Second Chances

Okay guys,

Here's the start to a sequel to my other story called, "Chance Encounter." Eventually this will be a three story arc. So for the time being . . . enjoy and of course remember that the feeback monster needs a little feeding.

Oh and here's the link to the previous story if you want to look at it (insert shameless plug)

Chance Encounter

Enjoy!

LaFemme :redhair:

Second Chances
By LaFemme

“Sydney!” Vaughn called out.

“Vaughn!” she shouted back.

“Time to extraction?!” he asked, a slight sense of panic heard in his voice. This was supposed to be a simple recon mission. However, in a world of lies, betrayal and deceit, nothing was as it should be. Sydney and Vaughn found themselves pinned down and were unable to move. The mission itself was successful. However, their extraction was another story. Their presence was detected by the Covenant and now, both hoped and prayed support would come soon.

“Sydney!” Vaughn called out once more. Gunfire made it difficult to be heard.

“What?” she shouted back again as she returned fire as well.

“How much longer till extraction?” Vaughn hoped they would arrive soon. If not, it would be time to go to Plan B, whatever the hell that would be.

“Vaughn! Look!” This time it was Sydney who shouted as she pointed up. Just then, as if someone from above had been listening; a chopper flew in to retrieve Vaughn and Sydney.

Once he saw the chopper, Vaughn began and barrage of cover fire. He then motioned for Sydney to go first. When she hesitated, he voice became more authoritative.

“GO!” he commanded.

Sydney nodded, realizing that once she was in the chopper, she could provide cover fire as well for Vaughn. Once Sydney made it to the chopper, she turned and motioned for Vaughn to come. She shouted for the pilot to lay down more cover fire as Vaughn began to arise from his spot. As Sydney turned back towards Vaughn, she watched in horror as the ceiling overhead, under which they had hidden, collapsed. Vaughn was nowhere to be found.

“MICHAEL!” Sydney screamed.

“Without a moment’s hesitation, Sydney jumped from the chopper and ran back towards the now crumbled mass of debris. Sydney prayed that she would find some sign of life beneath the rubble. Finally, when she thought all was lost, Sydney heard a moan. It was Vaughn. She quickly pushed aside the rocks and debris until she could see Vaughn’s face.

“Michael, hang on . . . we’re going to get you out of here” Sydney assured Vaughn.

“Leave. Get the information back to base. I’m expendable.” He knew Sydney would probably not leave, but he had to try. He didn’t want her to die.

“No! That’s the end of it. I thought I lost you once. I’m not going to let it happen again. Besides, you still owe me a hockey rematch!” Sydney’s feeble attempt at humor actually made Vaughn laugh a little and in turn, this caused him to wince as the pain ran through his body.

Looking closer, Sydney determined that Vaughn was pinned down by a very large piece of rubble. Scanning the area, Sydney found a metal bar to use as a lever. She jabbed it into a space close but not too close to Vaughn’s legs. After three attempts, she finally managed to remove the offending piece of debris. Sydney reached down Vaughn to his feet. When Vaughn collapsed once more, she took it upon herself to carry him the only way possible; fireman style.

Sydney ran as fast as she could, almost falling once. When she made it to the chopper, she quickly closed the door. Once airborne, Sydney made a cursory exam of Vaughn for injuries. Running her hands over his arms and legs as well as his chest, she surmised that he had some bruising and minor lacerations. He also had a broken wrist. When Sydney placed her hand on Vaughn’s back, he screamed in response. She was instantly worried. Sydney had no real medical expertise and when it came to this type of injury; specifically his back, the only thing she could do for the moment was to give him something for the pain.

Upon returning to California, the chopper made its way to the Naval Hospital once more. A medical team had been apprised of the situation and therefore was placed on standby. Upon arrival, Vaughn was quickly unloaded and placed onto an awaiting gurney. Sydney watched as Vaughn floated in and out of consciousness. The sedatives he’d been given on the trip over were beginning to take effect. Vaughn though still managed to turn his head to the left, straining to hear the conversation that was occurring. However, it was a glimpse of something else that caught his eye.

Blanche was sleeping in a bed at the hospital.

ooh! sequal!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me! one quick queston are Blanche and Vaughn in love? Beacuse I will die if they end up together! But your the almighty writer.

karlee said:
ooh! sequal!!!!!!!!!!!! pm me! one quick queston are Blanche and Vaughn in love? Beacuse I will die if they end up together! But your the almighty writer.
Are they in love? That is a good question . . . hmm . . .

So let me answer a question with a question . . .

Maybe someone can love another and not be in love? Hey Karlee, if you want PM me. I need to bounce some ideas of off someone who understands the characters well of Alias. Insight is helpful.

I'll post more on Sunday or Monday, depending on how fast I clean my house.

Sorry it took so long to update, life's been busy, plus I'm trying to finish my other story of "Virtually" in Love for the Valentine's contest. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Feedback is always nice ;)

It had been almost eight hours before Sydney was able to learn anything regarding Vaughn’s condition. However, before she was permitted to visit him, Jack Bristow, her father, requested a visit with her first. As much as she loved her father, Sydney did not want to speak with him at the moment. She wanted to see Vaughn, but Jack made it clear that his request was not an option. Therefore, in a somewhat reluctant fashion, Sydney made her way to the office her father was using.

Once inside, she found Jack seated behind a desk, working at a computer. With a slight nod, indicating his acknowledgement of her presence, Jack motioned for Sydney to take a seat. She obliged, more out desire to see Vaughn rather than please her father.

“So, how are you doing?” Jack inquired.

“Fine” Sydney replied as a hint or irritation heard in her voice.

“What went wrong?” Jack continued, not looking up from his computer.

“We were compromised. I’ll be sure to provide you all the necessary details in debrief later.” Sydney hoped this conversation would end soon.

“I think you need some rest. You and Agent Vaughn suffered quite a bit of stress and injury during this last operation. Perhaps some time off would help?”

As much as Sydney had grown closer to her father, she still didn’t trust him. She hated it when he played mind games. “Why are you so caring all of the sudden? I thought relationships were discouraged at the CIA?”

