SD-1 Refugees #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch Out Sark said:
Wow! Now I am even more :woot: because class was cancelled! :P That means I have an extra hour to study for my chemistry exam :rolleyes:

How is everyone today? :group:
[post="1091515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
yay! congratulations on your paper! :hug: and cancelled class!

Watch Out Sark said:
[post="1091527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
sort of quickly, I just have a little while left at work and then I have a meeting at school on a group project. :rolleyes: Those are always fun.

How hard is this chem test going to be? Are you all prepared and not even in need of the extra hour? :smiley:

I think I'm going to go get some coffee, the afternoon slump is upon me. :smiley:

I'm no 5x5 (who knows stuff), but I think your sentence should be worded differently, mel. As is, I'm not sure what it means. If "it" can't support Michael and Kevin's weight at the same time, I'd say unable to support Michael and Kevin Fisher's combined weight. If it can't support either of them, I'd say unable to support either Michael or Kevin Fisher's weight. (See my clever use of neither/nor there? I bet 5x5 comes in later and says it's wrong. Also, I like weight, not weights, but I'm never sure about how to deal with the possesive thing...is it Michael nor Kevin's, or Michael's nor Kevin's? And this is why we need 5x5 and people like her.)

ETA: Oh no!!! Even I don't need 5x5 to correct my horrendous use of neither/nor!!! With unable, that's a double negative. Everyone knows double negatives suck!!! :bag:

nsspense, Group project, eh? I am sorry. I was never one to be a fan of the group projects :hmm: because I always ended up picking up the slack of the group. I'm sure you know what that is like though.

My chemistry test is hard. I know the concepts, but our professor is a little :o_O: so I can't trust that he will stick to his plan and give us what he actually taught. I need the extra hour because I am also finishing up my term paper for Anthropology, which is due at 8 am all of the way on the other side of campus :thud:.

Have a nice afternoon! I am still in morning mode... It's not even noon, though I am done with classes for the day. :smiley: I am still motivated at this our :lol:

yeah group projects really bite. But, I have found in grad school there is much less slacking, and much more overachieving, than in undergrad. So, it isn't that they aren't doing the work, just that group dynamics are tricky! And everyone has an opinion...

nsspense said:
yeah group projects really bite. But, I have found in grad school there is much less slacking, and much more overachieving, than in undergrad. So, it isn't that they aren't doing the work, just that group dynamics are tricky! And everyone has an opinion...
[post="1091568"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I can only imagine. I would also think that it gets quite hard to find meeting times/places where everyone is available. Good luck with that.

:eek:ldhi: everyone! :hug: Yay for your 98/100, Sark!! I knew you could do it, despite the angst caused by that particular paper! :P

Interesting conversation on top secret jobs. My grandfather worked for GCHQ (sort of the British equivalent of the NSA). My mother immigrated to the US in the 1950's, and became a US citizen. In the early 1990's, she and my dad decided that they wanted to visit Russia, and applied for their Visas. Boy, was she surprised when a couple of members of the British government showed up and told her she couldn't go! Besides making me a little nervous about who the heck is reviewing Visa requests, it also makes me curious about my grandfather's work - he'd been retired for almost thirty years at that point! Hmmmm... :Ponder:

ETA: I always enjoy it when the :eek:ldhi: guy ends up standing on the head of another smilie! Hee!

well, i've got to really get down to business before 3:30 rolls around!! i've been quiet but i think i'll skeedaddle so i don't distract myself!! see ya soon!! :bye:

waterlily said:
I'm no 5x5 (who knows stuff), but I think your sentence should be worded differently, mel.  As is, I'm not sure what it means.  If "it" can't support Michael and Kevin's weight at the same time, I'd say unable to support Michael and Kevin Fisher's combined weight.  If it can't support either of them, I'd say unable to support either Michael or Kevin Fisher's weight.  (See my clever use of neither/nor there?  I bet 5x5 comes in later and says it's wrong.  Also, I like weight, not weights, but I'm never sure about how to deal with the possesive thing...is it Michael nor Kevin's, or Michael's nor Kevin's?  And this is why we need 5x5 and people like her.)
I guess it would have been good for me to post the whole sentence :bag:

Here it is:

Brittany Kane attempted to prevent the falls but was unable to support both Michael and Kevin Fisher’s weight.

tredder said:
:eek:ldhi: everyone!  :hug:  Yay for your 98/100, Sark!!  I knew you could do it, despite the angst caused by that particular paper!  :P

