SD-1 Refugees #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
5x5 said:
:lol:  :lol: My mom would say, "Grab your cereal bowls!"  :lol:
[post="1091233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: We also got "McDonald's or Subway?" if there was no cereal or macarroni and cheese on those days :smiley:

5x5 said:
ETA: About your brother again, nsspense--he's already ahead of the game because he's smart!  :whistle:  He may be in a bit of a grunt position when he begins, but that's a good start in seeing how the military operates and making connections.  My brother was in ROTC during college, worked for a few years, then went into the military full-time, and has worked his way up.  He's smart and he's super-personable. (He's 36 and up for a Lt. Col. position.  Color me proud!)
[post="1091211"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hey I didn't see this! I'm not even sure why I went back a page, but just thought I should.. :smiley: That's great about your brother, you should be proud! I know my brother would be good at whatever they have him do.. He's disappointed because at his school he's been in charge and has been selected for all these cool schools and things over the summers.. And now this news (to me) seems like a demotion. I know it isn't, because he has only been in ROTC, not the official Army yet..

nsspense said:
hey I didn't see this! I'm not even sure why I went back a page, but just thought I should.. :smiley: That's great about your brother, you should be proud! I know my brother would be good at whatever they have him do.. He's disappointed because at his school he's been in charge and has been selected for all these cool schools and things over the summers.. And now this news (to me) seems like a demotion. I know it isn't, because he has only been in ROTC, not the official Army yet..
[post="1091265"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Same deal with my brother. ROTC guys aren't given the same amount of respect to begin with, I don't think. But once he proves himself, things will get a lot better for him.

ETA: :eek:ldhi: Amy and october!

5x5 said:
Same deal with my brother.  ROTC guys aren't given the same amount of respect to begin with, I don't think.  But once he proves himself, things will get a lot better for him.
[post="1091275"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:smiley: good, I hope so!

I just got an email from my friend who has a job he can't talk about, and who has been gone for a couple months-he couldn't tell us where he was going or when he'd get back. We were all starting to get worried, and thinking we'd have to call his family and see if they'd heard anything. He's so much fun, he told all about his adventures with flaming shrapnel. He makes up good stories since he can't really tell us what he did. :lol: But in reality, I'm pretty sure he has Marshall's job. At least that's what I pretend :smiley:

Good morning! :eek:ldhi: I'm not quite awake yet, but I hear my coffeemaker beeping at me, to say that coffee is ready! Yay!

One reason for looking forward to Christmas, and my trip to the in-laws, is that I'll get to sleep through the night! My brother will be watching the animals for me, and he'll be the one looking like a raccoon. (y)

tredder said:
One reason for looking forward to Christmas, and my trip to the in-laws, is that I'll get to sleep through the night!  My brother will be watching the animals for me, and he'll be the one looking like a raccoon.  (y)
[post="1091322"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hooray for your brother looking like a raccoon! :lol:
I guess, as opposed to you looking like one :blink: :smiley:

nsspense said:
:smiley:  good, I hope so!

I just got an email from my friend who has a job he can't talk about, and who has been gone for a couple months-he couldn't tell us where he was going or when he'd get back. We were all starting to get worried, and thinking we'd have to call his family and see if they'd heard anything. He's so much fun, he told all about his adventures with flaming shrapnel. He makes up good stories since he can't really tell us what he did. :lol: But in reality, I'm pretty sure he has Marshall's job. At least that's what I pretend :smiley:
[post="1091285"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Hee! How fun! My dad had a job like that - I still don't know what he did for a living (he's retired now), but when we went to southern California for a family vacation years ago, we asked if we could go down into Mexico for a day - dad couldn't go because he hadn't told work he would be leaving the country, and he had to be debreifed before doing such things. :blink: It wasn't until my late teens and on that I really started to wonder what he did at this job! :P

All I know now is that he worked in an office in the Bay Area, got his contracts with the government, usually DOD, and he (at least at one point) specialized in radar. He used to travel a lot when I was a kid too - London, Japan, Germany - oh, and he and my mom lived in Turkey for the first 9 months of their marriage. Mom doesn't know what he did, but he'd go to the air base every day and fly out. Mom has great stories about being a newly wedded, red-haired white woman in Turkey in the early 60's! :lol: Apprently she was quite the novelty among the locals!

