Kevin

Code Monkey
Staff member
Title: Scream: The TV Series

Genre: Drama, Crime, Mystery

First aired: 2015-06-30

Creator: Jill E. Blotevogel, Jay Beattie, Dan Dworkin

Cast: RJ Cyler, Jessica Sula, Keke Palmer, Giorgia Whigham, Tyga

Overview: What starts as a YouTube video going viral, soon leads to problems for the teenagers of Lakewood and serves as the catalyst for a murder that opens up a window to the town's troubled past. Everyone has secrets. Everyone tells lies. Everyone is fair game.
Scream: The TV Series

MTV... yes, MTV, the channel that used to play music videos... is planning on adapting the Scream move franchise to a TV series. The show, currently being developed as a pilot, will be produced by MTV and Weinsteins' Dimension TV.

The characters being cast so far include...
  • Audrey Jensen = Loner daughter of a pastor and wants to be a filmmaker.
  • Emma Duval = Beauty who chooses the “in crowd” over her childhood best friend, Audrey.
  • Noah Foster = Computer genius with a vast knowledge of pop culture & tech, is best friends with Audrey.
  • Brooke Maddox = Charismatic leader of the popular group.
  • Kieran Wilcox = New kid in town who has a dark side with a tough exterior.

potentially interesting. probly chock full of foul language and nudity. viewers might think it another 'reality' show.

First up I wasn't as impressed by the original movie Scream movie as most people were, it was pretty much a standard slasher for mine though it did bring into vogue the terms "post modernist" and "meta", unfortunately the multitude of Reviewers using the terms would seem to have no fracking idea of what they actually meant, but like they read them in other reviews hence solid as gold.

Which brings us to the television series, and the pilot. First up the pilot broke one of the cardinal rules of horror, the audience have to like or at least identify with one of the characters, I found every single character in the pilot irritating and am hoping "ghostface" slaughters the lot in particularly gory fashion.

The mask has changed, the original was pretty hokey but vers. 2.0 just looks dumb.

Hopefully the series finds its feet sometime during the next three episodes, but given the pilot I think that won't be happening.

Episode 3 is the game changer folks, seriously taking no prisoners with a likeable character meeting their end.

Have my own theories on who the killer is, no not the obvious, I'm currently nominating the geeky guy as the killer has a lot of tech ability and knowledge. Naturally this will be a red herring.

First up I wasn't as impressed by the original movie Scream movie as most people were, it was pretty much a standard slasher for mine though it did bring into vogue the terms "post modernist" and "meta", unfortunately the multitude of Reviewers using the terms would seem to have no fracking idea of what they actually meant, but like they read them in other reviews hence solid as gold.
The original Scream movie was novel for its time. By the time its various sequels were made there was so many similar movies that the sequels ended up being nearly a parody of the original.

Kev like Blair Witch a lot of people were talking "new" etc having either forgotten or having no knowledge of prior movies that tramped the same ground. In the case of BW there was Cannibal Holocaust and a couple of Brit entries that used "found footage" to ramp the scares. And if anyone can remember the name of the Brit TV movie that supposedly went live to events I would be eternally grateful.

In terms of Scream the Brits were there with a comedy doing a "house that dripped blood" thing that sent up horror tropes, you Americans already did movies like Saturday the 14th that memorably had an antagonist using a law mower!

Can't remember the Aussie/Kiwi movie, but centered around a haunted house with a teenager spouting off horror tropes such as "sure it's cheap, gateway to hell or home of a mass murdered", released well before Scream.

By the way "post modernist" worked in the art world as there was a "modernist" school of art, uhmm nope when it comes to horror.

Episodes 4 & 5 have me back wondering why I'm watching this series. To be honest the only likable characters left are the Geek guy and his bi-sexual BFF. Two episodes folks without additional bodies being added to the total, is Ghostface on Holidays? This is a slasher right, and its not like there isn't a massive cast of douches to eliminate that no one is going to miss?

With the network ordering a second season we expect things to improve, though got to say the show is skating on thing ice. Anyone really give a toss about the massive list of suspects? Still think it's the Geek dude myself, but hey apparently I won't see it coming.

I'm still going with this one as have no idea who the killer is! There's at least five candidates, with one of them having to be the killer if it ties in with the original concept for Scream.

There's some hip references going down, one to Dextor had me grinning in the latest episode!

About half the episodes are decent viewing, the other half are filler or poorly conceived plot devices.

Am intrigued to find out who is behind the mask, sure to be a shock revelation - female perhaps?, so will keep going to the bitter end.

Episode nine, Dance, proved to be something of a misfire for mine - mainly cause I have zero interest in the lead characters, but hey final episode next week when all will be revealed.

Our panel have come down on the theory it's a duo operating in Scream fashion and have nominated Piper and Jake working in tandem, though I'm not beyond implicating Noah and Audrey. Will we be right? As DF put it, who really cares, yeap one of those shows that really has failed to ignite in any meaningful way.

Am really getting irritated by MTV's little messages throughout every episode, no I'm not going to hit twitter with every single show hashtag, no I don't care which song is playing. I can get that from the credits.

Final episode promises to be a hoot, now how disappointing can it be!

Okay final episode while fun proved to be a disappointment. We correctly picked one of the antagonists, unmasked in the episode, but no news on the other which will no doubt be the focus in season 2. Overall three great episodes, a few not so bad, and at least three absolutely terrible.

Questions I have going into season 2 is where is the body in the lake and what is Audrey's interest in Brandon?

Worth a look kids, but don't expect anything outstanding.