Jack smiled. He knew his daughter and he knew how to push her buttons. “Sydney, your personal life is not always of concern to me. If you want to continue your relationship with Agent Vaughn, that is your prerogative. I was speaking of you taking some brief down time. If you would like to spend your time off with Agent Vaughn, then that is your choice.”

Damn, I’ve got to get hold of my emotions, Sydney thought to herself. However, she quickly recovered from her father’s attempt to manipulate her emotions. “Agent Vaughn and I are . . . professionals as well as . . . partners. I think I’ll check and see how he’s doing.”

“That’s a good idea. I’ll join you later,” and with these words and a slight wave of his hand, Sydney’s conversation with her father was ended. After leaving, Kendall along with a woman walked in through another door.

“Does she know?” Kendall inquired.

“She suspects something. However, at this point, she no idea as to what we need to do. Neither does Agent Vaughn for that matter.”

“Well, I hope for your sake, the plan works. If not, then we may lose two operatives and possibly a third” the woman countered.

Sydney made her way to Vaughn’s room, where she could check upon his progress. She hoped everything would be okay. When she arrived, she found Vaughn asleep in his bed. He looked so peaceful, quite a difference from the last vision that was burned into Sydney’s memory; Vaughn had been sedated after the building collapsed upon him during the last mission. Sydney just prayed that everything would be okay.

Leaning over his sleeping form, Sydney carefully brushed a kiss across Vaughn’s lips. His eyes fluttered in response as he opened them, smiling weakly.

“Hey,” his voice strained. Sydney obliged Vaughn with a glass of water that had been near his bed.

“How are you feeling?” she asked. Sydney could pretty much surmise his physical appearance. Aside from some scrapes and abrasions, there didn’t seem to be much overt damage. However, she was also concerned for his emotional state as well. For some strange reason, Sydney had been able to tell what Vaughn was really feeling just by the tone of his voice.

“I’m good. Did we do okay?” he asked. Sydney sighed. The CIA seems to always to come first, even before your health.

“We did fine. I’m going to debrief my dad later today” she answered.

“How long have I been here?” Vaughn asked. He was hoping to go home as soon as possible. His displeasure of hospitals had always been a well know fact between him and Weiss. Once, things got out of hand to the point of a bedpan flying through the air, hitting Weiss in the process.

“About twenty-four hours, give or take” Sydney answered.

“Man, I need to get out of here,” Vaughn decided as he tried to swing his legs over the side of the hospital bed. However, Sydney noticed that although he tried to move, it seemed to be . . . that he could not.

“Syd?” he said, a slight panic showing in his voice.

“Vaughn? What’s wrong?”

“I can’t move my legs,” he told her, a numbness now heard in his voice.

“WHAT?” Sydney questioned, the volume of her voice causing a nurse in the hallway to stop in and see if there was anything wrong.

“Vaughn cannot walk.” It was at that moment that Jack entered the room. Sydney’s concern turned to anger as her father entered the room.

“What the hell does that mean? Is this some kind of sick joke? Because if it is, I’m not laughing! I swear, if this is some kind of game you’re playing I . . .”

“Sydney,” her father countered, trying to calm her down in the process. “Vaughn cannot walk for the moment. Apparently he suffered some bruising to the spine. There is some swelling that needs to decrease before we can look into Vaughn regaining the usage of his legs.”

“So he’ll walk again?” Sydney was having a difficult time processing all the information her father has just “downloaded” into her mind. Jack could see the frustration crossing Sydney’s face. As much as he loved his daughter, he was growing tired of this unnecessary arguing with Sydney. He needed very much to move onto the next phase of the plan. Sydney would hardly like what he had planned, but as the old saying goes, “the ends would justify the means.”

It was at that moment, that Vaughn chose to speak, interrupting Sydney and Jack’s argument in the process.

“Where’s Blanche?”

“Allow me,” another voice called from the doorway. Both Sydney and Jack turned their attention to a woman now standing in the entrance to Vaughn’s room. She appeared to be a doctor, judging from the uniform she wore. She stood about five feet tall, petite, with her blond hair pulled back into a small bun.

The woman did not speak, but rather, she helped Vaughn move from his bed, to a wheelchair. Once he was seated and his legs covered, the woman began to wheel Vaughn down the corridor. Sydney and Jack trailed behind, a look of confusion still covering Sydney’s face.

Her confusion was elevated further, as the woman stopped the wheelchair at an unmarked room. From the outside, it appeared to be a regular hospital room. The woman opened the door, wheeling in Vaughn and allowing Sydney to follow along with Jack.

Lying on a bed, looking considerably better than the last time he saw her, was Blanche. This was the mysterious young lady who saved Vaughn’s life about a year ago. Vaughn was quiet as he was wheeled closer to Blanche’s bed. Gently, he extended his hand and took Blanche’s hand in his, a slight smile crossing his face. Slowly, Blanche’s eyes opened. She looked at Vaughn and
smiled in return

“Who are you?” she asked.

The joy that was on Vaughn’s face, disappeared in an instant.

Second Chances
Chapter 3

The silence, which hung in the room, was finally broken by the mysterious woman who had wheeled Vaughn into Blanche’s room. “Blanche, this is Michael and Sydney. Michael was the friend I was telling you about. Remember?”

Blanche smiled as she held out her hand in an almost childlike fashion. “Hello. Laura has told me that we used to know each other. I’m sorry though, I can’t seem to remember.” She shrugged her shoulders. “My memory isn’t as good as I would like it to be.”

“That’s okay. I’m sure you’ll get better,” Vaughn answered, putting his best face forward. However, the confusion he was able to hide from Blanche, was all too evident to Sydney. Vaughn was shaken from his momentary reverie when Laura spoke.

“Agent Vaughn, I need to speak with you and Agent Bristow, if you don’t mind?” Sydney began to follow Vaughn out into the corridor when Laura put her hand up, indicating she was not the Agent Bristow with whom she wanted to speak.

“I’m sorry, Sydney . . . is it? Would you mind keeping Blanche company for a moment?”

As soon as Jack wheeled Vaughn out into the hallway, he looked up at this woman who identified herself as Laura. He had only one question on his mind. “How?” Vaughn was certainly happy to see Blanche alive, but he wondered what exactly was going on and what part was he expected to play.