Aliasfix said:
Hee!  How fun!  My dad had a job like that - I still don't know what he did for a living (he's retired now), but when we went to southern California for a family vacation years ago, we asked if we could go down into Mexico for a day - dad couldn't go because he hadn't told work he would be leaving the country, and he had to be debreifed before doing such things.  :blink:  It wasn't until my late teens and on that I really started to wonder what he did at this job!  :P

All I know now is that he worked in an office in the Bay Area, got his contracts with the government, usually DOD, and he (at least at one point) specialized in radar.  He used to travel a lot when I was a kid too - London, Japan, Germany - oh, and he and my mom lived in Turkey for the first 9 months of their marriage.  Mom doesn't know what he did, but he'd go to the air base every day and fly out.  Mom has great stories about being a newly wedded, red-haired white woman in Turkey in the early 60's!  :lol:  Apprently she was quite the novelty among the locals!
[post="1091340"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Can't you ask him now about what he did? He could probably say, since it's been awhile.. ? It would be so hard not being able to talk to your family about your day at work, I don't think I could handle that part!

I just registered for my two grad classes in the spring. :money: :thud:

nsspense said:
:lol: We also got "McDonald's or Subway?" if there was no cereal or macarroni and cheese on those days :smiley:
[post="1091238"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

My mom would declare it Eat Your Own Dinner Night. Which really meant make your own dinner. Because while we weren't necessarily the best mannered children you'd ever encounter, we generally didn't run around eating other people's dinners.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> When I was a kid, there was no Subway</span>. At least not where I lived. But there was McDonald's. The food was exactly the same, but they had really great Saturday morning commercials with Ronald, Grimace, the Hamburglar, The Fry Gang, and Birdie. Then later, they had sentimental-like commercials...such as a kid gets a new baby sister and everyone who previously doted on him suddenly totally ignores him BUT his dad brings him a cheeseburger, fries, coke, and a cheap plastic toy, and he's happy as a clam. And now, I believe they must have really unmemorable commercials, because I can't think of a single one.

prime47 said:
Yay! mr. jumpy! I do miss him, Mel... but, y'know, he'd be just another run-of-the-mill bouncing emoticon if it weren't for you... :smooch:
[post="1090896"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:blush: <span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>thanks</span>

nsspense said:
We need a *sigh* smilie. Mel? :thinking:
[post="1091087"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I always felt that typing *sigh* showed the emtion better than a smilie...but I do have this one guy that kinda seems to be sighing.

sad10.gif

mellybelly said:
I always felt that typing *sigh* showed the emtion better than a smilie...but I do have this one guy that kinda seems to be sighing.

sad10.gif

[post="1091365"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
hmmm yeah that is pretty good. But *sigh* probably does the same thing, if not better.. thanks mel :hug:

eta-waterlily-now McDonald's commercials are completely aggravating to me. They all involve this sing-song rap that is really bad.

Mom has great stories about being a newly wedded, red-haired white woman in Turkey in the early 60's!  Apprently she was quite the novelty among the locals!

I live in exactly the same circumstances that your mom did back then! Well, except for being red-headed, or living in Turkey, or being newly married, or it being the sixties. But...you know...

nsspense said:
Can't you ask him now about what he did? He could probably say, since it's been awhile.. ? It would be so hard not being able to talk to your family about your day at work, I don't think I could handle that part!
[post="1091358"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Even now I think there's things he can't talk about. We know more now than we did before, but he can't give details. When I was a kid, mom said at some big company dinner they had, another employee told my mom that her husband 'was an asset to this nation', so I'm thinking there are secrets he has that he will carry to his grave.

