SD-1 Refugee Thread-The Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tedious, Drew? Hmmm. :Ponder : : oldhi:
yeah, from what I remember. I just thought it was slow and that I'd rather like learning about the roaring twenties instead of reading the book then.

Drew, do you have any of your own pictures, if you've been there like you think you have?
I don't, personally, but my parents might. I'll ask.

Oh right, I'd deleted them. : pinch: I'll ask for them again though. And oh man - I saw ReggiesMomma's photos last night. They shoveled a path for the dogs to get out of the house and Reggie is standing in it and the snow is over twice his height! And he's a bigger dog. It was so cool!

:lol : Yeah, probably not. Since next month is February. I bet it'll melt within a few weeks and then late March and April we'll get slammed again, cuz that's how a strong El Nino normally works. And if it went like that, everyone would be happy about late spring snow! If we get one more substantial snow storm sometime in February though, we might make it. People's lawns are still completely, pretty deeply covered.

Really. :Ponder: When did you read it? I'm wondering if I'd find certain characters tedious (read: totally annoying) if I were to read it now.
no problem...but wow that is amazing about the snow drifts!

a late spring snow would be good for spring breakers going on ski trips, I suppose...I'd get tired of all that snow, though.

I read it my junior year of high school. I just thought the book was slow and not particularly interesting.

I'm in and out with students up here at work, so I might be slow responding, fyi.

:eek:ldhi: aimee! :hug:

Holy felgercarb, helen! :Passout: How cool! Doesn't matter if that first one is pixelated a little because just that scene itself is amazing. Wow! Thank you!

:woot: Thank you, Helen. :hug: I saved them -- I hope you don't mind. They're great pictures. :eek:urthumbsup: I love pictures of old buildings and things of such wonderful historical value. One of them will probably be my desktop image before the day is through. :love: I don't know much about this particular abbey (what do I know about any abbey?!). However, I am inspired now to research. Thank you so much. :hug: :smooch:

Here you go! Spoilered them so that random people wandering by aren't likely to see them : blush:

Oh it won't let me spoiler them :ham mer:. OK I'll delete them, after a while then :up
wow those are incredible pictures!

:eek:ld hi: Drew! :hug: Long time no speak! How are you?
:eek:ldhi: :hug: I'm doing well, thanks. How are you? I missed this before, but where did you go on holiday? It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

I'm pretty good thanks! So tired though, set my alarm for 2:25 this morning just so I could see what season they were repeating of Alias :rolleyes: I worry myself sometimes :lol: I went to Napier, which is about 5-6 hours from where I live. It was for my cousin's wedding, he got married in a winery :lovely: It was a really nice setting.

*sigh* I wanna change my username here. I just don't feel like myself!

Holy felgercarb, helen! :Passout: How cool! Doesn't matter if that first one is pixelated a little because just that scene itself is amazing. Wow! Thank you!

:woot: Thank you, Helen. :hug: I saved them -- I hope you don't mind. They're great pictures. :eek:urthumbsup: I love pictures of old buildings and things of such wonderful historical value. One of them will probably be my desktop image before the day is through. :love: I don't know much about this particular abbey (what do I know about any abbey?!). However, I am inspired now to research. Thank you so much. :hug: :smooch:

:Passout: Those pictures are amazing, Helen!

:blush: :love: Glad you guys like them! That's fine Meloh - I have the second/third photo shot also in sepia, which is nice. Whitby's a really nice place - very windy up on the hill and it's quite a hike up to the abbey, but you get some great views. It's in Yorkshire, and I got to go for free, as I was a social leader for some foreign students at the time - it was a day trip out there.

I'm happy sharing photos with you guys, and probably would have just spoilered them on SD-1, but it feels a little more exposed here. It's silly, I know. I just don't want any old person passing them off as theirs :bag:. Which then makes me sound all pretentious, but I'm just protective of stuff I've done, you know? :blush: I'll PM them out when we get back to SD-1 (y)

I'll also see about adding some other Whitby photos, because you get views over the harbour, from the vantage point up on the hill (it's big on fishing and seafood, is Whitby).