Laura nodded, satisfied that she now had Vaughn’s undivided attention. “When Jack brought Blanche to us, she was near death,”

“You were responsible?” Vaughn demanded as he looked at Jack.

Laura, however, regained control of the conversation. “Agent Vaughn, allow me to finish. As I was saying, Blanche was near death. Apparently her will to survive was strong enough to help her body recover from the physical trauma of saving your life. However, that didn’t stop her from slipping into a coma for the better part of a year. She only regained consciousness in the past few days.”

“And I take it there’s more?” Vaughn questioned, trying to take in all he was being told.

“Well, when Blanche awoke, the first thing that we discovered was that she had suffered a memory loss and as a result there’s been a strange side effect as well.”

“What side effect?” Vaughn’s curiosity was piqued.

“Besides being unable to remember anything of her life with Phoenix and such, she’s also forgotten that she possesses some rather unique talents. We want you to help her remember.” Laura stopped, for a moment, allowing Vaughn to contemplate her proposal.

“So, how am I supposed to help her? And by the way, who the hell are you?” The irritation in Vaughn’s voice was all too readily apparent. Jack was silent.

“My name is Laura Evans. Perhaps you remember my sister Carson Evans?”

Vaughn thought for a moment, and then it came back to him. Carson Evans was the woman who had put Sydney through hell, all in the name of damned prophecy, which actually never came to fruition. “I remember,” was the only response Vaughn would allow Laura to hear from his lips.

“Good. Then perhaps we can get started,” she replied.

“Wait just a minute. You didn’t tell me how I am supposed to help her?” Vaughn pressed. He wanted a direct answer, but he doubted this woman would give him one.

“Well as best we can figure, Blanche’s abilities are emotionally based. From what little we could gather, you and she had a . . . um . . . intimate encounter during the time you recovered at her residence. The connection that was forged between the two of you allowed Blanche to save you from what would have otherwise been deadly injuries.”

“So what is it that you need me to do?” Vaughn questioned, not really sure what this woman was asking of him.

“We want you to reestablish the bond the two of you had when you first encountered Blanche,” Laura explained.

“How?” Vaughn asked.

“Through whatever means necessary,” Laura’s answer was direct and to the point. “Agent Vaughn, there is one other thing for you to consider.”

“What is that?” he replied.

“She may help you walk again, if you can reconnect with her once more.” With those words, Laura turned and walked away, leaving Vaughn to dwell on the implication of their conversation. Jack quickly followed.

Placing his head in his hands, Vaughn tried to think of a way out of this situation. He didn’t know what to do or what to tell Sydney. Feeling the touch of a hand on his shoulder, Vaughn looked up and saw Sydney; his guiding light, his strength. He longed to tell her what just occurred, but he couldn’t. For the moment, Vaughn needed some time to think. He hated it when the DSR or any agency played mind games. No one ever won and there were usually too many casualties to make their so called operations justifiable.

Too tired to think, Vaughn looked up at Sydney and made only one request. “Can you take me back to my room?”

Sydney was worried. She gathered that the conversation with this woman, this Laura, had upset Vaughn, but she also knew something else. Vaughn was not ready to talk. He would let her know when the time was right. For the moment, she smiled and wheeled him back to his room. Upon entering the room, Sydney helped Vaughn into his bed, and within moments of his head hitting the pillow, he quickly fell asleep.

Later that night, an assault of took place in the minds of two people. The images struck Blanche without warning as she slept. They were images of Michael . . . her friend Michael . . .

Images of Michael struggling . . .

Images of Michael fighting . . .

He was crying out, hoping to find something . . . no . . . someone.

Rousing Blanche from her slumber, she knew something had to be done . . . something compelled her to find . . . someone in need . . .

Vaughn’s sleep was far from fitful that night. He too struggled against a barrage of nightmares which invaded his mind as he slept. They were relentless.

He remembered when he was hurt and how Blanche cared for him. Her touch was as gentle as a breeze, causing no discomfort . . . only peace.

He remembered when he had almost lost Blanche to the icy waters of the lake she had fallen into while skating.

He remembered the night they comforted each other . . .

And then the images turned darker . . .

He remembered when Blanche betrayed him, setting fire to the wicker Phoenix in which was imprisoned . . .

This can’t be . . .
Vaughn thought to himself. It was then that Vaughn saw another image. He remembered Sydney pulling him from the burning Phoenix. He remembered Blanche’s touch, saving him . . . but then she died . . . but didn’t she try to kill him? Now she was alive . . . it was too much . . .

“BLANCHE!” he cried out, but no one answered.

Vaughn then awoke from his nightmare, feeling the touch of a hand on his cheek.
“Michael?” It was Blanche, seated next to him on his bed. She was there, holding him, offering comfort from what had obviously been a terrible ordeal. Vaughn now focused his eyes on Blanche; it all seemed like a dream, confusion clouding the moment.

Just then, and without hesitation, Vaughn reached out and kissed Blanche. However, this was no mere brush against the lips. This kiss held much more; a hunger that needed to be satisfied. Instead of backing away, Blanche returned the kiss, quenching Vaughn’s hunger as best she could. Breaking the kiss, Vaughn stopped and looked once more into Blanche’s eyes. Blanche in turn responded by placing her hand on Vaughn’s thigh, allowing it to rest for a moment.

That is . . . until Vaughn’s right leg twitched.

“Oh my god . . .” was all that Blanche could offer to what she saw.

Vaughn was left speechless once more. All he could think was, ‘What the hell just happened?’

Hope you guys like it. I know it's a little different. Sydney does have a part in things. It's a little bit like a supporting role, but I hope some of you will read it and leave feedback.

I must admit I am torn here. I am a S/V shipper, but I do really like Blanche so I am just going to have to trust you and see how this turns out.
Thanks for the PM

Nancy O said:
I must admit I am torn here. I am a S/V shipper, but I do really like Blanche so I am just going to have to trust you and see how this turns out.
Thanks for the PM
I actually have to agree with you about being torn. I'm also a S/V shipper but Blanche is a unique character that I've created. It's going to be interesting to see how this story turns out. I sort of know where I want to go, but the journey itself will be difficult.