Interesting conversation on top secret jobs.  My grandfather worked for GCHQ (sort of the British equivalent of the NSA).  My mother immigrated to the US in the 1950's, and became a US citizen.  In the early 1990's, she and my dad decided that they wanted to visit Russia, and applied for their Visas.  Boy, was she surprised when a couple of members of the British government showed up and told her she couldn't go!  Besides making me a little nervous about who the heck is reviewing Visa requests, it also makes me curious about my grandfather's work - he'd been retired for almost thirty years at that point!  Hmmmm...  :Ponder:

ETA:  I always enjoy it when the :eek:ldhi: guy ends up standing on the head of another smilie!  Hee!
[post="1091589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
That is so cool! What if he was a Jack Bristow with a reputation? :confused: That would be very exciting, yet I see why you would be nervous :P.

edit: That is really funny Tredder. . .I guess I missed that. . . . :lol:
edit: :hi: Talula have a nice afternoon!

mellybelly said:
I guess it would have been good for me to post the whole sentence :bag:

Here it is:

Brittany Kane attempted to prevent the falls but was unable to support both Michael and Kevin Fisher’s weight.
[post="1091626"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

Brittany Kane attempted to prevent the falls but was unable to support the combined weight of Michael and Kevin Fisher.

Michael and Kevin Fisher's combined weight made Brittany Kane unable to prevent the fall. (the falls? what fall? their fall?)

:confused:

nsspense said:
Brittany Kane attempted to prevent the falls but was unable to support the combined weight of Michael and Kevin Fisher.

Michael and Kevin Fisher's combined weight made Brittany Kane unable to prevent the fall. (the falls? what fall? their fall?)

:confused:
[post="1091636"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I like the first one, I'll go with that. Thankies!! :hug:

Brittany Kane was unable to prevent the falls of both Michael and Kevin Fisher, because she was not strong enough to support the total mass of both of the boys.
Silly, silly Brittany Kane.

:smiley:blink:smiley:
???
Don't quote me on this one . . . except for the last sentence. What did Brittany think she was doing, anyway? Why wasn't she instead watching an episode of Alias, like a sane sensible creature, instead of wandering around trying to randomly support the masses and/or weights of those boys? Very, very strange behavior on the part of Brittany, indeed . . . :thinking:

mel-

I was trying to catch up to see whether your question had already been answered.

My suggested fix was going to be almost exactly the same as nsspense offered just above. (y)

If you have an additional question, I'll be glad to offer an opinion.

** I am the world's greatest authority on my own opinion!! **

:whistle:

seeker336 said:
** I am the world's greatest authority on my own opinion!! **

:whistle:
[post="1091673"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
I'll remember that tonight while working on that group project :lol:

and mouse, I agree, that was Brittany's first mistake. Who tries to carry two boys around? :blink:

Quick question to anyone who has written a smiliar paper: I am doing a paper on the debate over Linguistic Relativity which should be 5 pages, about 1250 words. First I have to explain the debate, give the argument for both sides, and then state my own opinion on the topic. I started with some background on the issue and then did the explaining and blah blah (which took about 3 pages). Is it ok for my opinion on the topic to take up almost a whole 2 pages? I am less than 200 words short and about a page short so far and I haven't fully written my opinion. It is ok to have that much of the paper about my views on the issue? :thinking:

nsspense said:
I'll remember that tonight while working on that group project :lol:

and mouse, I agree, that was Brittany's first mistake. Who tries to carry two boys around? :blink:
[post="1091686"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​
:lol:

I'm writing an accident report for class. She wasn't trying to carry 2 men, sillies. She is a CNA, who was transferring a patient with the help of his son, and the patient became weak and feel causing his son to fall and the nurse couldn't hold both of them up.

:D

I'm working on my car accident one right now. I'm going to kill myself in it. The car I was driving just started on fire. It's quite a tragedy.

Watch Out Sark said:
That is so cool! What if he was a Jack Bristow with a reputation?  :confused: That would be very exciting, yet I see why you would be nervous :P.

edit: That is really funny Tredder. . .I guess I missed that. . . . :lol:
edit: :hi: Talula have a nice afternoon!
[post="1091628"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]​

I think he was more of a Marshall, or a Q, from James Bond. I know that he designed and set up listening posts for Project Ultra during WWII. Now, that was cool! My grandpa helped save the free world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back