Season 4 Season 4 question

Andy_dj

Cadet
Well I've heard, that unlike Seasons 1, 2, and 3 that basically followed one main "story" (Taking out SD-6 in S1/S2, Taking out Sloane in S2, and finding out what happened to Syd in S3) Season 4 will have a different "mission" every week with a new plot. Is this true?? I'd have to say it would be a change but I would like it!

Well I'm not entirely certain it's true but my dad works at a t.v. station and said he heard it by some of his "connections" :lol:.

There is an article going around, with Greg Grunberg saying that S4 will be "self-contained", but yeah I doubt it will be in the sense that each episode will deal with one mission or something like that.
Think about episodes so far - most of them are self contained already. There is a continuous plot for sure, and they wouldn't get rid of that aspect. And I dont think that is what they mean when the say they would self contain episodes.
Its not the kind of show that could have single episodes with only one thing happening every week. There are shows for those kinds of audiences - making Alias that kind of show isn't really giving the audience the credit it deserves. I think its more an effort to make the show more accessable.

All that said, I hope that this is true and that there aren't major changes to the plot construction like that. It would really ruin the Alias feel.

hmmm....I like the uniqueness Alias brings though with its crazy plots!!

but anyways....completely offtopic (well sortof-someone metioned him above) I cant find this info anywhere else on the site but what is going on with Greg Grunberg?? Is he doing his new show?? Cuz with the way people are talking it doesnt sound like he is and with what he said about S4 above... :confused:

Apparently the show that Greg is developing didn't get picked up - so I guess he has plenty more time to stay with Alias now!

If they don't have arcs, what is the point of closing up the gaps?! Don't they realize why people tune in?
:angry:

Let's put it this way, if I were to describe a particular scene in Alias from any of its three seasons, very few people would know which episode it was or even be able to describe five things that happened in the same episode (unless they watched the DVD four times). Unfortunately Alias is often remembered, even by it's fans, for individual scenes when "Vaughn looked cute" or "Sydney looked cool". That doesn't bring in many new converts, especially after a season with very few good individual scenes.

If I described a scene from let's say Farscape, many of the people that followed that show would know the plot of the particular episode, what every character was doing, and the ongoing villain or love triangle back-story that was a part of its serialized plotting.

Having a main shared focus in an episode creates an opportunity for the characters to express any evolutions the background plotting has put them through. It also tends to minimize the "I love him, I don't love him, I trust him, I don't trust him" controversy that too often substitutes for an actual story.

I think most people remember "Phase One" (Syd/Vaughn kiss, Jack captured and rescued, SD-6 destroyed) not only because of all the ground it covered (and good writing, good action) but because of the dangling ends it RESOLVED. There's no reason a big piece of that can't happen every week, both week to week and after several episodes of development.

[quote name='Vaughn's Baby Girl' date='Jul 10 2004, 07:46 PM'][quote name='ILoveVaughn627' date='Jul 5 2004, 10:30 AM'] I am not sure how I feel about that..[/quote]
same here- it would be interesting and fresh, but at the same time it would kinda be annoying :thinking: [/quote]
yes it would be annoying. In every episode of Alias currently, it all connects to a bigger plot. Rambaldi and SD-6 which introduced Rambaldi. when they end this Rambaldi thing they have to find a new plot but i dont think they are ready to think up one which is why they continue it this way.

if they put the self contained and all that then it'd be like Xena where everything is solved in one day. that would be boring and lame. Greg shouldn't have said that becuz they more than likely are not gonna do that becuz they already pissed off enuff ppl with the Lauren thing!

<!--spoilerbs--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>SPOILER </td></tr><tr><td id='SPOILER'><!--spoilerbe-->no, it won't :smiley:<!--spoileres--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--spoileree-->

I don't want to read any spoilers, but I hope that it is untrue that they are going to have "self-contained episodes." That simply sounds stupid and like network interference--and self-contained episodes would answer the gap problem without annoying the audience by making them wait until January for the season to start! (by not requiring the fan to remember what happened in the previous episode) Plus, it would be out of character for a someone like Sloane NOT to have some long-term plot going on that his short-term goals were contributing to. Frankly, Alias is an arc-driven series (it's part of their premise), and if they don't see it and try to switch horses in midstream, they're in for trouble. I don't care what they tell the network, they have to have to be telling a larger story in the background or they're in deep trouble.
-_-

Back