We shall see

:redhair:

Nancy O said:
Thanks for the PM
I am torn too. Great chapter Please post more soon.

Second Chances
Chapter 4

News of Vaughn’s late night encounter with Blanche as well as the result, spread quickly throughout the medical center, eventually reaching their way to Ops. Although no one knew exactly what had occurred, word of this “mystery woman” seemed to reach every nook and cranny of the CIA’s massive lair. Sydney, Weiss and even Kendall came by to check on Vaughn’s progress and to catch more of this woman with the healing touch.

Although Vaughn was certainly pleased with his current recovery, he still couldn’t help but wonder what Dr. Evans was planning; what part he was to play in her scheme of things to come. He shuddered at that thought; thinking back, he remembered what her sister, Carson Evans, had done to Sydney, almost imprisoning her for supposedly being the focus of Rambaldi’s so called prophecy. She was ready to lock Sydney away for life without so much as a trial, let alone the concept of due process.

Vaughn’s suspicions were raised even more when Dr. Evans suggested that he could return home soon and that Blanche would accompany him to help in his recovery process. She would function as a nurse and therapist of sorts. Dr. Evans also reminded Vaughn that it was imperative for Blanche to regain her memory so that she could help accelerate his recovery and thereby return him to active duty. As much as Vaughn wanted to tell this woman to go to hell, he did not. He did not want to see held to a fate that Carson Evans had planned for Sydney . . . simply put . . . no freedom.

Vaughn was not the only suspicious of Blanche’s living with him. Sydney learned long ago that there are few to trust in the CIA and especially the DSR. An impending conversation made Sydney even more apprehensive of Dr. Evans plan for Vaughn’s recovery.

Approaching Dr. Evan’s office, Sydney paused for a moment. She wanted to collect her thoughts before speaking with this woman. In a sense, Sydney needed to compartmentalize once more. She did not want Dr. Evans to get an inkling of her true emotions or feelings when he it came to Vaughn. It would be necessary to make her that her “mask” was set in place. Now she was ready for whatever would happen.

Upon entering the room, Sydney was motioned to sit down in a chair near Dr. Evans desk.

“Please . . . Agent Bristow. Thank you for coming to see me. I’m sure you must have some questions . . .” she began, waiting for Sydney to take the baited words.

“I’m quite sure you know exactly what I want to talk about,” Sydney answered.

“Actually, no . . . I do not . . . and I do not like to speculate,” was the response Dr. Evans provided in a non-threatening tone of voice.

Keeping herself calm, Sydney felt the direct approach was best. “I want to know why you are putting Blanche into Vaughn’s apartment. Hasn’t he suffered enough? Her name is bound to provoke memories . . .”

Smiling, Dr. Evans interrupted. “I’m sure that Agent Vaughn can handle himself. Isn’t that what he was trained for?”

“Well, yes . . . but . . .” Sydney protested.

Dr. Evans cut Sydney off once more in mid-sentence. “I’m quite surprised Agent Bristow. I though that even you could see that Agent Vaughn and Blanche should be together. They belong . . . to each other.” She paused for a moment, allowing what she had said to sink into Sydney’s mind.

As she sat back, Sydney thought to last night’s events. Vaughn had told her, guilt still running through his conscience. Vaughn was dreaming about Blanche when he was first able to move his leg. Blanche in turn had awoken him from his nightmare. They kissed and then . . . there was movement in his leg.

The anger that Sydney fought so hard to control began to rise as she realized what Dr. Evans was trying to do. “Intense emotion?” she asked.

Dr. Evans smiled. “Very good Agent Bristow. You see we’ve discovered that not all of Blanche’s memory is gone. She has moments where she remembers things from her past. Her strongest memories seem to be of a sister and of course . . . Agent Vaughn. There seems to be a link of sorts between Blanche and Vaughn. I’m sure you’re also aware of the fact that intense emotion and passion can produce phenomenal effects on a person’s well being. In the end, we hope that Blanche will regain full use of her abilities. She will make a valuable addition to our agency.

“Does Vaughn know what you’re planning? Does he realize that you’re going to turn Blanche into some sort of little robot?”

“Agent Vaughn will do as ordered. We’ve already spoken. If needed, I’m sure your father can help in that matter. He’s helped us many times before with you. If I’m not mistaken, he actually shaped you as a child. He helped you make the right choice Agent Bristow.”

Sydney paused for a moment, thinking back to when she learned how her father, her own father had manipulated her as a child. He had programmed her to become a spy through “Project Christmas.”

Several months prior . . .

Sydney stood in the rain for quite some time before she took shelter. She was soaked to the bone but none of that mattered. It was not the coldness of the rain that numbed her but rather what she had just learned about her father; something he had done to her as a child . . . Christmas . . . correction . . . project Christmas had forever changed her life.

Sydney watched as her father drove up. He rolled down the window.

“Sydney, get in!” he called out, but she did not move. When it became apparent that she would not join him in the car, Jack Bristow came to his daughter under the shelter.

“What is it?” he asked, but Sydney said nothing. She just stared at him. Finally she spoke.

“I have this memory . . . when I was six years old. My mother had just died in a car accident. I felt so scared. You remember home . . So who was going to take care of me? Then I overheard you talking. You were in your study talking on the phone. You were talking about Christmas; about me. You were taking care of my Christmas presents. Suddenly I felt so safe. YOU were taking care of me. That memory’s a lie!” The look in Sydney’s eyes told Jack all he needed to know. She knew the truth. She knew what he’d done to her.

“You weren’t talking about that all . . .”

“Sydney . . .” Jack tried to interrupt, but to little avail.

“I’ve seen the footage,” she countered. “Mom’s briefings with her KGB handlers; she was sent here for one specific purpose; to steal information from you about a project you were developing for the CIA . . . an operation to train children . . . to be American spies . . .project Christmas.”

Sydney continued; the wave of emotions she was feeling now overflowing from her and exiting through her eyes and her voice. “Ever since mom came back, you were afraid she’d figure out what you did to me; trying to protect me from her . . . you were trying to protect your secret! So the first opportunity you had, you set her up . . . in Madagascar . . .”

