Season 5 SD-6 Map

rt777ng

Cadet
I raised this question in another post, but haven't see too many responses.

In terms of the hypnotizing Sydney to get a name off the SD-6 family tree, why not simply ask Sloane? Sloane is on Prophet 5's payroll.

In fact, if Vaughn (a junior CIA officer in season 1) has access to the SD-6 map, I assume that the SD-6 map is "not that secret" of a secret in the CIA. So why not kidnap other CIA officers that had accessed the map before. Which brings to the question, why not just kidnap and torture Vaughn, instead of having him killed?

As well, the doctor hypnotizing Sydney (in the form of Vaughn during hypnotized state) told Sydney to look in the "Top-Right" portion of map. I mean, how does Irina (instructing the doctor) know the name is in the Top-Right portion. It is a family tree, it can be drawn in any way you want. The family tree is just as valid if the sides are switched around - name in the Top-Left, or Bottom-Right, or Bottom-Left.

And with the Prophet 5 deeply embedded into global governments, including the US, wouldn't it be easier to "steal" the SD-6 map from the CIA? (I assume they planted moles within the CIA, as with Gordon Dean.) Again, the SD-6 map doesn't seem to be that big of secret, as junior officers has access to it, and especially since SD-6 has been dismantled.

Too confusing to connect all the dots. The more I think about it, the more confusing it gets. Maybe I am over-analyzing for a TV show, which main purpose is just pure entertainment. Anyways, I trust JJ and Co. are smart enough to give us a fuller explanation later on in the season. And not just a loophole for the sake of a cliffhanger episode.

And if the location of "the horizon" is so important, why don't take the risk to steel it from CIA? Or maybe the map is destroyed, but i agree with you, i don't understand why they didn't ask Sloane about it. The head of SD-6 and part of the alliance.

Let say the SD-6 network is so far-reaching that even Sloane doesn't know its fullest extent, and the CIA has better information on the whole network. Or that the map was destory (doubtful). Or the map was "Vaughn's" map. This would exclude getting the information from Sloane or the CIA.

Prophet 5 wanted information so bad, spending the last 30 years to search it, and they know Vaughn has that information .... Then why did they order to have Vaughn killed? Surely Prophet 5 knows that Vaughn would most likely give up that information if threaten to kill Sydney and baby.

I keep going back to the fact that during Project Christmas that Jack "hardwired" Sydney not to break during any type of torture or brainwashing...that is why they were not able to make her be Julia Thorne. I also think that Irena would be aware of this by now and she would be very careful how she extracted any info from Sydney by making her think that she is after one thing and getting something else from her....or she has her own adgenda separate from Prophet 5 and trying to protect Sydney.

But I do agree that getting the info off of the SD-6 map didn't make a whole lot of sense...you would think that that info would be easier to get to than the files that they went after.

I agree with the whole brainwashing thing. After Syd pretending to be Julia, you'd think Irina would know that she can't be brainwashed...But then again, she could be trying to prove herself, like at the end of season one, where she had to shoot Syd in the shoulder. Maybe there is another person that is superior to her, forcing her to recieve information, and the only way she could think of, would be to get Sydney to give them false info.

Ugh! This is driving me crazy! I don't think I can wait untill March to find out the answer!

1.) In actuallity, the map that we saw in 1.02, and 5.09, is a prop. They never showed on screen the top-right corner because it didn't matter--the point is, sydney saw it and read it.

2.) People are saying it was stupid of Irina to torture Syd like that, knowing that she was hardwired to stand up to brainwashing. But thats just it--she DID stand up to it--she gave Irina the wrong name/number!

3.) To those who say 'why didn't Prophet Five steal the map themselves or kidnap and torture Vaughn instead of killing him to find the horizon?': because it wouldn't have made an exciting and interesting episode. This is TV folks; they wanted to bring Vaughn back, so they had to write certain things into certain characters to do it. It's never going to make perfect sense. It was cool to see those flashback scenes (I think it was), and in order to have that happen, the writers had Prophet Five kidnap Syd.

hope what i just said makes sense...

2.) People are saying it was stupid of Irina to torture Syd like that, knowing that she was hardwired to stand up to brainwashing. But thats just it--she DID stand up to it--she gave Irina the wrong name/number!

The issue with this is that Irina knows that Sydney can stand up to brainwashing. If she's really trying to get information, then why would she waste her time? Although, tricking Sydney into getting the information is not exactly brainwashing, so I can see why she might have tried it anyway.

1.) In actuallity, the map that we saw in 1.02, and 5.09, is a prop. They never showed on screen the top-right corner because it didn't matter--the point is, sydney saw it and read it.

Actually, I think the important question here is whether they reshot the map from the second episode. They may have put actual clues on there if they did. Or, like you said, it could just be a prop.

Back