Second Chances

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Second Chances</span>

‘Grrrll … Grrrll”
I slowly awoke to a very unusual sound. I roll over and lazily open one green eye. “Just Tom” I mutter, and roll back. Wait a minute… there!! There, in the corner of my steel cell I called a home, was a hole. Not a very big one, mind you, but I think I could squeeze through it. I creep, quietly as a mouse, to the corner. Looking around to make sure it’s safe; I scurry through the hole, as fast as my legs can take me. A tight fit, but I manage to get through. I rush down the corridors to an open window. Again small, but easily big enough for me to fit through. I hurry, wanting to get outside and out of my prison forever. I land swiftly on the other side of the window, and look around. I am free, free of my prison, free of my steel cage; free of my cold gruel they call food. Life is looking pretty good for this cat I think as I stretch my tail and ears out, feeling the breeze on my fur. Life is pretty good, the thought on my mind as I arch my back and twitch my whiskers. I look around excitedly, almost hungrily. This cat’s on the prowl.

I look around, my nose smelling something nice, something familiar, something … salty. Fish! my mind screams. I run towards the smell, my nose leading the way. Fish, Fish, FISH! My mind is screaming, and that thought is driving me on. Suddenly I screech to a halt. WATER!! Oh no, no, no!! I can see the fish, right there, almost in reach! But sadly, they are on a wooden pier, over a large body of…

Water. Every cat knows the story of the great Ancient Egyptian cat that belonged to Cleopatra. Isis, her name was. You see, back in Ancient Egypt, cats used to love water. They would practically live in water. They would … well, you get the idea. But one day, while swimming in the river Nile, Isis swam a bit too deep, and SNAP!! A crocodile ate her right up. No more Isis!!

Every since then, cats have never gone in water. We are deathly afraid of water, and I am not about to tempt fate. But the fish!?! I had to choose. Fish or water, fish or water? Just then a fishmonger pulled out a humongous tuna. Okay, I’ve decided!! I run towards the fishmonger, carefully avoiding the edges of the pier. Hey, I may want fish, but I’m not crazy! I reach the fishmonger and weave through and around his legs, meowing. “Hey, hey, get away mongrel!” he growls at me, kicking one of his legs out. In the process, he knocks over a bucket and smaller tuna fall out. Not being one to miss opportunity, I grab the one closest to me and run off the pier. Made it!!

I find a quiet little alley and enjoy eating my fish. Mmm, tuna! After I finish, I decide to take a little nap. “Just a little nap,” I say, yawning. “Just for a little while.” I curl up into a ball and sleep.

When I wake up I hear a big commotion going on outside. I slowly get up, stretching my limbs in a … well, in a very catlike way actually. I pad out of the alley and look across the street, where many people are trying to get into a large glass building. I run across the street, just as the big moving glass doors are opening. I go through them, mindful of the feet around me. I stop, and look around. I see a big open space with large square rooms on either side. People are going in and out of them, coming out with large bags. All I can see, though, is one particular shop, larger than the others, with boxes out front. An adventure! I move towards the boxes slowly, on the prowl. Then, when the time is just right, whoosh! I pounce on the boxes, and they scatter. Fun! What fun … oh no! Men are coming, and they don’t look happy. Escape, escape … ah! I run towards a leaving trolley, and jump onto the bottom shelf. Ah ha! I got away!

I wander around for a while, just looking at the people coming and going, when I see steps leading to another level. But not just any steps, no, these steps move. One set moves up, the other moving down. I wonder where it goes? Well, only one way to find out. I go to one set of stairs, and get on. That doesn’t get me far, I just come back down. I go to the other set moving upwards, and get on. Hey, I’m moving! This is fun!! When I get to the top of the stairs, I turn around and go onto the down stairs. This is great! Up, down, up, down, up, down, up … HEY!

I suddenly find myself up in the air, in someone’s arms. “Hey little kitty,” I hear someone say. I look up to find myself in the arms of a blonde woman standing next to a black haired man, both of them looking down at me. I feel a slight tug on my tail, and see two children standing next to the couple, the younger one holding my tail. “How would you like to come home with us, little lost kitty?” asks the man. “Want kitty!” said the little boy, an adorable three year old. The man and the woman look at each other, then at their daughter, and nod. “Let’s take him home,” says the woman, and they set off.

So here I am, lying beside a pool, sunbaking, while the children play in the water. “Come Benji!” calls Anabelle, the nine year old. Benji, that’s me, that’s my name. I have a second chance at life, one of freedom, fine foods and a warm bed to sleep in. Life is fantastic for this cat. I stroll over to Anabelle and her little brother Damien, just as they jump in the pool. Leaving me drenched from head to tail in cold wet water. I open my eyes and blink slowly. Well, usually life is fantastic.

i was kinda confused at the beginning but then i got onto the story. You've written our story in the perspective of a cat really well! thanks for sharing it ^_^

That was really cute.

Really confusing at first, but I loved the ancient Egyptian stuff.

Good work

Back