“Sydney, understand something . . .” Jack tried once more to tell things from his point of view, however Sydney was not finished.

“NO dad! You understand something . . . you took away my CHOICES in life. You programmed me to be a spy. I will never forgive you for this.” With those words, she turned and walked away into the rain.

How she made it to ops, she couldn’t recall, but she did remember walking in, confused, upset, torn. How could her own father have done that to her? Looking over to Vaughn’s desk, she saw him working. She was about to speak when he spotted her. Their eyes connected. Instantly, he knew something was wrong. As he stood up his desk and approached Sydney, she moved forward and met him halfway. She remembered how he took her into his embrace and comforted her, not even asking what had occurred, but just being there for him . . . it was enough.

Sydney sighed. She knew she needed to do the same for Vaughn, no matter what the cost. That was the least she owed him. He might not have many choices if Dr. Evans had her way, but Sydney would do for him as he had done for her. She would just . . . be there.

“Agent Bristow?” Dr. Evans spoke, interrupting Sydney from her momentary reverie.

“Huh? I’m sorry, I’m confused. Why do you need me? It seems you’ve got everything figured out.”

“It’s very simple. As Blanche regains her memory, she will look for someone to speak with, to share her feelings, someone she can talk to . . .”

“A sister,” Sydney offered. Now she had an idea of what Dr. Evans wanted. The thought of it made her sick.

“Correct. By acting as sister of sorts to Blanche, you will not only be saving Blanche, but Vaughn as well. You do realize that without Blanche, Vaughn might never walk again and well . . .” she let her words trail off, certain that Sydney would “get the point.”

“I get your meaning.”

“Good,” Dr. Evans replied as she sat back in her chair.

“I’ll do as you ask, but know this; it’s only because of Vaughn that I am helping you. Blanche is an innocent. I do not want to see her hurt. She’s not part of you guys.”

“She will be . . . soon,” Dr. Evans interjected.

“Not if I can help it. She needs to hold onto her sanity; what little she might have. She should never forget where she came from, or who she really is. Lord knows, once she does remember, I don’t want to see her suffer anymore. She’s already been through enough.”

“Don’t be too sure Agent Bristow. Jumping to conclusions can be dangerous.”

“You mean like your sister did? When she thought I was Rambaldi’s prophecy come to life?” Dr. Evans did not answer Sydney; instead she watch as Sydney turned and left the office. However she was certain of one thing. She and Vaughn would complete the mission.

Vaughn’s release from the hospital came about two days after Sydney’s conversation with Dr. Evans. Blanche was released as well. Waiting outside the hospital in the van provided, Sydney was not sure exactly what she would do. For the moment, she decided caution was best. She would speak with Vaughn as soon as she had an opportunity and then they would figure out what would be best for Vaughn and for Blanche. For the time being though, she needed to focus on getting Vaughn and Blanche home . . . safe and sound.

“Hey there!” she called out.

“Hey Syd!” Vaughn answered back.

“Ready?” Dr. Evans asked and she wheeled Vaughn up to the van. Blanche was standing beside them, happy to be leaving the confines of the hospital; even if it just was to Vaughn’s apartment. Once they were all secured in the van Sydney had borrowed, she started the ignition and began to head towards Michael’s apartment. The drive to the apartment went relatively quiet. Few words were spoken between Sydney and Vaughn as he seemed to be lost in thought. Sydney thought of asking Vaughn what exactly Dr. Evans had said to him, but she decided now was not the time.

Upon arriving, Blanche stepped out first, heading towards the entrance to Vaughn’s apartment. Once she entered, Blanche began her exploration of Vaughn’s apartment, taking in all that was presented before her . . . or not.

“Wow! This place is uh . . . interesting,” Blanche commented, much like a child at Disneyland rather than a potential operative or asset.

Sydney wheeled Vaughn through the front door. As they stopped in the living room, both watched Blanche continue her mental inventory of Vaughn’s apartment. Sydney left Vaughn in the living room, indicating she needed to put a few things away in the refrigerator.

“Michael?” Blanche finally spoke, a questioning tone in her voice.

“Yeah?” he responded.

“Were you robbed?” she asked.

Sydney stopped for a moment. Did someone break into Vaughn’s apartment? Was in Sloane? The Triad? Who then?

“I mean, WHERE’S THE FURNITURE?”

Sydney, who’d been drinking a glass of water, began to laugh and almost choked on a small cookie she was eating. Vaughn looked over at Sydney and after seeing that she was okay, he chuckled, trying to come up with a plausible answer for Blanche. Apparently she didn’t understand Vaughn’s minimalist approach to home furnishing.

“Well, I haven’t had time to really decorate or shop.”

“That’s fine, but didn't disco die in the 70’s?” Vaughn was surprised at the passion in Blanche’s voice, seeking an honest answer. She obviously couldn’t understand Vaughn’s taste when it came to home decorations or lack of taste as she had determined.

Sydney took this moment to excuse herself and head for home. She offered an explanation of having a date with someone named Eric. Vaughn laughed a little. Knowing that this must be a part of Dr. Evan’s plan, Vaughn allowed Sydney to leave, but not before issuing one final comment.

“Play it safe Sydney. Remember, safety first!” Sydney stuck her tongue out in reply, shutting the door as she left.

They were now alone . . . Vaughn and Simone.

Vaughn wasn’t sure what would happen next, but his body did. As he yawned, Blanche looked at him and asked, “Tired?”

“A little,” he nodded, finding it was hard to keep his eyes open.

“Where’s your room?” she asked.

“It’s down the hall. You can sleep there. I’ll take the couch.” Vaughn didn’t feel like moving much other than to the couch. He also knew that Dr. Evans was trying to force something to happen between him and Blanche, but Vaughn knew that things would have to occur in their own time.

“Nonsense, it’s your place. I’ll help you,” Blanche asserted and she began to wheel Vaughn down to his room.

