Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice

Tom

An Old Friend
Scientists cure cancer, but no one takes notice -- Sott.net

Canadian researchers find a simple cure for cancer, but major pharmaceutical companies are not interested.

This drug doesn't require a patent, so anyone can employ it widely and cheaply compared to the costly cancer drugs produced by major pharmaceutical companies.

Pharmaceutical companies are not investing in this research because DCA method cannot be patented, without a patent they can't make money, like they are doing now with their AIDS Patent.

it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells and left the healthy cells alone.

The language usage on one of the sites listed is suspect: http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2010-05-12_Update.cfm

In the 5 patients tested, the drug took 3 months to reach blood levels high enough to alter the tumor's metabolism. At those levels, there were no significant adverse effects. However, at some of the higher doses tested, DCA caused nerve malfunction, i.e. numbing of toes and fingers. Importantly, in some patients there was also evidence for clinical benefit, with the tumors either regressing in size or not growing further during the 18 month study.

Sentence ordering is problematic to start with.

"in some patients" There were only 5 !!!! This is a red flag to academic integrity to any reader surely?

Second hand sources adding to supposed quotes of researchers. I can't hold much stead by this research till they are academically comprehensive in a report.

Metabolic Modulation of Glioblastoma with Dichloroacetate | Science Translational Medicine

Abstract

Solid tumors, including the aggressive primary brain cancer glioblastoma multiforme, develop resistance to cell death, in part as a result of a switch from mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation to cytoplasmic glycolysis. This metabolic remodeling is accompanied by mitochondrial hyperpolarization. We tested whether the small-molecule and orphan drug dichloroacetate (DCA) can reverse this cancer-specific metabolic and mitochondrial remodeling in glioblastoma. Freshly isolated glioblastomas from 49 patients showed mitochondrial hyperpolarization, which was rapidly reversed by DCA. In a separate experiment with five patients who had glioblastoma, we prospectively secured baseline and serial tumor tissue, developed patient-specific cell lines of glioblastoma and putative glioblastoma stem cells (CD133+, nestin+ cells), and treated each patient with oral DCA for up to 15 months. DCA depolarized mitochondria, increased mitochondrial reactive oxygen species, and induced apoptosis in GBM cells, as well as in putative GBM stem cells, both in vitro and in vivo. DCA therapy also inhibited the hypoxia-inducible factor–1α, promoted p53 activation, and suppressed angiogenesis both in vivo and in vitro. The dose-limiting toxicity was a dose-dependent, reversible peripheral neuropathy, and there was no hematologic, hepatic, renal, or cardiac toxicity. Indications of clinical efficacy were present at a dose that did not cause peripheral neuropathy and at serum concentrations of DCA sufficient to inhibit the target enzyme of DCA, pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase II, which was highly expressed in all glioblastomas. Metabolic modulation may be a viable therapeutic approach in the treatment of glioblastoma.

Footnotes

• Citation: E. D. Michelakis, G. Sutendra, P. Dromparis, L. Webster, A. Haromy, E. Niven, C. Maguire, T.-L. Gammer, J. R. Mackey, D. Fulton, B. Abdulkarim, M. S. McMurtry, K. C. Petruk, Metabolic modulation of glioblastoma with dichloroacetate. Sci. Transl. Med. 2, 31ra34 (2010).

The language usage on one of the sites listed is suspect: http://www.dca.med.ualberta.ca/Home/Updates/2010-05-12_Update.cfm

Sentence ordering is problematic to start with.

"in some patients" There were only 5 !!!! This is a red flag to academic integrity to any reader surely?

Second hand sources adding to supposed quotes of researchers. I can't hold much stead by this research till they are academically comprehensive in a report.

Freshly isolated glioblastomas from 49 patients showed mitochondrial hyperpolarization, which was rapidly reversed by DCA. In a separate experiment with five patients who had glioblastoma

This statement is from the source that your source quoted which is also the actual published paper.

There are many forms of Cancer. DCA may only cure some forms but isnt that significant? This research is only in its infancy. Who is to say this isnt a breakthru to a cure for ALL cancer in the future. DCA means it can be done - without terrible side effects and in a relatively inexpensive way.
The article I posted was not a scientific breakthru article. It was an article about humanity and how money is more important than human life. We can all identify science fiction stories where greed is more important than the cure. Here is a real life example.

If the drug companies were interested in benefiting mankind, there would be plenty of funding available to see this research thru. Humanity will never suceed unless it can learn how to think beyond the monetary mindset. This is yet another example of money getting in the way. :mad:

you have one perspective on the money living in America that is radically different from us in England though. we have the NHS, you have private for-profit healthcare.

Cancer being so large a medical issue and a heavy cost wherever we both live, you'd think a government like mine would jump all over this and use it to reduce the cost of healthcare.

We don't have the lobbying situation you have in certain areas that we all have to admit is a sorry situation. Where it affects us is pretty bad, but shouldn't be hitting healthcare.

I think we need a doctor from a country with a state healthcare system with access to the research to comment on this particular issue. Figure out where it is at, if the writers of these pieces are bending the truth and get to the bottom of it.

Earlier i saw a new anti-fluoride film is doing the rounds. I may have to watch it to check its academic integrity. No doubt it'll hit david icke's site at some point, the one stop shop for urban myths and conspiracies :smiley: his followers have even linked to one of my youtube uploaded vids to prove a point recently, which was freaky.

What I find interesting is that this research is being done in Canada. They have universal healthcare but there is not mega-funding available. Funding might be available if the drug companies can profit off it somehow. That is sad.
I do believe if the media allows the word to spread funding will be granted by individuals, likely super rich Cancer patients or their loved ones. Greed is at every level of society. Humanity has the technology to feed the world, produce fresh water, educate, clothe and medicate. Those with the money are too afraid to part with it. How much money does any one person need? How much profit must a corporation make before it realizes its need for greed? Granted, The funding also pays pretty nice salaries for the researchers. None of them are working for free.
When there is a breakdown of the system, and it will break, will that aquired wealth save society or be its downfall? Sounds like a dystopia movie being made.

One fact springs to mind where the drugs industry are, and it pretty much made an episode of the West Wing:

The 'Dollar a Day' AIDS drugs available to third world countries.

In a capitalist world we price things to what people are prepared to pay. People are pushed to make money as entrepreneurs. But you only get one life and should you be spending it doing something meaningful, even though those around you scorn what you do, as they snap up everything they can afford that advertising tells them will make their life better.

Imagine what would happen if people who were so rich they couldn't possibly spend their money decided to fund medical research into low cost effective situations and then brought cheap drugs and treatment to the world? Funded education schemes that raised people out of dumb poverty. Instead of society being slowed and constrained, development held to ransom by those wanting to make pure profits and not seeking cheaper ways of doing things, to be viewed as something 'special' and 'hi-tech'.

Altruism is dying a death.