I bet it was hard for him to not talk about his day and stuff, but I tell ya - once he retired, I noticed a huge change in his personality - much more relaxed and easy going, and much more talkative in general (but still not about work :P). So looking back, I think work must have been a bit of a stress load at times for him. :(

waterlily said:
My mom would declare it Eat Your Own Dinner Night.  Which really meant make your own dinner.  Because while we weren't necessarily the best mannered children you'd ever encounter, we generally didn't run around eating other people's dinners. 

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> When I was a kid, there was no Subway</span>.  At least not where I lived.  But there was McDonald's.  The food was exactly the same, but they had really great Saturday morning commercials with Ronald, Grimace, the Hamburglar, The Fry Gang, and Birdie.  Then later, they had sentimental-like commercials...such as a kid gets a new baby sister and everyone who previously doted on him suddenly totally ignores him BUT his dad brings him a cheeseburger, fries, coke, and a cheap plastic toy, and he's happy as a clam.  And now, I believe they must have really unmemorable commercials, because I can't think of a single one.
[post="1091359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
No Subway when I was a kid either! But McDonalds was close, and there was a Taco Bell right next door, and I can remember going there in the family stationwagon, and each getting what we wanted from either place, then eating in the car. I don't think they kept us in the car because we were wild, I think it was because of having food from both restaurants maybe? And back then, there was no indoor seating at Taco Bell - it was all outside!

I do 'fend for yourself nights' when I don't feel like cooking, or when there's lots of leftovers that need to be eaten. And more than once I've allowed the kiddo to have cereal for dinner, which thrills her to no end! :lol: But I don't do it very often!
nsspense said:
eta-waterlily-now McDonald's commercials are completely aggravating to me. They all involve this sing-song rap that is really bad.
[post="1091372"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I hate those MdD's commercials! I hit the mute button every time one comes on!

waterlily said:
I live in exactly the same circumstances that your mom did back then!  Well, except for being red-headed, or living in Turkey, or being newly married, or it being the sixties.  But...you know...
[post="1091377"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol: Where are you living, waterlily? What are your similar circumstances, or can you not talk about it? :P

Aliasfix said:
Even now I think there's things he can't talk about.  We know more now than we did before, but he can't give details.  When I was a kid, mom said at some big company dinner they had, another employee told my mom that her husband 'was an asset to this nation', so I'm thinking there are secrets he has that he will carry to his grave. 

I bet it was hard for him to not talk about his day and stuff, but I tell ya - once he retired, I noticed a huge change in his personality - much more relaxed and easy going, and much more talkative in general (but still not about work :P).  So looking back, I think work must have been a bit of a stress load at times for him.  :(
No Subway when I was a kid either!  But McDonalds was close, and there was a Taco Bell right next door, and I can remember going there in the family stationwagon, and each getting what we wanted from either place, then eating in the car.  I don't think they kept us in the car because we were wild, I think it was because of having food from both restaurants maybe?  And back then, there was no indoor seating at Taco Bell - it  was all outside!

I do 'fend for yourself nights' when I don't feel like cooking, or when there's lots of leftovers that need to be eaten.  And more than once I've allowed the kiddo to have cereal for dinner, which thrills her to no end!  :lol:  But I don't do it very often!
[post="1091378"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Yep...Taco Bell was our other choice, too. It was my favorite. I still have a hankering for Taco Bell now and again. We had indoor seating, though. It was too hot to eat outside in West Texas. Also, we had Sonic, but it was farther from our house, and my mom didn't like us to eat in the car. And then they had far fewer tables outside than they do now. And it was hot.

Aliasfix said:
:lol:  Where are you living, waterlily?  What are your similar circumstances, or can you not talk about it?  :P
[post="1091378"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I live in Florida. And I'm a brunette. :shudder: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: Oh, bad form! I double-posted. Sorry. (n)

I still like Taco Bell too, although I eat there far less often since they dropped Dr. Pepper from their soda fountains. :angry: Twelve spigots, three different types of Pepsi, 3 or 4 different Mt. Dews, several iced teas - they couldn't find one spot for Dr. Pepper?