Feeling no desire to argue with Blanche, Vaughn nodded in agreement. Once they reached the bedroom, she leaned down and placed Vaughn’s right arm on her shoulder and her left arm around his waist. Being careful so as not to cause further injury, Blanche guided Vaughn to his bed. She tried to help him further, but Vaughn assured her that he was capable of undressing himself for bed. Blanche nodded and closed the door. After making her bed on the living room sofa, it didn’t take long for Blanche to fall asleep.

The nightmare returned, this time more vivid. Blanche was going to escape with Vaughn, but Sloane came and took her away. Then when she awoke, she remembered dropping the torch, setting fire to the Phoenix . . . the Phoenix in which Vaughn was imprisoned. His life was slipping away. When Sydney pulled him free, he was covered with burns . . . so many burns . . . they hurt . . . the pain. As she touched him . . . to heal him . . . she called out his name . . . MICHAEL . . . MICHAEL! She didn’t know if he would live or die . . .

Vaughn had heard the screaming and woke up in an instant. Putting his own pain aside, Vaughn maneuvered himself into the wheelchair and began to make his way down the hallway.

As he approached the living room, Vaughn saw Blanche. She was having some sort of night terror. What happened next took Vaughn completely by surprise. A large wall hanging was sent flying at Vaughn. He had no time to react. In a futile attempt, Vaughn put up his arm to block the flying object, but in doing so, he missed the other large ceramic sculpture that came his way.

It was at that moment Blanche awoke. Looking to her left, she saw Vaughn’s crumpled heap near the wheelchair. He was not moving.

“MICHAEL!” she cried out.

Racing over to him, and not knowing what condition he was in, Blanche gently turned Vaughn so that she could look at him. Blood ran down the front of his face, a nasty gash just above his right eyebrow . . . blood still flowing.

Blanche began to cry. “Oh god Michael, what have I done? Please God tell me what have I done?”

I like what you are doing here, but I am not sure that
syd would be that accepting about Blanche being with
Vaughn. Seems like she gave in too easily. Maybe I am just
being jealous here, but still seems too easy. That said, how hard did she
hit Vaughn anyway? Please don't hurt him too much. He is too
good looking. LOL
Glad you brought in Project Christmas here.
Thanks for the PM

Hey there!

I know it's been a while since I updated this one. I do have one more chapter for now and NOW I think I figured out how to go on to chapter 6. Of course, the uh . . . crash didn't help things.

So, this is a sequel to "Chance Encounter" and if you haven't read it, there's a link at the bottom of this post.

Now, as you read I ask you to keep the following in mind -

1. All three characters (Sydney, Vaughn, and Blanche) ARE being manipulated; hence the conflict I've been trying to figure out what the hell to do with.

2. The ending of this chapter may make you wonder, but have faith. The next two chapters will answer things and maybe raise more questions (no, I didn't go to the school of JJ writing)

3. Vaughn is bad, but the only question is HOW bad?

And finally, patience . . . it works for me when all else fails.

Fear; it can paralyze us or it can move us to do incredible things. It can cripple us or give us strength when needed. In Blanche’s case, fear provided the necessary adrenaline to resolve her current problem. Vaughn, who had tried to come to Blanche’s rescue just minutes ago, was now the one who needed assistance. Coming out of her momentary trance, Blanche watched as Vaughn began to stir. Propping his body up against the wall in the hallway, he sat up and placed his hand to his forehead, feeling the warmth of his own blood. A slight groan escaped his lips.

“What happened?” he asked as he tried to get his bearings.

Crying more out of relief than fear, Blanche answered, “Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to wake a sleepwalker?”

Vaughn looked up and Blanche, who was now apparently happy for some odd reason, and winced a little as he still held his hand to his forehead. “A sleepwalker yes, but you were still asleep on the sofa. What happened?”

Blanche shrugged her shoulders. “Sometimes, my abilities have ways of appearing when I least expect them. I was told that one night, I caused some problems at the hospital. I had a nightmare and from what the doctors tell me, I must have wrecked my entire room; flying bedpans and all. I don’t know what happened, nor do I know when it will happen again. It just does.” Blanche paused for a moment. She then focused her attention back to Vaughn, touching his forehead, the blood beginning to dry. “Man, I must have done quite a number on your head. Let me take a look at it.”

Helping Vaughn back into the wheelchair, Blanche wheeled him back to his room. It wasn’t an easy task getting Vaughn back into his bed, since he had no movement in his legs. However, once he was propped up in bed, Blanche went to look for a first aid kit.

“Vaughn?” she called out.

“Yeah?” he answered, still a little groggy.

“Where’s your first-aid kit?” she asked.

“In the bathroom, below the sink,” he told her.

“Okay, thanks.”

Upon finding it, Blanche returned to the bedroom and proceeded to clean the gash above Vaughn’s left eye. Closing his eyes, Vaughn braced for the impact of the alcohol on his skin. There was none. Blanche’s touch was actually gentle, almost soothing. She continued with her ministrations as he released a breath that he had forgotten he’d been holding.

Blanche’s touch brought back memories for Vaughn; they were memories of long ago. It was a time when Vaughn wouldn’t have minded not returning to the CIA. He thought Sydney had died, but later found that to be a lie. He remembered the first time that Blanche had healed him and how it felt. It was an unforgettable experience.

Just as Simone was placing the final piece of tape across the bandage on Vaughn’s forehead, a strange sensation overcame him. A tingling sensation began to course throughout his body. It was something he’d never felt before. Not knowing why, Vaughn leaned forward and kissed Simone once more. It was such a simple kiss, but it provoked an incredible reaction. Vaughn began to feel some movement in his legs again. Blanche’s eyes widened in response as she saw him move his left foot; slightly, but he did move it.

“Vaughn! Oh my god, did I do that?” It was clear to Vaughn that Blanche did not fully understand the extent of her abilities.

“Oui, mon amie . . . tu es responsible,” Vaughn replied in his native tongue.

Blanche’s face became a bit flushed as Vaughn’s compliment, but she quickly recovered and in response, kissed Vaughn back. This time however, there was a sense of familiarity to it. It was as if two lost souls had found one another, each remembering some pleasantries of the past. Vaughn closed his eyes as he felt Blanche’s hand glide down his chest, his abdomen, and stopping at the drawstring of his pajama bottoms. He noticed her hesitation. Perhaps, he thought, I’m rushing things . . . why am I doing this . . . this doesn’t seem right . . Sydney . . . I never told her . . . what happened . . . before . . .