I have to go and I haven't read the posts that people wrote while I was in class and I need to read my meloh PM, but that will have to wait until I get home.

I just didn't want to leave for home without saying somethin'.

:hi:

I have to go and I haven't read the posts that people wrote while I was in class and I need to read my meloh PM, but that will have to wait until I get home.

I just didn't want to leave for home without saying somethin'.

:hi:

:hug: See you later! (I try to say bye too - I hate it when people just leave instant message chats without saying bye, this is a little less one-to-one, posting here, but kind of the same).

Okay, I got my photos loaded from winter break finally! There are some good ones from the aquarium but I'll wait to PM until we're back "home" cuz some have my cousins in them. And I can wait for the ice pictures too.

Well I had some lunch and did the dishes. Haven't gotten terribly far on my reading but just made a DVD with some stuff for me to watch. Gonna go wander off now. See ya later! Have fun! :bye:

I'm pretty good thanks! So tired though, set my alarm for 2:25 this morning just so I could see what season they were repeating of Alias : rolleyes: I worry myself sometimes :l ol: I went to Napier, which is about 5-6 hours from where I live. It was for my cousin's wedding, he got married in a winery :lovely: It was a really nice setting.
:lol:

that does sound nice! Of course I think most anywhere in New Zealand would be a really nice setting :lol:

I'll also see about adding some other Whitby photos, because you get views over the harbour, from the vantage point up on the hill (it's big on fishing and seafood, is Whitby).
where is Whitby? I've never heard of it but it looks quite picturesque.

in the random links section for today we have this: CIA recruiting on Facebook

I wonder if having Alias as a favorite TV show helps :lol:

and this: And this is science? :lol: such a funny story...unless they wasted a lot of money on it, and then it'd just be sad.

Okay, I got my photos loaded from winter break finally! There are some good ones from the aquarium but I'll wait to PM until we're back "home" cuz some have my cousins in them. And I can wait for the ice pictures too.

Well I had some lunch and did the dishes. Haven't gotten terribly far on my reading but just made a DVD with some stuff for me to watch. Gonna go wander off now. See ya later! Have fun! :bye:

Have fun! :hi: See you later :hug:

where is Whitby? I've never heard of it but it looks quite picturesque.

Yorkshire (same county as Leeds, Sheffield etc). It's on the north east (I think) coast. Morcombe is a nearby town, and like Whitby, is famous for the cockles and mussels they catch there. I've got a lovely picture from on top of the hill, looking down over the town, with all the houses and stuff below, and one of the two bays. It's all stormy, gunmetal grey clouds too - I was cursing it trying to take the photos, until I realised it really worked with the whole gloomy, gothic vibe ;)

ETA - some sites:

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/tourist_i...itby/whitby.htm
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/majorsi...itby_abbey.html
Whitby - Wikipedia

Hey, a jigsaw! :LOL: : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravensburger-Puzzl...e/dp/B0006NMA5Y

I'm happy sharing photos with you guys, and probably would have just spoilered them on SD-1, but it feels a little more exposed here. It's silly, I know. I just don't want any old person passing them off as theirs :bag:. Which then makes me sound all pretentious, but I'm just protective of stuff I've done, you know? :blush: I'll PM them out when we get back to SD-1 (y)

I know what you mean. And you don't have to worry about me passing them off as my own. :lol: I'm quite content to let you take all the credit for the beautiful way you captured the abbey. :eek:urthumbsup:

Oh, please do!

