SciFi-Hailing Frequencies Excerpt

Tom

An Old Friend
Hailing Frequencies from Julia Houston

The show starts back up this week (whee!) and TrekWeb has an interview up with executive producer and former DS9 writer Ira Steven Behr. Here's a bit:

In the opening episode "Wake Up call", 4400 philanthropist Jordan Collier (Billy Campbell) has joined with other returnees to found a "4400 center," a development that Behr explains will set the stage for a spiritual exploration of the 4400 and their situation this year.

"The 4400 are stepping forward and [have] a chance to unite everyone to help prevent this catastrophe from happening in the future, and it certainly deals the 4400 a question of faith and it has a quasi-religious feel to it," he says. "I think that the 4400 as an entity is incredibly interesting. One of the things that we want to do is allow the audience to make their own judgment about the 4400. We really made [them] into a very public movement, reaching out into the community and asking you to join with them in finding the '4400 ability within you' -- because they're all human beings like us. They've been studied and they don't have nannites in their system or any kind of 'tech'," (an oblique reference to the phrase that notoriously doomed many STAR TREK scripts), "that would make them different than you or I and so it's just an evolution, it seems, an accelerated evolution, of the human mind, the human species. The idea that we all have this ability within us if we can find it, is I think going to polarize the world in terms of the show and give the fans a lot to chew on.

Anyone Going to watch this? I missed the first one, I'm afraid I'm going to come in on the middle if I watch this one first. For that reason I will likely NOT watch this one until I get to watch the first one.

NEWS BITS

* SCI FI Wire has a good article up on Alan Gardner and his "east meets west" novel, Radiant.
* Check out the trailer for Save the Green Planet, then tell me what the hell it is.
* The Crow: Wicked Prayer premieres June 3, 2005 at the AMC Pacific Place Theatre in Seattle, Washington, then will screen wider a week later before being released on DVD July 19th.
* Smallville is moving to Thursdays at 8 PM.
* Sin City 2 should start production January 2006. No script or cast news yet.
TOP SCI-FI/FANTASY BOOKS, Amazon - 5/20/05

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2. Black Rose (In the Garden)
3. The Da Vinci Code
4. Eldest (Inheritance 2)
5. Star Wars: Episode III
6. The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl 4)
7. Angels and Demons
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
9. The Time Traveler's Wife
10. The Five People You Meet in Heaven
TOP SF/F SYNDICATED SHOWS, NGR, 5/2 - 5/8/05

1. Stargate SG-1 1.7
2. Andromeda 1.5
3. She Spies 1.5
4. Twilight Zone 1.3
5. Mutant X 1.2
6. The Outer Limits 1.2
7. The X-Files 1.2
8. Angel 1.1
9. Buffy 1.1
10. Ripley's 0.8

Thanx Julia!

skwirlinator said:
Anyone Going to watch this? I missed the first one, I'm afraid I'm going to come in on the middle if I watch this one first. For that reason I will likely NOT watch this one until I get to watch the first one.
I caught parts of the first one but I felt it was too slow moving. I'll most likely watch episodes of the new seasons but it won't be a 'must watch' show for me.

this show wasn't really one for scifi fans, more for mass audiences. the advertising campaign in the UK was stupendous, without actually giving much away. then when you watched the series, slow moving isn't an adequate description for it!!!!

i predict viewing audiences for the second series of it to be far, far lower than the first. but you can never be sure with mass advertising campaigns. even the official website stayed the same for a year before they have finally added some small new info to it, maybe suggesting even the networks couldn't decide if it was a turkey or not.

http://www.tvtome.com/4400/season2.html season 2 listings (3 eps described to date)

I didn't watch the first one because of my work schedule. I probably won't watch the next one because of the reviews I've read on the first one. Someday I imagine I'll catch them both. I read the newsgroups for the scifi channel on Outlook express and I've scanned the subject on the bb at scifi . com and I really don't care if I miss it or not. I was kinda wondering if anyone here had an argument 'For' viewing it. Seems to me its a general consensus that it sux.

okay, i watched the first ep of the second series.

the rubbish music is still there, the slowness of the filming. but some scenes are better. moving at a better pace, more science fiction, some better soundtrack at the right places.

i'd say that it still isn't better than average now, but is 50% better than the last series. and i'd give the last series a 3 or 4 out of 10 for filming style/storyline.

we'll see if this second series continues like the first ep or gets better

watched this seasons second episode. back to episodes of General Hospital i'm afraid, it was quite quite bad. the acting was bad, the music was bad, the direction was bad, the storyline was bad.

now, we can't not watch it, so if we have to suffer through the series to the end, so be it.

KW802 said:
Suzanna, welcome to Cool SciFi! :welcome:

So what are your thoughts on The 4400?

Hi!

I came across the show by accident, wandering through Virgin and finding the season 1 DVD set. The whole premise appealed to me and I watched it and was hooked.

They seem to be introducing a lot of new characters in season two though and I hope when the entire eps are shown, that we still get enough time for indepth looks at the core cast. I'd love to know what happened to Orson Bailey, because he just seems to have disappeared. There's no mention of him in spoilers so far.

Suzanna

Does it have a different feel on DVD? The few episodes I watched of season 1 when it aired just felt too slow for me, kind of like how the last two Star Wars movies were really just building up to the current one.

I think I'm about to go on my 'end-of-season-DVD-shopping' trip and pick up a few shows. I know I want to pick up Lost when it become available.... everybody was recommending I watch it but I never seemed to be home on the right night... and am making my list of what else to pick up. The last season of Enterprise looks like it'd be worth watching as well.

I thought it was a bit slow to begin with and I think I watched the first ep and then didn't watch the others for a few day's. Usually if I really like a show, I'll watch them one after the other.

I haven't even watched Lost, but like you have to take a wander and pick up some DVD's on various show's. The only show I really watched was Stargate SG1.

Stargate SG1 is a must for me. I'm already making plans of being home on July 15.... the new season of both SG1 and BSG on the same night.

oh no! you just started the clock in my head ticking on a countdown to SG1 showing again.

why oh why oh why oh hy, did you bring it up? i was trying to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when it came back on air :smiley:

i'm too old to be trapped with that feeling of a kid on xmas eve trying to get some sleep!

Back