“What wrong?” he asked Blanche. He knew his body craved Blanche’s touch, but his soul longed for Sydney.

“I’m not sure . . . it feels right what I want to do, but I’m still confused . . . I just do not know . . . what to do?” Blanche’s frayed emotions were evident in her voice.

Vaughn could see the visible signs of Blanche’s fatigue. He wanted to touch her, to feel her again, but now was not the time. Instead, he gently cupped her face in his hands, and placed a kiss on the top of her head.

“You’ll know Blanche. When it’s time, you’ll know what to do. For now, you’re doing fine.” Vaughn drew Blanche closer to him, and gave her a reassuring hug. Blanche could feel Vaughn’s warmth and it comforted her. She felt her eyelids growing heavier and heavier and before she knew it, she fell asleep.

Vaughn looked down at the incredible young lady in his arms. Releasing a breath he’d been holding, Vaughn sighed. He was torn. On the one hand, there was Sydney. She was truly the light of his life. She brought order to his otherwise chaotic life. She was the first person who could truly understand his world. He understood the love he shared for Sydney.

However, then there was Blanche. He’d met her through a simple “chance encounter” and she too carved out a niche in his heart. It was different though. He did love Blanche, but not the same way as Sydney. Vaughn didn’t even understand what there was between he and Blanche, but he knew something was there; a bond perhaps.

In all, Vaughn was truly a man split in two; torn between Sydney and Blanche. He loved these two women; but in two completely different ways. With Sydney, he knew he loved her with all his heart, body, and soul. For Blanche, there was a love, but sometimes, even Vaughn wondered if there wasn’t something affecting him; perhaps Dr. Evans. What did she want with Blanche once she regained her abilities? What if Blanche didn’t want to work for the government? If she did work, would she truly be free? Should he tell Sydney that he and Blanche slept together? What would Sydney say? Vaughn yawned as the weight of his questions began to way on him and soon, he too fell fast asleep.

Wednesday morning proved to be relatively boring and uneventful for Blanche and Vaughn. Waking up early, Blanche took on the role of Vaughn’s caretaker; putting him through a series of grueling but necessary exercises that had been explained to her by Dr. Evans. Blanche did not know that she might be able to accelerate Vaughn’s recovery. She was however, informed by Dr. Evans that since she and Vaughn had been good friends in the past, this would be a good opportunity for her to not only help out a friend in need, but to possibly remember who she was; to regain her identity. That was something she did long for and if Vaughn could provide it; even better.

Their otherwise blasé day was eventually interrupted by a knock at the door.

“I’ll get it,” Blanche called out.

“Okay . . . ugh . . .” Vaughn answered as he finished the last of his exercises.

Blanche went to the door and opened it. It was Sydney. “Hey there, how are you doing?” she asked.

“Good,” Blanche answered. “Come on in,” she motioned.

Sydney walked into Vaughn’s apartment, unsure of what exactly she would find or what she would say. Although she wanted to help Blanche, Sydney couldn’t help but feel a slight twinge of jealousy as glanced at Blanche’s morning-clad form.

“Where’s Vaughn?” she asked, but she quickly had her answer. A sound, which emanated from Vaughn’s bedroom, immediately drew her attention. Making her way down the hallway, Sydney was pleasantly surprised at her discovery. Vaughn was finishing the last of his morning exercises that had been prescribed for him by Dr. Evans.

Smiling, Sydney spoke. “Hey there,” she called out.

“Hey,” Vaughn answered, a bit out of breath.

“You want to come down and have an early lunch with us?” she offered.

“Sure, what’s on the menu?” Vaughn responded.

“Um . . . I’ll have to ask Blanche, but I’m sure you’ll like it. Let’s go!”

Sydney went to the left side of Vaughn’s bed and retrieved his wheelchair. She helped him into it and began to wheel him down the hallway.

“Syd, we need to talk . . .” Vaughn began, his voice lowered to a whisper.

“I know. What I don’t know is what to make of this Dr. Evans,” she responded, stopping for a minute in the hallway.

“Well, maybe later we can continue? I know something is going on, but I don’t like being kept in the dark.” Vaughn was clearly no fool. He, along with Sydney, knew that Dr. Evans had a secondary agenda, but the trouble was, neither one of them knew exactly she had planned. Perhaps with Blanche’s help . . .

“Hey you guys ready for lunch?” Blanche called out.

“We’re coming!” Vaughn shouted back as Sydney continued to wheel him down the hallway.

Lunchtime for Sydney, Vaughn and Blanche was nice and simple. Their conversation primarily consisted of small chitchat along with Blanche’s stories of when she first awoke from her year long coma. Sydney also offered stories of embarrassing moments in Vaughn’s life, and Vaughn countered with a few of his own.

“Well, there was the first time I met Sydney and her uh . . . red hair . . . at least I think I can you can call it red,” Vaughn began, a slight smile crossing his face.

“Oh really . . . well let me think,” Sydney countered. “How about the time when Eric booby-trapped your desk with the uh . . . flying . . . ?” she asked, a smirk now firmly planted on her face at the moment.

“Wait, how did you find out about that? Oh I’m so going to get him back! So how about the time you tripped and fell? I never knew that a Starbucks' Mocha could fly so far!”

Sydney’s response was to stick her tongue out at Vaughn. He couldn’t help but laugh. Blanche enjoyed watching the interaction between the two of them. The remainder of the lunchtime conversation continued much the same until a yawn from Vaughn indicated that perhaps lunch was over.

“Tired?” Sydney asked.

“Um . . . nah . . . well . . . “Vaughn tried to stifle his yawn, but to little avail.

“Uh huh . . . I think you need to rest,” Sydney decided as she stood up from the table. After helping Vaughn once more into his wheelchair, she took him back to his bedroom. Blanche in turn cleared the table and when she was done, she sat down on the sofa and began to flip through the channels.

“Hey,” Sydney called out, interrupting Blanche’s channel surfing. “So how are things,” she asked as she plopped herself down on the sofa next to Blanche.

