes where somebody's being chased through a corridor by a swarm of small robots crawling all over the walls and ceiling? Guess what we'll be dealing with several years from now:

Swarmanoid robot project foreshadows certain robotic takeover | Engadget

Now, boys and girls, can you say: "SWEET MOTHER OF GOD ON A STICK WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"? No? Well, you had better learn now, because you'll be needing that phrase pretty soon.

But anyway, I actually find this pretty disappointing. I always thought I would be the one to destroy the world... <SIGH> :(

Yeah, those two bots in the picture sure look scary. I bet my grandma could out run them. I have a feeling we a far from a global take-over by robots.

Evran said:
Yeah, those two bots in the picture sure look scary. I bet my grandma could out run them. I have a feeling we a far from a global take-over by robots.

It's not those robots you need to worry about.

It's the AI that makes improvements to itself. Here's a step in that direction.

Whiole impressive that is still not that scary. A human still has to create the single 'high-level problem statement' that the AI would create a program solution for solving it. If you look at the 36 instances that this has produced desirable results, they are very specific mathematic or scientific applications. In order for an AI to, in effect, reproduce and develop actual intelligence, us humans would have to create an incredibly complex problem statement. A statement which, in all likelihood, would be be nearly as daunting and complex a task as creating an AI in the first place.

I repeat my original claim that we a very far from a global takeover by robots.

Evran said:
Whiole impressive that is still not that scary. A human still has to create the single 'high-level problem statement' that the AI would create a program solution for solving it. If you look at the 36 instances that this has produced desirable results, they are very specific mathematic or scientific applications. In order for an AI to, in effect, reproduce and develop actual intelligence, us humans would have to create an incredibly complex problem statement. A statement which, in all likelihood, would be be nearly as daunting and complex a task as creating an AI in the first place.

Now hang on a moment. I'm no trekkie, but I've seen a couple episodes and I seem to recall something about Kirk defeating an evil robot by presenting it with a tough logic problem. So if this new AI will only benefit from something like that, what can we do to defend ourselves?

Heh, make sure the robots don't see that episode of Star Trek? ;)

Not saying that self-reproducing and highly intelligent AI is not possible, just that genetic programming and other AI systems are not at that point yet. Current AI systems, including the ones above, still rely too much on human input to be a threat in the near future.

And who says that if a robot was intelligent it would destroy humans, anyway? This is all nothing more than fantastical speculation. :D

Ever see one of those scenes where somebody's being chased through a corridor by a swarm of small robots crawling all over the walls and ceiling? Guess what we'll be dealing with several years from now:

Swarmanoid robot project foreshadows certain robotic takeover

Now, boys and girls, can you say: "SWEET MOTHER OF GOD ON A STICK WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"? No? Well, you had better learn now, because you'll be needing that phrase pretty soon.

But anyway, I actually find this pretty disappointing. I always thought I would be the one to destroy the world... <SIGH> :(

That's the Replicators in the SG-1 and SG Atlantis Series. Nano. Why didn't an EMP work?? What powers those critters?

Darwinian adaptation and diversification theoretically proves the future of quantum computers will provide the tesserae of biomechanics that unite the universe with life or viceversa proving that the only possible way to explore the universe is with A.I. speaking of which I agree, that place where film can’t even bounce in an grand unified Bang would keep an eye out if homosapien’s technicality is incapable of remaining in the cradle of civilization or fizzles out due to Fermi paradox demise, righteousness of yin and yang, any project that acknowledges the accomplishments before the cessation of a following effort may have already laid the foundation for robotics in body, mind, soul, emotions, and homeostasis a stabilizer for epi-genetic crispen cass-9. Trans-Human morphogenesis and migratory tattoos.

Back