Not open for further replies.
DGSE-analyst said:
No problem Mandy :lol: glad you're less stuck on your homework :hug:

What did you have for dinner?
[post="1070225"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

chinese food. :P :lol:
--mandy :angelic:

5x5 said:
Awww, I really don't like that :sadangel:.  He really depresses me.  :( And don't worry!  I'll be around earlier in the day.  I'm leaving here at 6 pm (midnight your time).  We've got a babysitter!  :woot:  :woot:

I haven't been at SD-1 in a while, actually.  I've been talking to prime! :throb:  :lol:

ETA: :eek:ldhi: Mandy:eek:ldhi: LisE:hug: :love:
[post="1070224"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I'm really happy for you :woot: :woot: What are you going to do? :D

And Yay for babysitter of all counrties... :lol: :P

ETA: :eek:ldhi: Lise :hug:

<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>I know that i take a risk, but i have to try...</span> :thinking:

LisE said:
Happy Birthday Kiwi!!  Hope you had a great day.

:eek:ldhi: to everyone as well!

5x5! :hug: :love:  How are you today?
[post="1070230"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Pretty good! I went on a cleaning frenzy this morning, because I thought my friend's mom was coming to visit. We still haven't heard from her, though. :rolleyes: I had a good afternoon with prime, and now I'm making dinner.

DGSE-analyst said:
I'm really happy for you :woot:  :woot: What are you going to do? :D

And Yay for babysitter of all counrties... :lol:  :P

ETA: :eek:ldhi: Lise :hug:

<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>I know that i take a risk, but i have to try...</span> :thinking:
[post="1070235"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol:

We are going to a meeting! Romantic, eh? :lol: We need to go to the neighborhood kindergarten forum, so we can decide where lil 5x5 will go to elementary school.

After that, we're going out for dinner and drinks. I can't wait! :woot: :woot:

ETA:
I looooove chinese food and thailandese (sp?) food too...

But i can't eat japanese food, raw fish makes me throw off...
I just love you, DGSE! You make me :lol: all the time. And because it is now my mission to correct your English, it's Thai food and throw up. :lol: :hug:

5x5 said:
ETA: 
I just love you, DGSE!  You make me  :lol: all the time.  And because it is now my mission to correct your English, it's Thai food and throw up.  :lol:  :hug:
[post="1070242"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

:lol: thank you !!

I've said throw off for the last 12 months... :Pinch: :rolleyes: :lol:

Your planning for tomorrow doesn't sound too bad... :D Which reminds me that i go to Paris tomorrow night for Beaujolais nouveau's day :lol: :cheers:

DGSE-analyst said:
:lol: thank you !!

I've said throw off for the last 12 months... :Pinch: :rolleyes:  :lol:

Your planning for tomorrow doesn't sound too bad... :D Which reminds me that i go to Paris tomorrow night for Beaujolais nouveau's day :lol: :cheers:
[post="1070249"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

What does Beaujolais nouveau translate as, DGSE? My rusty high school French wants to say something like goodplayer new? :lol: :blush: Wow, it's been a long time since I tried to read French.

:lol: thank you for asking :P :lol:

Beaujolais is a region of France and the name of a sort of wine (of course... :D ) and each third thursday of november the new Beaujolais (a young wine, it means that it's not kept to age in caves) comes out and we make parties... and we drink it :lol: :cheers:
So i'm gonna go in a bar with my best friend in the center of Paris and drink wine and eat saucisson which is dry pork sausage... yummy :D

DGSE-analyst said:
:lol: thank you for asking :P  :lol:

Beaujolais is a region of France and the name of a sort of wine (of course... :D ) and each third thursday of november the new Beaujolais (a young wine, it means that it's not kept to age in caves) comes out and we make parties... and we drink it :lol: :cheers:
[post="1070265"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Thank you for sharing! :P :lol:

I knew it had to do with wine, as beaujolais is one of the only wines I like. :lol:

Okay, I'm off to dinner...back later! :hi:

Hi! I had to this afternoon compensate for my staying up too late last night (but I was trying to do a nice thing; I was importing some smilies from SD-1.Net over to here to make a birthday wish for Kiwi; :bag: <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>but then I did stay up longer than that and continue to play with smilies . . . :blush:</span> )
anyway, so the mouse slept less than 5 hours last night, and mousies don't do well on that kind of functioning . . . so a nap :yawn: occurred for about 3 hours late in the morning and early in the afternoon . . . :asleep: .
Then I woke up and listened to TV; then I got up and waddled to the computer to play . . .
but, then, I got to read a story about Lost!! (Though it was the same story that I had read a day ago . . .)
and, then I received a wonderful IM message, so I got to visit . . .
but my IM buddy had to go to school (not before we had a lovely discussion about making cookie dough, and then about eating cookie dough . . . so I had to of course go eat some . . . cookies . . . )
but I got disconnected from the internet a couple of times . . . :(
but I was able to reconnect to the internet . . . :woot:
and, now, get caught up on our visiting!! :hug:

May we have a new thread? It's fun to get to have new threads . . . look at how long it's been since we got to have the picture of the Genie and his flying carpet . . . (n)

Can somone check for tenses? My chem teacher takes off marks for incorrect tenses. :hmm:

Creating an Activity Series of Metals

Purpose:

To determine an activity series for a number of metals

Materials:

 32 test tubes
 Test tube rack
 5 pieces of copper
 5 pieces of magnesium
 5 pieces of Tin
 6 pieces of Zinc
 5 pieces of Iron
 6 pieces of Steel
 Diluted Hydrochloric Acid
 Water
 Copper (II) Sulfate (CuSO4)
 Iron (II) Chloride (FeCl2)
 Magnesium Nitrate (Mg(NO3) 2)
 Tin (II) Chloride (SnCl2)

Procedure:

1) Six pieces of Zinc were distributed and placed in their own test tubes
2) Diluted Hydrochloric Acid, Water, cooper (II) Sulfate, Irion (II) Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate and Tin (II) Chloride were poured into 6 different test tubes containing the Zinc metals. Enough was poured so that the solution covered the metal.
3) Reactions were observed and recorded.
4) Reactions of other metal-metal solution reactions were recorded from the blackboard.
5) The metals and the solutions were disposed of into a chemical waste jug.

Observations: See Table1

Analysis:

Cu(s) + HCl(aq) → no reaction
Cu(s) + H2O(aq) → no reaction
Cu(s) + FeCl2(aq) → no reaction
Cu (s)+ Mg(NO3) 2(aq) → no reaction
Cu (s)+ SnCl2(aq) → no reaction

Mg(s) + 2HCl(aq) → H2(g) + MgCl2(aq)
Mg(s) + H2O(aq) → no reaction
Mg(s) + CuSO4(aq) → Cu(s) + MgSO4(aq)
Mg(s) + FeCl2(aq) → Fe(s) + MgCl2(aq)
Mg(s) + SnCl2(aq) → Sn(s) + MgCl2(aq)

Sn(s) + HCl(aq) → no reaction
Sn(s) + H2O(aq) → no reaction
Sn(s) + CuSO4(aq) → Cu(s) + SnSO4(aq)
Sn(s) + FeCl2(aq) → no reaction
Sn(s) + Mg(NO3) 2(aq) → no reaction

Zn(s) + 2HCl(aq) → + H2(g) + ZnCl2(aq)
Zn(s) + H2O(aq) → no reaction
Zn(s) + CuSO4(aq) → Cu(s) + ZnSO4(aq)
Zn(s) + FeCl2(aq) → no reaction
Zn(s) + Mg(NO3) 2(aq) → no reaction
Zn(s) + SnCl2(aq) → Sn(s) + ZnCl2(aq)

Fe(s) + 2HCl(aq) → H2(g) + FeCl2(aq)
Fe(s) + H2O(aq) → no reaction
Fe(s) + CuSO4(aq) → Cu(s) + FeSO4(aq)
Fe(s) + Mg(NO3) 2(aq) → no reaction
Fe(s) + SnCl2(aq) → Sn(s) + FeCl2(aq)

Activity Series obtained from observations:

Magnesium Most reactive
Iron
Zinc
Hydrogen
Tin
Copper Least reactive

An actual activity series is as follows (1):

Cesium Most Reactive
Lithium
Rubidium
Potassium
Barium
Strontium
Calcium
Sodium
Magnesium
Aluminum
Manganese
Zinc
Chromium
Iron
Cadmium
Cobalt
Tin
Lead
HYDROGEN
Copper
Silver
Mercury
Platinum
Gold Least Reactive

Discussion:

According to the observations, Magnesium was the most reactive metal because it reacted with all of the solutions except for water (which reacted with none of the metals) and no metals reacted with the Magnesium Nitrate solution. The second most reactive metal was Iron because it reacted with everything except for water and the Magnesium solution, because magnesium was more reactive, hence it could not dispel the Magnesium. The third most reactive was Zinc which could not dispel Iron or Magnesium in their respective solutions. Hydrogen, while not one of the metals tested, was next element on the activity series. It was in two of the solutions, Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) and water (H2O). While water reacted with no metals, HCl reacted with Magnesium, Zinc and Iron; everything above itself on the activity series. Neither HCl nor water reacted with Tin and Copper that indicated that hydrogen is more reactive than both of these metals. The second least reactive metal was Tin because it reacted with one metal solution: the copper solution. It was not reactive enough to dispel any other metals from their solutions. Finally the least reactive metal was Copper because it reacted with no solutions while all of the other metals reacted with the Copper (II) Nitrate solution.