“It’s okay. I mean, I make Michael do the exercises Dr. Evans gave me. I still don’t remember much. It comes in bits and pieces.”

“So . . . how are things between you and Vaughn?” Sydney asked. She knew the approach she was taking was not exactly subtle, but it would do for the moment. Sometimes the direct approach was best. Blanche paused for a moment, picking up a steaming cup of tea, she’d placed on the end table, as she pondered Sydney’s question.

“I’m being tested aren’t I?” Blanche asked. She could tell that Sydney was a bit surprised by her question.

“Sydney, I may be young, but I’m far from stupid. It’s didn’t take long for me to figure out that Dr. Evans had a reason for putting me with Vaughn. I’m not exactly certain, but I’m betting it has something to do with my abilities in which Dr. Evans seems to have taken such an interest.”

As Sydney listened to Blanche continue to speak, she began to realize that Blanche would be not only a formidable ally, but someone who was an independent spirit as well. “Dr. Evans seems to think that you can help Vaughn walk again.”

“Do you mean that might therapist skills aren’t good enough?” Blanche now had an even clearer picture. She thought for a moment. Each time that Vaughn felt movement in his legs, Blanche had an emotion feeling for Vaughn. It was as if there was a bond growing between the two of them. Blanche knew very little of this bond other than it had affected Vaughn’s recovery, not to mention her own unique abilities as well.

“Something like that,” Sydney interjected. She was finding that she admired this young woman more and more. “Look Blanche. I know you and Vaughn shared some time together. You saved his life and you may help him recover much quicker that ever imagined. I can’t tell you how to run your life, but I’d like to tell you one thing about working for Dr. Evans, the DSR or the CIA. Do you mind?”

Blanche was intrigued. “No, please go ahead.”

“Blanche, do whatever you need to do, as you were instructed or otherwise, but make sure you can live with whatever choices you make. Don’t let them bleed your soul.” Sydney knew that she had to do as Dr. Evans had “suggested” for Vaughn’s sake. However, she’d be damned, if she was going to allow this Dr. Evans to keep Blanche as some sort of lab rat; to be studied, poked, and prodded and to be let out of her cage occasionally.

“I will Sydney. I’m a pretty smart person when needed.”

Noticing that Blanche too was beginning to yawn, Sydney took the moment to excuse herself and head home for the afternoon. “Well, why don’t I go? You look like you could use some rest yourself. I think you and Vaughn are going to be fine. Call me if you need anything.”

“Sure, and thanks Sydney,” Blanche responded.

“For what?” Sydney asked as she stood near the door.

“For being honest.” To Blanche, honesty was a rare quality to find in people. Once Sydney had shut the door, Blanche began to think. It seemed that Dr. Evans wanted Blanche and Vaughn to become lovers. A slight smile crossed her face at that thought. It was that she didn’t find Vaughn handsome and attractive, but on the other hand, Blanche did not like being manipulated. Plus, it was clear to her that there was something between Sydney and Vaughn.

Thinking once more, Blanche couldn’t deny the physical attraction she had for Vaughn. She knew that they had shared a brief past, but the details of it still escaped her. Well maybe, I’ll take a nap too, Blanche thought to herself. Looking at Vaughn’s open door to his room and the sofa, she sighed. The sofa, while okay, was not as comfortable as a bed.

Standing in the doorway, Blanche watched as Vaughn slept; his chest rising and falling with each breath he took. Carefully crawling onto the bed, she laid down beside Vaughn, being careful as to not wake him. Although he did not awaken, Vaughn moved closer to Blanche, drawing her to him much like a small teddy bear. Blanche sighed. She finally felt a sense of peace and soon she fell asleep, her eyes no longer able to stay open.

Later that night, Blanche awoke from her slumber to Vaughn’s thrashing about on the bed. Looking over, she could tell that he was having some sort of nightmare. Blanche shook him in an effort to wake up, but it did not work.

“Vaughn! Vaughn!” she cried, using his last name as Sydney usually did. He responded to her voice by lashing out at her with his hand, connecting directly with her face. Blanche was momentarily stunned, but she quickly recovered. She realized that Vaughn didn’t know what he was doing as his eyes were still closed.

In an instant, Blanche responded to the situation by straddling herself across Vaughn’s muscular chest. Reaching down, she grabbed both of his hands, hoping he would actually stop moving and awaken. It was at that moment, that another sensation seized Blanche. She knew she was connecting with Vaughn’s mind once more. He was remembering the first time they made love.

“Michael?” Blanche queried, not sure of what would happen next.

“Ma cherie, s’il te plait, encore une fois . . . encore une fois . . . » he pleaded.
It was clear to Blanche that Vaughn was not in his right mind, but it didn’t seem to matter. She released his hands and allowed them to travel down to her waist. Then, they made their way to her breasts, where they stopped to tease, causing her nipples to become erect through the fabric of her top. Blanche moaned in response to Vaughn’s touch and leaned forward to allow him to remove her shirt. Once he pulled it over her head, Blanche began to kiss Vaughn. Her lips brushed against his in an almost teasing fashion.

Although Blanche wanted to remain in control, she found this was a losing battle. With every move she made, Vaughn made a countermove, which caused an even greater reaction from Blanche. It was like a chess match, each move was met with yet another countermove. While Blanche was teasing Vaughn with her kisses, he in turn, was caressing her thighs, massaging them, and eliciting responses from her that she never knew she had buried within.

For only a moment, Vaughn’s eyes opened. Blanche caught a glimpse and her eyes widened in response. “You’re awake?” It was more of an accusation rather than a question. Vaughn smiled and quickly flipped Blanche onto her back. He was now on top and Blanche beneath.

He was also able to move his legs.

“Encore une fois?” he teased.

Blanche smiled as she responded. “Mais oui . . . bien sur . . . encore
une fois.”

She quickly slid Vaughn’s boxers off his body. He in turn helped her out of the confining clothes she was wearing. Tonight both of them would take a journey to the past. It would still be a past, however, of which Blanche still had no memory.

no i dont want them together. he needs to go with that feeling for sydney. yup. no blanche. eeeww!! post more soon. can u pm me when you update? thanks

Back