I'm fixing to have to go to class, so if I disappear, that's where I've gone. It's so weird have class from 3:30 to 5pm. :o_O: I keep thinking I've missed the class, but I haven't! :lol:

Have fun! :hi: See you later :hug:
Yorkshire (same county as Leeds, Sheffield etc). It's on the north east (I think) coast. Morcombe is a nearby town, and like Whitby, is famous for the cockles and mussels they catch there. I've got a lovely picture from on top of the hill, looking down over the town, with all the houses and stuff below, and one of the two bays. It's all stormy, gunmetal grey clouds too - I was cursing it trying to take the photos, until I realised it really worked with the whole gloomy, gothic vibe ;)
ETA - some sites:

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/tourist_i...itby/whitby.htm
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/majorsi...itby_abbey.html
Whitby - Wikipedia

Hey, a jigsaw! :LOL: : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravensburger-Puzzl...e/dp/B0006NMA5Y
oh ok, thanks! That is very pretty countryside and I bet that picture is very striking.

I'm fixing to have to go to class, so if I disappear, that's where I've gone. It's so weird have class from 3:30 to 5pm. :wack o: I keep thinking I've missed the class, but I haven't! :l ol:
oh man I hate late afternoon classes....that's prime napping time, though with work I don't exactly get that opportunity either :LOL:

Scaryness...the suberb I live in is called Whitby!
:LOL:

Hee, Aimee! I know a lot of US places (and some Canadian and Australian) share names with the UK, but I've not heard of many with new Zealand! Cool though :smiley:

With Aimee and Talula's photos, and - damn, I forget whether it was Song or Grace now who got flooded on their trip :blush: - as well, we'll have lots of photo goodness to look forward too. And hopefully Mellie meeting Patrick Dempsey too.

*sigh* I can't wait! SD-1 - hurry up, I'm missing photos! :hmmm:. We could PM them here, but it's not the same, is it? And then how would we get the PMs over to SD-1?

OK - we had an advert in the UK, for Citroen cars, which got like cult status, due to the car becoming a robot and dancing. The song became famous too - Mellie and Nsspense, I've got it on the running playlist. Well I think it's on the version you're getting, Nsspense :Ponder:.

Anyway, so that you could see the advert that the song came from, I hunted on You Tube: - very cool robot car dancing advert!

(oh and they did a coo ice skating one too - here's the ice skating car)

And I found a spoof, with breakfast stuff, which made me giggle :lol: - voila.

I just read this on the SD-1 temp board. It was posted 2 days ago...

Hello peeps!

This obviously took longer than expected. Again. It's not going to take a whole week this time, in fact, we'll probably be able to go back online pretty soon.

The reason this took so long is that we moved to a new (faster) server (yes, we got rid of the gerbil ). Right now that's done and we're doing some maintenance on the database.

Someone will probably post a more official announcement on LJ later today and give a new timeline, I just wanted to let you all know that we're working on getting us back online and that the hardest part is over.

As always, thank you all for your patience!

IMJ

Aww...no more Mr. Server :cry:

:eek:ldhi: Just coming in to say :hi: before I head home from work.

It's been a stressful morning, but I thought I'd stop by and say hi!
I hope you're destressed soon, Luckydear!

And I feel icky so I'm going to lay down before my last 2 classes.
I hope you're feeling better! :smooch:

They said they're trying to fix it. But who knows when it will be fixed? I'm kind of bummed about the stakeout not happening. : ( :lo l:

Oh, man, I know how that goes. I used to HATE working at the local grocery store when they predicted snow or ice. So many people rushing out to buy things. And then, nothing would happen! :lo l:
I know! That would've been fun!

Yes, you'd think people would realize it does no good to buy out the grocery store! :lol:

Gone! Will PM when SD-1's up. I'm uploading some new ones anyway (y) :smiley:
Yay! I'd love to see them once we're back at SD-1!

Yay again for more pms! :woot:

So, the phone company just called. Evidently, the workers doing construction on our apartments cut the phone line -- it's not just my phone that's out buy my entire building! :Pinch: Hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow.

Okay, I'm heading home! :hi:

eta: Helen that's cool! I look forward to hearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back