In the actual activity series, Zinc is more reactive than Iron and Tin is more reactive than Hydrogen. This could be because the Zinc was covered with a layer of oxide that prevented it from reacting with the Iron solution. Due to the fact that Zinc did not react with the Iron solution, the conclusion of Iron is more reactive than Zinc was made. A possible reason why Zinc appeared to be more reactive than Hydrogen could be that the hydrocholoric acid was too diluted. The low concentration of HCl reacted in very slowly with Tin and could have given the appearance that it was not reacting at all. It is also very possible that a layer of oxide was on the Tin. Due to the fact that Tin did not react with both HCl and water it was concluded that it was more reactive than Hydrogen. Another factor that should be considered while observing reactions is the amount of time that is required for a reaction to occur. For example, all substances would eventually react with water. If a substance was placed in water for a long period of time signs of reaction will be visible to the naked eyes. A final reason why some reactions were not observed between metals and the solutions was because of the temperature of the reactants. Some substances only react with each at high temperatures.(2, 4) This is due to the fact that these substances requires more energy to initiate a reaction (ie. Endothermic reactions) and at cold temperature they do not have sufficient energy to form new bonds.

During the lab, observations were made with Water and Hydrochloric Acids. While HCl reacted with most of the metals water did not react with any. Water does not react with any of the metals at room temperature because it is a covalent bond (the ΔEN between O-H is 1.24) (3) none of the elements has enough energy to “break the bond” between hydrogen and oxygen. The natural dissociation of water molecules (at 25°C) into H+ and OH- is at the ration of 1 x 10-14. (5) This means that there are very few OH- molecules that other atoms can react with. This is why water seemed like it does not react with any of the metals. For two molecules to collide they must “bump” into each other and since there are very few dissociated OH- molecules then it is less likely that a metal atom will bump into it. In HCl however, the H+ and Cl- dissociates almost completely (100%) all the time. (6) This creates a lot of opportunities for reactions to happen and this is why most of the metals tested reacted with HCl and not Water.

Conclusion:

The purpose of the lab was met, a activity series was determined from the results of the lab. The reactivity series that was determined was:

Magnesium Most reactive
Iron
Zinc
Hydrogen
Tin
Copper Least reactive

In comparison to actual activity series, Zinc should have been more reactive than Iron and Tin should have been more reactive than Hydrogen.

Bibliography

1) Class notes
2) GCSE CHEMISTRY - The Reactivity of Metals with Water - GCSE SCIENCE.
3) Mustoe, F. Michael P. Jansen, Ted Doram, John Ivanco, Christina Clancy Anita Ghazariansteja. Chemistry 11. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson. 2001
4) http://educ.queensu.ca/~science/main/conce...c02/c02cdd4.htm
5) http://wine1.sb.fsu.edu/chm1046/notes/Acid...H2O/DissH2O.htm
6) http://itl.chem.ufl.edu/2045_s00/lectures/lec_z1.html

--Mandy :angelic:

News from "Barbara" = vaughnandsyd at SD-1.Net:

hehe
just a note to fellow Canadians that VICTOR will appear TONIGHT on Will and Grace. Bless Will and Grace syndication on Wednesday nights on Global in Canada
It should be at 8:30, but just check your tv guide just in case
4 hours!
Barbara

Folks such as prime, nsspense, seeker, 5X5, tredder, and Amy AliasFix. Much of what they've posted there, they have also mentioned here.

And vaughnandsyd = Barbara and Jackstie = Cherie , and I think also GC Girl and toria and sharonky chatted a little in the VG thread; our Barbara in Toronto just watched Mr. Garber in the Will and Grace episode; and she was going to report about it (the episode just ended there).

And, to Mandy, I tried to send you a PM with some proofreading corrections on your report, but my Internet connection disconnected while I was trying to do this. I will again try to send you a PM, honeybunny!! :hug:

Song! :hug:
love49.gif
love38.gif
How are you?

:eek:ldhi: Mouse! How's it going? :hug:
love38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back