And they've consistently removed my favorites from their menu - beefy tostadas - remember those? :P And the taco light, and one of the chalupa varieties...whichever was my favorite, they dropped. I think Taco Bell hates me. :thinking: LOL

*sigh* I need to start wrapping presents - there's a big pile of bags behind me! I could wrap them and at least put them in the living room...

eta:
waterlily said:
I live in Florida.  And I'm a brunette.  :shudder: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

ETA:  Oh, bad form!  I double-posted.  Sorry.  (n)
[post="1091387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
Are there really so few brunettes in Florida? :lol: I've never been there!

So I've decided I'm not good at writing accident reports.

I mean in theory I can write them, but they are too short.

*humph*

My family is going to go get our Christmas tree soon, and I can't go with them. I slept in too late, and I need to finish my reports.

All caught up. Wow - lots of action in here this morning!! :groupwave:

:eek:ldhi: waterlily :hug:
:eek:ldhi: 5x5 - Congrats on your work being extended!! :woot: :hug:
:eek:ldhi: mellybelly - Are you still working on your paper(s)?? :hug: I like the *sigh* too. Sometimes I wish I could just say it - I'm often almost speaking in internet-lingo. :lol:
:eek:ldhi: Amy :hug:
:eek:ldhi: nsspense - I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. That is never fun to learn you can't do something or won't be allowed to do something you've always wanted. I think it happens to alot of people, in very different ways. I hope he can find something else he loves. But, :woot: very cool about the :fireman: shirts. How funny is that? It's like a secret little world.

I don't know if I'll ever be like that with anything. My mom has this obsession, because she's a nurse recruiter that anywhere she goes she must read the want ads and see how their hospitals advertise. My uncle, who is an EMT, and my sister, who will be a radiology tech and works in the ER - are obsessed with seeing other city's hospitals. I guess I really, really like seeing other universities. I love to drive around on their campus and stuff. Maybe I'm more of an academic that I thought.

Cuz, I'd totally :love: to live in DC and it would be wild to meet people like you were talking about, nsspense - like Marshall or someone - who can't tell you about their job. Fascinating stuff.

talula62 said:
:eek:ldhi: mellybelly - Are you still working on your paper(s)?? :hug: I like the *sigh* too. Sometimes I wish I could just say it - I'm often almost speaking in internet-lingo. :lol:
*nod*

I finished my big one yesterday, but I have 3 one page papers that are due today. I'm working on my third one right now, and then I need to edit them. I think the two I have done are too short, and the one I'm trying to do now...well I'm experiencing writers block. I'm just sitting there staring at the screen.

:eek:ldhi: :hug: How is talula today?

Aliasfix said:
I still like Taco Bell too, although I eat there far less often since they dropped Dr. Pepper from their soda fountains.  :angry:  Twelve spigots, three different types of Pepsi, 3 or 4 different Mt. Dews, several iced teas - they couldn't find one spot for Dr. Pepper? 

And they've consistently removed my favorites from their menu - beefy tostadas - remember those?  :P  And the taco light, and one of the chalupa varieties...whichever was my favorite, they dropped.  I think Taco Bell hates me.  :thinking:  LOL

*sigh*  I need to start wrapping presents - there's a big pile of bags behind me!  I could wrap them and at least put them in the living room...

eta: 
Are there really so few brunettes in Florida?  :lol:  I've never been there!
[post="1091390"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I like the bean burritos, and the soft tacos (which they didn't have in my childhood), and the new gorditas. But I did enjoy a nice tostada now and then, and am sorry to hear of their retirement. NO DR. PEPPER? That's insane.

There are some brunettes in Florida :lol: , but more hair bleach is consumed here than everywhere else in the world put together, I bet. I was at the park with half a dozen other (blonde) mothers, and they were reminiscing about their naturally blonder childhoods, and bemoaning how their hair started getting dark in adolescence. And one mom...who I just love...said "I am only 36 years old, and I am not about to let my hair go brown!" And the rest of them earnestly agreed. And I just stood there in all my brown glory. It was a very odd moment. But honestly, the typical thirty to forty-something Floridian has bleached blonde hair and brown leathery skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back