Science Help

were you given any charts? cause there are these charts, forget what they are called but they tell you whether a certain compound can be broken up by a certain element. I can't really help cause I can't find my notes and cause I don't remember...but wait I might have the pdf file my teacher sent my class on this...would that help?

yeah, same here...I remember the stuff I just can't go into detail...which is stupid of me cause I am taking chem again this year.

I meant if there was a single/double displacement reaction to occur...I remember the name of the chart, this one is for double displacment though, but it's called the solubility chart. and for single displacement it is basically a huge arrow the has the most reactive metals on the top and the least reactive on the bottom. those two things might help you out.

Okay, write out the chemcial forumula for all of the compounds. For single displacement reactions, you'll need a reactivity series. For double displacement you need an ionization chart... (or wait is that what it's called? :thinking: ) But I think these arn't meant to be difficult.

Synthesis is reactions where smaller molecuels are used to build a bigger molecule:
A + B --> AB

Decomp. is when a bigger molecule is broke down into smaller ones:
AB --> A + B
Single displacement are reactions where one element(usually a non metal) is displaced from a compound by another element (another non metal) Where AB + C --> AC + B

Double Displacement is when the compounds "switch partners"
AB + CD --> AD + CB

ie:
1. magnesium bromide + chlorine ---->> magnesium chloride + bromine

MgBr2 + Cl2 ---->> MgCl2 + Br2 is a single displacement reaction because chlorien displaced the bromine

3. Silver Nitrate + zinc chloride

AgNO3 + ZnCl2 --> AgCl + Zn(NO3)2 is a double displacement rxn because they switched partners, and so on. Get it?

ETA:

but it's called the solubility chart.

YES! that's what's that thing's called solubility rules!

The single displacement rxns thing is called the reactivity series. ;)

-_mandy :angelic:

Predict the products of the reactions below. Then, write the balanced equation and classify the reactions (Synthetic, Decomposition, Single replacement/displacement, or Double replacement/displancement)
I'm confused, here's how we did the first one in class:

1. magnesium bromide + chlorine ---->> magnesium chloride + bromine

MgBr2 + Cl2 ---->> MgCl2 + Br2

3. Silver Nitrate + zinc chloride

5. zinc + hydrochloric acid

6. Sulfuric acid + sodium hydroxide

7. sodium + hydrogen

8. acetic acid + copper
I can't help you with all these, but we did just take a test on this stuff about two/three weeks ago.

I know 5 (zinc + hydrocholric acid) is a single displacement. We acually performed that lab. It's a little odd that they expect you to just know these. :blink: When we did similar things, we were given the whole reaction and asked to provide what type (synthesis, decompostion, single-displacement or double-displacement). Or we were given the whole rection and asked to identify the reactants or products.

Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

hello all!!!
I have question about chemistry....and I get nothing (n)

A solution is prepared by mixing TINO3, AgNO3 and NaI. This solution is saturated with respect to both TlI and AgI.
a). if the concentration of Tl+ is found to be 3.8x10^-4 M, what is the concentration of I-?
(Ksp TlI = 4.0x10^-8, Ksp AgI=8.3x10^-17)
b)What is the concentration of Ag+?

Oooh we're not there yet! We're not even on equalibrium. :thud: btw, just out of curiosity, what textbook do you use for chem?
--mandy :angelic:

I don't use it....that much, I will when I have problems but not so much now....ummm it's pink and purple and has a holograph of sodium reacting. The guy who wrote it is Chang, I can't remember his first name. I don't have it with me right now but if you want the name of it I can get it for you.

I don't use it....that much, I will when I have problems but not so much now....ummm it's pink and purple and has a holograph of sodium reacting. The guy who wrote it is Chang, I can't remember his first name. I don't have it with me right now but if you want the name of it I can get it for you.
No, I was just curious. ;)
--Mandy :angelic:

The joyful time of finals has arrived and my teacher has decided to do a chapter a day ( :thud: ) AND assign our exam review packet. So here I am with a question or two and sincere gratitude for those who assist me.

The question on the review packet says, "Recognize possible reasons for the abundance of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere." Now, I found a section in my textbook that talks about the atmosphere and oxygen, but nothing about CO2. So I'm clueless, especially since my teacher decided not to discuss this chapter in class.

Any and all assistance is EXTREMELY appreciated since it will probably help me pass this course and get me high school credit early. Thank you.

reason for high abundance for CO2?

a LOT of cars. anything that comes out of the exhuast pip of the car = lots and lots of carbon dioxide.

lack of trees: trees turn CO2 back into O2, with deforestation going like crazy, killing large forests (ie the Amazon, which is pretty much the largest oxygen producing forest in the world) doesn't increase CO2 but doesn't help decrease the amount in the atmosphere and as we keep on producing CO2 it builds up.

factory emission: same as car emission

Ummm that's all I can think of now.... I'll come back later if I remember anything lol

hello everyone,
I have a test tomorrow for bio...and physics...and geometry...but anyways, does anyone know anything about evolution, mainly on darwin's theories and evolution of man..

for physics: does anyone know anything about lightwaves?

thanks.

hello everyone,
I have a test tomorrow for bio...and physics...and geometry...but anyways, does anyone know anything about evolution, mainly on darwin's theories and evolution of man..

for physics: does anyone know anything about lightwaves?

thanks.
Uhh I can tell you a little about evolution but i'm afraid you already had your test. :blink:

Back